Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 01:38 PM

14,562 posts, read 23,090,940 times

Advertisements

And to answer the OP's question:

If you don't already have a healthcare provider, there are no shortage of online services providing teleconference screenings for people who wish to have an ESA. They generally have you fill out a questionnaire and then a consult with a licensed professional who will then make their determination and act accordingly. Services following this model satisfy the HUD/FHA guidelines and must be accepted by any landlord who is bound by the FHA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2021, 01:46 PM

14,562 posts, read 23,090,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
You think it benefits a tenant who labels themselves upfront as being so emotionally fragile they need their pet certified as a medical aid is someone you want to be in a contractual relationship with?
Yes, absolutely.

I work in behavioral health, so I happen to know a thing or two about this (and you--obviously--do not) and many people who benefit from ESAs live perfectly normal lives with a little bit of assistance. They are people no different from you or I. This idea that even the most benign mental illness makes someone a pariah is absolutely disgusting.

Quote:
You are better off just saying you have a pet and keeping your emotional needs private.
Bull****. Who the hell are you to make such a determination for other people?

Quote:
The majority of those claiming the need for an emotional support animal are simply trying to circumvent no pet rules, have gotten a breed nobody wants to rent to or who don’t want to pay pet fees. Internet ESA letter mills have contributed to the problem and are the reason for them being viewed as such a joke.
Irrelevant.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:30 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benntleyyharry View Post
Can anyone suggest me where can i get esa letter for housing online...
Beware of sites that:

1. Approve you for an ESA letter after only asking a few questions online.

2. Have you message or talk with a mental healthcare professional who is not located in your state (often overseas).

3. Offer ESA letters that are suspiciously cheap. Anything less than $120 should arouse suspicion.

4. Register your emotional support animal and tell you registration is sufficient for protecting your rights. Registration is NOT the same as getting an ESA letter.

Talking to a mental health professional or doctor licensed to practice in your state is the ONLY way to obtain a valid ESA letter. You can talk to them in person, on the phone or over video chat.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:18 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,794,556 times
Landlords will always find a reason to deny an applicant with an ESA pet (and I DO mean pet, because that is what an ESA animal is). Just find a unit that allows pets, and move there. Or pay the pet fee that is required.

Anytime someone mentions ESA, they go to the bottom of the list. In today's incredibly tight rental market (due to the pandemic eviction moratorium), landlords have tons of qualified applicants to choose from, who don't have an ESA pet.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:15 AM

865 posts, read 442,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Yes, absolutely.

I work in behavioral health, so I happen to know a thing or two about this (and you--obviously--do not) and many people who benefit from ESAs live perfectly normal lives with a little bit of assistance. They are people no different from you or I. This idea that even the most benign mental illness makes someone a pariah is absolutely disgusting.

Bull****. Who the hell are you to make such a determination for other people?

Irrelevant.
Well you are wrong if you think a landlord wants someone with problems. They want people they can trust with their properties so look for people without problems. It is never in your best interest to label yourself as someone with problems when you are competing with people without problems. A pet provides emotional support for anyone. Keeping your problems to yourself is the best practice.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:16 AM

865 posts, read 442,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Landlords will always find a reason to deny an applicant with an ESA pet (and I DO mean pet, because that is what an ESA animal is). Just find a unit that allows pets, and move there. Or pay the pet fee that is required.

Anytime someone mentions ESA, they go to the bottom of the list. In today's incredibly tight rental market (due to the pandemic eviction moratorium), landlords have tons of qualified applicants to choose from, who don't have an ESA pet.
Exactly! Keep your problems to yourself.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:36 AM

6,883 posts, read 4,896,899 times
I think a lot of the problems surrounding ESAs would be solved if the ESA was required to go through the same training as a service animal.

Of course I think all people should train or have their dogs trained to obey a few commands and not go beserk when they are out in public and see another dog or a cat or a dandelion blowing in the breeze.

A shaking, raging chihuahua, for example, should never be considered an ESA.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:27 AM

268 posts, read 273,992 times
Don't most people who get or have a pet do it because of the fun, joy, companionship it brings them? So why even have an ESA designation? Who thought that up?

Old 07-10-2021, 01:12 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,052,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
Don't most people who get or have a pet do it because of the fun, joy, companionship it brings them? So why even have an ESA designation? Who thought that up?
To avoid pet rent, pet deposits and to try and force non pet units accept their pets

Old 07-10-2021, 01:24 PM

268 posts, read 273,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
To avoid pet rent, pet deposits and to try and force non pet units accept their pets
Typical. Some a-hole always comes along, figures out how the cheat the system and screws things up for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting