Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Time to contact a lawyer of your own.

If that's a financial hardship, check here

https://www.valegalaid.org/resource/...enants-renting

You can find some info online, and you can also see if you qualify for legal aid.

If there are any law schools in the area, they may also have a legal clinic that can help you out
I hate when people suggest you get a lawyer like anyone can afford to pay $350 an hour or is willing to help them not get thrown out of a legal lease when there are other criminal matters they are busy doing probono.

She can tell them she will get a lawyer and her lawyer told her they have to wait 3 months to hear from him becuase he's busy.

She didn't do anything wrong. Right now only the RE agent is bullying her. If it comes to needing a lawyer it's easier for her to just move and get the remainder of rent paid, seems like the LL is not as bad as the RE agent.

Unfortunately she ran into a despicable, deplorable RE agent who instead of telling her that we will try to resolve this she is trying to blame her for just signing a lease and moving in. Any threats should be returned in kind is this vomit wants to keep her real state licence. She's a bully and they feed on perceived weakness and kind reasonable people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I hate when people suggest you get a lawyer like anyone can afford to pay $350 an hour or is willing to help them not get thrown out of a legal lease when there are other criminal matters they are busy doing probono.

She can tell them she will get a lawyer and her lawyer told her they have to wait 3 months to hear from him becuase he's busy.

She didn't do anything wrong. Right now only the RE agent is bullying her. If it comes to needing a lawyer it's easier for her to just move and get the remainder of rent paid, seems like the LL is not as bad as the RE agent.

Unfortunately she ran into a despicable, deplorable RE agent who instead of telling her that we will try to resolve this she is trying to blame her for just signing a lease and moving in. Any threats should be returned in kind is this vomit wants to keep her real state licence. She's a bully and they feed on perceived weakness and kind reasonable people.
And I hate it when people criticize when they clearly didn't read my post. I gave two resources for low or no cost legal assistance.

But the reality is that this IS a legal situation and the OP is being badly served by getting contradictory advice from people who may not know the correct law in OP's jurisdiction. There are times where it's worth going to the expert and this is one of those times.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
And I hate it when people criticize when they clearly didn't read my post. I gave two resources for low or no cost legal assistance.

But the reality is that this IS a legal situation and the OP is being badly served by getting contradictory advice from people who may not know the correct law in OP's jurisdiction. There are times where it's worth going to the expert and this is one of those times.
Your resources are meaningless no one is going to help her when she's not even being sued or evicted.

It's not a legal situation. She has a lease that they made a mistake on and they have to eat it. It's not her problem but they are trying to make her out to be the problem. She's not being sued for a million dollars if it becomes too much she can move.

You can't go to legal aid because a RE agent is being a jerk.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Your resources are meaningless no one is going to help her when she's not even being sued or evicted.

It's not a legal situation. She has a lease that they made a mistake on and they have to eat it. It's not her problem but they are trying to make her out to be the problem. She's not being sued for a million dollars if it becomes too much she can move.
Gee, imagine that, I made it through 3 years of law school and 30 years of practicing law and no one ever told me that everything I work on is not a legal case unless there is an active suit or eviction proceeding.

Nope, sorry but you remain wrong. A lawyer can help stop a suit or eviction from happening in the first place, which would be, I don't know, perhaps a good thing.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Gee, imagine that, I made it through 3 years of law school and 30 years of practicing law and no one ever told me that everything I work on is not a legal case unless there is an active suit or eviction proceeding.

Nope, sorry but you remain wrong. A lawyer can help stop a suit or eviction from happening in the first place, which would be, I don't know, perhaps a good thing.
Now you know, welcome to the real world where everyone doesn't run to a lawyer for idle threats when the do nothing wrong.

They can't evict without a reason. The reason that the RE agent and or LL made a mistake is not a valid reason plus eviction can take more than three months. Then she can sue the LL and RE agent and have the eviction overturned, which it won't even come to that. Oh and can't confirm or deny if I work for someone on the Supreme court.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Now you know, welcome to the real world where everyone doesn't run to a lawyer for idle threats when the do nothing wrong.

They can't evict without a reason. The reason that the RE agent and or LL made a mistake is not a valid reason plus eviction can take more than three months. Then she can sue the LL and RE agent and have the eviction overturned, which it won't even come to that. Oh and can't confirm or deny if I work for someone on the Supreme court.
Oh, yes, far better to be evicted and sue to get it overturned, than to be proactive and stop it from happening in the first place. Not.

And whether or not you "work for someone on the Supreme court" it seems pretty clear it's not as an attorney.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes, far better to be evicted and sue to get it overturned, than to be proactive and stop it from happening in the first place. Not.

And whether or not you "work for someone on the Supreme court" it seems pretty clear it's not as an attorney.
Supreme court judge John Roberts. but I can't confirm or deny.

If you want to help her why no offer her your services? Sometimes all it takes is a letter.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Supreme court judge John Roberts. but I can't confirm or deny.

If you want to help her why no offer her your services? Sometimes all it takes is a letter.
Because I don't practice in Virginia and don't assume I know the law in states that I'm not licensed in. Why don't you ask your employer John Roberts? Since all he'd have to do is sign a letter that you should presumably be able to draft for him, right?

Old 05-31-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Because I don't practice in Virginia and don't assume I know the law in states that I'm not licensed in. Why don't you ask your employer John Roberts? Since all he'd have to do is sign a letter that you should presumably be able to draft for him, right?
He's busy, but Ill keep it in mind, toodles.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:19 PM

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-managers.html

The Eviction Process in Virginia: Rules for Landlords and Property Managers

The first step in evicting a tenant is terminating the tenancy. If a landlord wants to evict a tenant before the term of the tenancy has ended, then the landlord must have legal cause. The most common legal causes of eviction are the tenant’s failure to pay rent or violation of the lease or rental agreement. However, the landlord can also evict the tenant for committing an illegal act, such as drug use or possession on the premises. For most of these situations, the landlord will first need to give the tenant notice before terminating the tenancy and filing an eviction lawsuit against the tenant.

Notice for Termination Without Cause
A landlord cannot evict a tenant simply because the landlord does not like that person. If the landlord does not have a legal reason for eviction, then the landlord must wait until the term of the tenancy has expired before expecting the tenant to move. Depending on the type of tenancy, the landlord may still need to provide the tenant with notice.

OP any more threats and print the link out and hand it to the property manager, landlord and HOA if they get involved. take your copy of the lease, make a copy of it. scan it to a computer, email it to yourself and put in in an email folder. You will always have a copy should you need it that way Good Luck.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 05-31-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting