Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 08:40 AM

6,832 posts, read 11,568,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
I now require an in-home visit of their current residence before giving final approval as well. Sticking to these requirements has never failed to serve me well and is the reason I have great tenants.
How would you handle someone who is currently living out of state, or maybe someone who relocated for a job and is temporarily living in a extended stay motel? Reject them out of hand? (I’m not trying to bust your chops, just curious).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 10:34 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
My small LL operation employer does 60X monthly for annual income minimum. It has been as high as 80x in the past. Must have over 700 credit. Plus the employment has to be practically white collar. If not then need guarantor. This is for Manhattan in NYC (not Kansas).
So if rent is 5000 a month in Manhattan, income must 300k a year? WOW!

Old 07-03-2023, 04:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,981,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Good points Beachbum.....I generally agree, except that as a Licensed Contr, using handymen is a recipe for disaster. There are good reasons that people are licensed (In the states where they are).
Licensed Contr just pull permits and sign papers. It is the handymen working for them that actually do the work especially if this is a large operation. The licensed guy just makes sure everything is done right.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:26 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,981,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
NYC is tenant town, so gots make sure rent is peanuts for the renters.

Old 07-03-2023, 04:48 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,804,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Licensed Contr just pull permits and sign papers. It is the handymen working for them that actually do the work especially if this is a large operation. The licensed guy just makes sure everything is done right.
Handymen don't (generally) work for GCs. They are sole proprietors with their own businesses, licensing and insurance...

Old 07-03-2023, 06:34 PM

13,823 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
What are LLs currently using as criteria? Still 650 min credit score? 3x rent for income? No BKs or evictions?
I use 640 minimum credit score, 3.5 times the rent and no evictions. I own rental property in Az and it's farily easy to remove tenants who break the lease agreemen.

Recently I accepted a renter who filed for bankruptcy several years ago, so her credit score wasn't good. However, she earns 75k a year and the income was verified. She was renting from an owner who is selling the home. He told me there were no problems with the woman, but you can never be sure.

This woman paid a pro-rated rent for June along with one month deposit. She asked if she could pay July rent on the 1st instead of with the pro-rated June rent. I said O.K. Again her verified income showed she could afford the rent. No evictions and nothing out of the ordinary outside credit card debt and a car loan.

On July 1st she didn't pay the rent, nor did she contact me. This set off a red flag.

I texted her, Can you please check your banking? I haven't received the rent. Thanks John

She didn't respond until the next day and said moving expenses and recent car trouble left her short and could she pay this Thursday?

I responded, O.k., but I have sent you a five-day notice for non-payment. Per our lease agreement overdue rent must be paid by certified check or money order. The late fee is $25 per day. No partial payment will be accepted. Unfortunately, I am under financial pressure and need the rent to be paid on time. Please let me know when you want me to come by and pick up the certified check or money order. Thank you.

She replied, "My son is in the ER and I'm under a lot of stress. Am I being evicted?

I said, no, I just need to be sure the rent is promptly paid each month. I'm under a lot of financial pressure. The July rent needs to be paid within five days after receiving notice being sent by certified mail.

She said, I will pay it Thursday for sure.

I said, Thank you.

Again this is a new tenant. If she was going to be a week late in paying the rent, she should have contacted me. The fact she didn't makes me nervous which is why spelled out the terms of our agreement. No partial payment and I will come by to pick up a certified check or money order. If the late fees haven't been included I will not accept the check or money order.

I would prefer not to evict the woman, but we have a one-year lease agreement and don't want to chase down the rent every month.

I like things simple: I make sure my rentals are in very good condition before move-in. And if there is a problem I will be over within an hour.

In turn I want the rent to be paid on time. She has bills but...so do I.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:43 PM

13,823 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Each landlord has his very own rental criteria. There is no universal criteria for selecting tenants.

But basically, landlords are trying to find a tenant who will pay the rent on time, not damage the building, and is at least halfway reasonable to work with.

There it is..

Old 07-03-2023, 09:51 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,888,920 times
Quote:
Standard is 40x. Some places are 40x among all tenants on lease combined, others are at least one tenant has to do 40x alone. Guarantor (if used) is normally 80x. 60x isn't unheard of but also very much not the norm.

5000 a month rent in Manhattan would be either someone very wealthy (Wall Street, family money), upper middle class DINKs, or being split by 20-30 something roommates. The last is the least desirable for landlords (turn over more frequently, tend to put more wear and tear on units) but are a large chunk of the market and places that turns them away tends to be a bit cheaper relative to those that accepts them all else held equal. Anyway that was the case when I was one of those 20-30 somethings renting in Manhattan.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:08 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Standard is 40x. Some places are 40x among all tenants on lease combined, others are at least one tenant has to do 40x alone. Guarantor (if used) is normally 80x. 60x isn't unheard of but also very much not the norm.

5000 a month rent in Manhattan would be either someone very wealthy (Wall Street, family money), upper middle class DINKs, or being split by 20-30 something roommates. The last is the least desirable for landlords (turn over more frequently, tend to put more wear and tear on units) but are a large chunk of the market and places that turns them away tends to be a bit cheaper relative to those that accepts them all else held equal. Anyway that was the case when I was one of those 20-30 somethings renting in Manhattan.
I was just picking 5k, but what is a rent range for the 40x tenant?

Old 07-04-2023, 10:02 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,888,920 times
Quote:
I was just picking 5k, but what is a rent range for the 40x tenant?
There isn't really a standard, NYC has a huge range based on precise location. $5K would be a one bedroom in the fanciest parts of Manhattan, or a small three bedroom in a good but not top-tier part of Manhattan / north Brooklyn split among friends. Meanwhile go out to the ethnic areas further out on the subway system and you're talking under $2K for a 1 bed.

Back when I lived there about $1.5K per working adult was closest thing to average people actually paid in the circles I ran in (young professionals, keeping in mind that's per person paying in, not per apartment), but it's probably higher now with inflation. Seeing the handful of buildings priced below market with de facto no roommate rules by not allowing combined qualification to hit 40x was always frustrating but most listings allowed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting