Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:39 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

but evidently not! Since I live in a good sized house, by myself, and could use some monetary help, I decided to rent out my spare bedroom. I posted an ad on Craigslist and, amazingly enough, got nine calls in two days! Three were men but I prefer an older woman, which I stated in my ad. There were two very young 20 somethings but I don't want to live with 'youth' and their habits, company, etc.. All five of those were 'no'. Then there were two who had deal breakers of their own...I smoke and put that in the ad too so why did they call?? That left two. One was a total alcoholic, no job, no transportation and two cats. Cats are "okay", the rest not. That left one!

We talked on the phone twice and met at the house twice. She seemed enthusiastic enough and liked what she'd be getting for her money. A bedroom, private bathroom and a private sitting/TV/dressing room including the TV and DVR. All furnished and including ALL utilities, Dish TV, internet/wifi, kitchen and laundry privileges AND her own side by side fridge freezer. I charge $550 a month for it all. I keep it low so 'older ladies' can afford it.

Well....this lady has been here one month and I'm going crazy! She doesn't have allergies but she cannot stand anything that 'smells good'. No scented candles, no air fresheners, no wax burners and now she's complaining about my hair spray! Even when I don't use it she claims she can smell it and, even with my bathroom door shut, she'll shut my bedroom door as well. She went around and picked up all my wax burners and put them somewhere. She has an aversion to LIGHT of all things. My house is ungodly black at night with all the lights off so I've had night lights in my LR and kitchen for nearly four years. She took it upon herself to remove those too! Claims the light seeps under her bedroom door and 'bothers her'. Over two weeks ago she tore her bathroom up claiming it was "filthy", which it wasn't. My daughter had just moved out and cleaned it thoroughly. It STILL isn't put back together. She closed the small bathroom window I always kept cracked to let out steam and humidity but she's been here a month and hasn't used the shower even one time! Or done a load of laundry either. All her 'stuff' is still scattered around her rooms and not put away. I stay away from that side of the house because it upsets me that someone could so disrespect my home! And then there's the "noise". She wants it totally quiet! If I leave the TV on and come into my office she will go turn it off! I'm listening to it!! It's like she moved in and took over MY house, dictating what I can/cannot have/do in my own home! She swears she is always cold and has taken over the thermostat but I put a stop to that. Put on some more clothes! My gas bill doubled this month! It stays around 70-75 in here most of the time so...

Found out over time that she was homeless for a very long time and, I swear, still lives like it. She won't use the microwave or coffee maker. Refuses to use tap water and won't eat anything cooked in it. She buys gallons of distilled water instead. She makes 'cowboy coffee' on the stove but she doesn't cook anything else. All her food is in her fridge and still in the bags it came home in. Everything she owns is in Walmart shopping bags. AND she NEVER leaves the house so is here 24/7! Next renter WILL have a job to go to! And I will rent again but, boy, do I have more questions to ask! I did a pretty thorough background check on this woman and she came up 'clean' but I guess you really don't know someone till you try to live with them.

We had a 'talk' this morning. She says I have to "compromise". I've gone along with every single thing she's complained about but I'm done. It's still MY house. I suggested she find another place to live and I'll even help her. I am gearing up for the not paying rent on the first but, oh yes, she will! OR all her 'stuff' will be on the porch within two hours! She can pay me and if she finds a place before the month ends I'll happily give her the cash for the remainder. She did sign a lease but, thankfully, I made it month to month.

Sorry this is so long but it's been building up for a while. I know there are even a few MORE things to add to the list but enough is enough.

How do others handle stuff like this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 11:48 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I posted an ad on Craigslist
Aw, sorry this has been such a learning experience for you AZ! CL would be my last place to advertise if I wanted a tenant. First I would try maybe NextDoor or Facebook Marketplace.

I'm hoping you are using a month-to-month model lease so all you will need to do is give your tenant 30 days notice to get her out. Be very careful you understand your legal options if that's not the case.

There are good tenants out there, but landlording is always stressful IMO, especially if you are sharing your own space with someone.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:51 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post

CL would be my last place to advertise if I wanted a tenant.
I agree.

I avoid it by not sharing space with tenants. But if I were going to have someone IN my home, I would only use someone recommended by someone I know personally.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:55 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
There are some legitimate health issues related to sensitivity to light and odors; but it seems like she should talk to you about it instead of taking over the shared spaces.

And yes, be careful to avoid illegally evicting her, as that will only cause you more headaches!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:57 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Ugh. She sounds like a nightmare.
Start running rental reference checks on future tenants, and get work paystubs.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Aw, sorry this has been such a learning experience for you AZ! CL would be my last place to advertise if I wanted a tenant. First I would try maybe NextDoor or Facebook Marketplace.

I'm hoping you are using a month-to-month model lease so all you will need to do is give your tenant 30 days notice to get her out. Be very careful you understand your legal options if that's not the case.

There are good tenants out there, but landlording is always stressful IMO, especially if you are sharing your own space with someone.

I think you're right. Soon as I can I'll relist on NextDoor or FB. I really do need someone here to help out monetarily and also around the house. I figure if two people share a house they should share the upkeep as well. And that's another thing...dishes! I generally clean as I go when I cook so have very little to do after I eat. Sometimes I have to leave something soak a while in the sink. If she has dishes to wash I'll do them along with mine but if *I* have anything in the sink she'll put it on the counter and leave it. She wears these huge heavy gloves to wash dishes so I probably don't do it to her specs. lol

Yes, it's a month to month lease but I don't anticipate any problem moving her out....although I am on guard! I've had people live with me before, for varying lengths of time and mostly just to help them get on their feet. None of them paid rent and only one paid half the utilities. They were a lot easier to live with than this! Well, one was my daughter for a year. I miss her!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree.

I avoid it by not sharing space with tenants. But if I were going to have someone IN my home, I would only use someone recommended by someone I know personally.

I asked people I know if they knew of anyone but nobody did. I guess we're all doing okay these days!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
There are some legitimate health issues related to sensitivity to light and odors; but it seems like she should talk to you about it instead of taking over the shared spaces.

And yes, be careful to avoid illegally evicting her, as that will only cause you more headaches!

I realize there really are people with health issues but this is what kills me...she complains about stuff that smells good but she smokes like a chimney and that doesn't seem to bother her 'smeller'. She also does medical MJ and THAT smell doesn't bother her.

I learned a lot from my parents about renting/evictions, etc. because they owned rentals for about 40 years. So, yes, I'll be mindful of what I can and can't do. With her though, I'm thinking she must be used to this sort of thing and won't fight it. Found out she was only in her last place ONE month as well. I really need to talk to former landlords about these people! AND insist on references as well. See? I'm adding a whole bunch of stuff for the 'next one'! lol

As for "taking over the shared spaces", here's another one! She is on her laptop all.day.long from the time she gets up till she goes to bed. I have NO idea what she does but says she's "researching" something and watching documentaries all day long. She won't, however, use her own sitting room which contains a very nice recliner, TV and desk with chair. No, she piles herself, pillows, drinks, coffee, shopping bags and food on the couch and coffee table in the LIVING ROOM. Complains the room gets "cold". Well, it's a fairly large room with high ceilings so it probably does cool off quick sometimes but her SMALLER room wouldn't and she just refuses to use it.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Ugh. She sounds like a nightmare.
Start running rental reference checks on future tenants, and get work paystubs.

She doesn't work. She has widows benefits from social security. The rent in just a tad over 25% of her income. She also has disabilities.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:56 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

How do others handle stuff like this??
If no one that is applying seems right it's a higher power or the universe telling you to wait or to not rent to the wrong person.

First thing I would do is tell them they have to use the Smart Move online system to do a full background check on them. It will cost them $40, but I would tel them after their 6th month rent I would return their $40. Then they process the info online so they don't have to give you their social security number and then you get a report if they have ever been arrested or evicted, etc.

and if you or the other person is home all day that can be a problem too.

Look for someone else but be patient and at the first sign that they were a P,i,t,A you should have let them know.

When they start imagining smells of hairspray when you are not wearing any it's time to give them a warning to leave.

There is no way someone is going to tell me how to live in my own house. I use nightlights too and no one is touching them, You don't turn off my TV and I will tell you that I make breakfast in the morning so get earplugs if you don't like it.

Sounds like this lady has mental problems, hope she leaves soon.

Had you asked for references I doubt anyone would have been able to vouch for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting