Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 03:35 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm well aware.
I have spent a lot of time spent in many CA coastal areas but could never figure a way to stay.
It's not easy here, unless you bought a house before it got expensive, or have other sources of income/money. If I hadn't grown up here and still have family/friends around, I'd probably have bailed years ago. Kinda missed that window of opportunity, though, which is why I'm trying to make it work for now.

Quote:
OTOH... if they were to forsake the 15% retirement saving mentioned they would have that for housing.
What do you see your neighbors and friends forsaking in order to live there?
I have no idea, since I don't know any neighbors well enough to pry that deeply. Most of my neighborhood is made up of foreign tech workers (since we're right near Apple & a few other tech giants), so their situation is probably a lot different... in some cases they even have a housing allowance, and likely get employer-contributed retirement accounts if anything.

I work in public services, so we get CalPERS deducted before taxes + around double that amount contributed by the county. So I guess if we're adding retirement & benefits (since they also pay full medical/dental/vision), I can tack on an extra $30,000/yr to my income! I always forget about that since it doesn't feel like real income, lol.

Quote:
Nope. The majority manages it pretty well (There are about 20 threads here with anecdotes).
Of course the majority don't live alone or in insanely high RE cost places like the Bay Area.
Also, you have to account for a certain number of posters who aren't 100% honest. I don't doubt anyone without good reason, but I do sometimes wonder how SO MANY posters here (all of the C-D forums) are perfect... the Work & Employment forum is a great example, where you see people claiming things like "I've never been late to work in 30 years." Suuuuure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 11:06 PM

325 posts, read 163,640 times
after a year i would much rather own my own home than tossing money out the window renting!!! i can do as i please in my own home unlike a rental and i get that. no loud neighbors ect ect

Old 11-04-2018, 03:56 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
after a year i would much rather own my own home than tossing money out the window renting!!! i can do as i please in my own home unlike a rental and i get that. no loud neighbors ect ect
Bingo. Plus, so many added fees in renting. In two years, I have paid $1,080.00 just in PET RENTS. That is not counting my NON-REFUNDABLE pet deposit which was over $1,000.00 ($ 350.00 per pet which is pretty standard, at least here).

Old 11-04-2018, 04:37 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
There was a great story once about a couple who bought a house fairly early in their marriage, because every time some spending decision came up - like buying an expensive Starbucks coffee - they stopped themselves, and backed off.

I was okay with renting. Not everyone wants the bother or responsibility of being an owner. But keep in mind that owning doesn't necessarily protect you from noise, either.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:28 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Why do people think it's hard to save money as a renter? If someone is unable to that means they living beyond their means.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why do people think it's hard to save money as a renter? If someone is unable to that means they living beyond their means.
I can only speak for my neck of the woods, where it is cheaper to buy than rent.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
There was a great story once about a couple who bought a house fairly early in their marriage, because every time some spending decision came up - like buying an expensive Starbucks coffee - they stopped themselves, and backed off.

I was okay with renting. Not everyone wants the bother or responsibility of being an owner. But keep in mind that owning doesn't necessarily protect you from noise, either.
It is my income keeping me from a mortgage, not my love of latte's, unfortunately.

I agree with you about the noise, although not sharing walls significantly lowers the chances of having to live with such noise. And then, it is usually barking dogs or something like that.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I can only speak for my neck of the woods, where it is cheaper to buy than rent.
Just made me laugh that a person who is single can't save because they rent

Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Just made me laugh that a person who is single can't save because they rent
That is one of the most judgemental comments I have ever read on here. You don't know me, what I make, how much my rent is, how I struggle financially and can't get a better job or even a second job. Being in my 50's does not help in the job market, either. Glad my problems brought a smile to your face.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
That is one of the most judgemental comments I have ever read on here. You don't know me, what I make, how much my rent is, how I struggle financially and can't get a better job or even a second job. Being in my 50's does not help in the job market, either. Glad my problems brought a smile to your face.
My statement was toward the OP who made this comment below

"What's the point of throwing money away every month when you can buy a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting