Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 12:04 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Where can I get me one of these?
Way too late, too much partying, not enough coffee..... Thanks for ketchup that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Way too late, too much partying, not enough coffee..... Thanks for ketchup that!
Autocorrect is great sometimes.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
It was something we got pretty quickly. Wife went in for a check up as she having seizures at night and cause by her sugar levels getting high. Dr said we would need to get a dog to wake her up and other means, said ok. Sign some paperwork and said it be a few days before i we would know. Didnt think about the cost or any thing else we needed as we wasnt expecting to get one so quickly. Week later got the call to go pick up this blood hound from a trainer and got his shot records and other things. The paperwork is in process, but we have the dog now. DR apply for a grant on our behalf, knowing we couldnt afford one and amazing we got him quickly. Surprised us both.
Just a update, we got permission to have the dog, just they need shot records. Didnt ask for anything else and back off on the deposit for now. Just waiting in the future for a complaint as we are the only ones who have a dog while rest doesnt, and been denied. so were treading water.

Im impressed that you got a dog that quickly. I know people who waited months for their dog and had to go through training with the dog before it was all said and done.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:49 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you are going to do it again...OK, for others in the same situation, .... it would have said a lot of trouble if you had notified your landlord at the time that the doctor prescribed the dog. Or when you were called and told a dog was available, instead of going to get the dog and taking it home without saying anything until the landlord saw the new dog living with you.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:57 AM

486 posts, read 416,252 times
I think it needs to be emphasized that the landlord can require documentation to the legitimacy of the dog as a service dog. Otherwise, anyone can simply claim any dog is and get around prohibitions, fees, rent, etc. The original poster should get a letter from the doctor saying the dog is necessary and is a legitimate service dog. That should clear up everything with the landlord very quickly (maybe include a copy of the relevant FHA regulations).

Old 05-25-2018, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
That's one expedited service dog!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Service dogs must be getting really demanding if they are asking for a deposit.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Little better info..

The dr visit was like 3 weeks ago, and we know the owner/trainer that had pups recently, and in process of basic training them. Wife has seizures at night due to diabetes, and thus need to wake her up, me or my son. So we got a bloodhound, and his bark and huge belly will wake up the whole house real quickly. We have a trainer that comes down every tue and thurs to help us modified his skills and anything else we needed. Dog is 8 months old, but needs to be train in public and events gatherings. We got the letters and proper paper work and provided it as a courtesy to our LL and he has back off on the deposit and rent fees, in exchange of any damages will result in court battles. Dog purpose is to alert us at night when wife has issues, and during day if she faints. His next skill set is to grab attention from by standers, if we are not around to get her help.

Just we wasnt prepare for additional fees when we already paying "rent" for our family dog. I guess if he living with us, he got to pay rent too.

Did the math, the extra fees we pay ends up being the same as our deposit for the year. So in the end, we get our money back but you still ended up with our deposit no matter what. Might as well say, Pet deposits non-refundable and dont charge us pet rents. Differ story another time.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:54 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
I think it needs to be emphasized that the landlord can require documentation to the legitimacy of the dog as a service dog. Otherwise, anyone can simply claim any dog is and get around prohibitions, fees, rent, etc. The original poster should get a letter from the doctor saying the dog is necessary and is a legitimate service dog. That should clear up everything with the landlord very quickly (maybe include a copy of the relevant FHA regulations).
Getting 2 sides. .one said NO and other saids yes.
In all states, it is illegal under federal law (the Fair Housing Act and Fair Housing Amendments Act) to charge an extra pet deposit for people with trained or service animals.

Service and assistance animals are not technically pets and owners do not have to pay pet fees. The landlord, however, can charge a security deposit and may still seek money from the tenant if there is any damage caused by the animal to the home.

The Fair Housing Act (FHA) and Assistance Animals : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 05-25-2018, 07:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Little better info..

The dr visit was like 3 weeks ago, and we know the owner/trainer that had pups recently, and in process of basic training them. Wife has seizures at night due to diabetes, and thus need to wake her up, me or my son. So we got a bloodhound, and his bark and huge belly will wake up the whole house real quickly. We have a trainer that comes down every tue and thurs to help us modified his skills and anything else we needed. Dog is 8 months old, but needs to be train in public and events gatherings. We got the letters and proper paper work and provided it as a courtesy to our LL and he has back off on the deposit and rent fees, in exchange of any damages will result in court battles. Dog purpose is to alert us at night when wife has issues, and during day if she faints. His next skill set is to grab attention from by standers, if we are not around to get her help.

Just we wasnt prepare for additional fees when we already paying "rent" for our family dog. I guess if he living with us, he got to pay rent too.

Did the math, the extra fees we pay ends up being the same as our deposit for the year. So in the end, we get our money back but you still ended up with our deposit no matter what. Might as well say, Pet deposits non-refundable and dont charge us pet rents. Differ story another time.
The bold is a requirement as part of the reasonable accommodation request, not a "courtesy" to the LL. Without proper documentation to accompany your reasonable accommodation request you can be asked to pay deposits and rents for the animal and there is nothing illegal about it. In your case it seems like English might not be your native language so I'd probably waive the official request as long as I got proof of the need for the animal via a doctor's note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting