Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,768,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
My fiancé and I are 24 and renting a condo now. Our eventual goal is to own a home, but we’d like to get established first. Get some working years under our belt, learn to live in our own full time, and handling all bill responsibilities, etc.

I think renting is the best option for us currently because of those reasons, as well as the fact that we are not responsible for issues that arise. As a homeowner, repairs can be costly and frequent, it’s nice to know that an issue that pops up isn’t on us now.

We are friends with a couple a year older than us who bought recently. They’ve racked up massive credit card debt because of unforeseen repairs that had to get done. From my own personal experience, people who are buying young, have a tough time affording things when something goes wrong. You almost have to hope you don’t need repairs or something doesn’t break.
True, especially the 3 "biggies": Sinkholes, roof and central air (although, I actually prefer window units).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 11:33 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
No, I am not in any of those groups. I am older and mobile. I have no kids.
I could move to where wages are higher, but then houses would cost more, too.
You're not alone. There is an unprecedented number of adults living alone.
The answer seems to be sharing; because you can't afford to do it alone.

Quote:
But if the "3 x salary" mortgage rule is true, I could never qualify.
The 3X is just the first pass rule of thumb. There are deeper quals most LL's or lenders require.
Target your budget so that one WEEKLY paycheck can cover all your MONTHLY housing costs. Util's incl.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
Quote:
No, I am not in any of those groups. I am older and mobile. I have no kids. But if the "3 x salary" mortgage rule is true, I could never qualify. I could move to where wages are higher, but then houses would cost more, too.
It's not true it's debt to income ratio. If you don't have a lot of debt you can qualify, go to a bank and find out how much you qualify for. That's how I started my process. I was surprised that I did qualify to buy a starter home in a decent area.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's not true it's debt to income ratio. If you don't have a lot of debt you can qualify, go to a bank and find out how much you qualify for. That's how I started my process. I was surprised that I did qualify to buy a starter home in a decent area.
I have no debt and my credit is excellent. But I simply don't make enough money. Isn't that the biggest thing they will look at? I have used mortgage calculators and I know what I can afford, but I would still need financing.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:30 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
I have no debt and my credit is excellent. But I simply don't make enough money. Isn't that the biggest thing they will look at? I have used mortgage calculators and I know what I can afford, but I would still need financing.
Add up the housing payment you'd potentially have, along with all your other monthly bills. ALL your bills.

If you make more than you would be spending and have excellent credit, you should be able to find a lender.

I'd not advise doing this though unless you have some decent savings as well.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 10-24-2018 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2018, 12:36 PM

486 posts, read 416,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
They’ve racked up massive credit card debt because of unforeseen repairs that had to get done. From my own personal experience, people who are buying young, have a tough time affording things when something goes wrong. You almost have to hope you don’t need repairs or something doesn’t break.
No, they bought a house they couldn't afford and don't have an emergency fund. Everyone needs an emergency fund, and it needs to be even bigger when you own a home. Way too people scrape together a little, put 3% down because that's all they save up, and then are house poor. That isn't a problem with home ownership, that's a problem with horrible personal finances.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I feel renting is much easier than being a homeowner. Houses take a lot of work and money to maintain it all. Owning a house is not for everyone and many people wind up broke due to a mortgage and expenses they could never really afford.
And then there is this.
I don't have a mortgage, but crap is always breaking and it's irritating.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:10 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
For me, it depended on the circumstances for living in that particular place. If I knew I wasn't going to stay there long or I knew major life changes would be occurring soon, renting was the best choice. No reason to feel sad about that. No long commitment, hassle with buying/selling a home, worrying about the real estate market, and a simpler departure to the next place. If I knew I wanted to stay put and become part of a community for years, buying a house made sense as long as it wan't a financial hardship (if it wasn't feasible financially, why subject myself to that sort of stress?). Owning isn't a requirement of life. I've purchased 3 homes in my life and got the typical satisfaction of ownership. Now that much of the "joy" of property maintenance has lost it's bloom, I can see renting the next place instead. That way I could go somewhere else a lot more easily.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
There is no requirement to buy anything. If it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
This is so funny. I grew up in NYC, renting was pretty much all people did. I rent now and have all my life. Feel sad? Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting