Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 445 times

Advertisements

I'm a felon just released after doing 9 1/2 years in prison. I have a job and still looking for a better one. I'm in need of a place to call my own but it's hard, I keep getting denied even if I'm up front about my record. They accept my application fee and down payment knowing they will not accept me as a tenant. So where I'm I suppose to go from here? Mind you I'm 35 years old and have a 14 year old I can't support because we have no place to stay. He lives with my mom and I live with my aunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 250 times
To DL Robinson:
I am an elderly, homeless, disabled male on a fixed income in the state of Nevada. As of 2007, I happen to also become a victim that has been subjected to the new sex offender registry laws, which has forced me into leaving my home and a daughter, whom I was given custody of by the same state that later chose to say that I am now a threat and danger to society, all based on an alleged offense I served 18 months for over 30 years ago. Is there any way possible that you could possibly help me with receiving assistance to find suitable residency? I am a trustworthy individual and I can prove that if you’re willing and able to help me.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:04 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
I used to be idealistic and not care about criminal records. After having rented to felons, I can confidently say that about 7 out of 10 make the worst tenants.

They continue to have the attitude that "I've been in prison, paying rent late or not paying rent at all and getting evicted is NOTHING".

My last convicted felon broke into his own apartment because he locked himself out destroying both front and back doors in the process.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:31 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Never say never, but I can't see myself doing so. There are places that will rent to felons, but my rental property is in a desirable area, so I see no need to take the risk to rent to felons when there is more than enough demand from folks with clean records who would like to rent my unit.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:36 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I am happy that my landlord screens every tenant. but even pets are not allowed in some buildings and they have not committed a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting