Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 10:38 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightMan View Post
haha. I guess the real estate forum was the wrong place to ask. Prolly inhabited by a bunch of rich developers who enjoy price gouging all the tenants out there. What goes around comes around as they will find out sooner or later. Maybe I'll just do as so many have already done and pitch a tent.
I see your problem. You have the entitled victim mentality. There’s plenty of mom and pop landlords that are fair and working with people who don’t qualify.
Many have been victimized by renters who took advantage of the landlords. I had a tenant that didn’t qualify that I gave a chance to. I had to evict her and it cost me about 8k in lost rent and damages and fees.
So yes I hope it goes around as you say. It goes both ways as renters who screwed over landlords will get theirs in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 07:17 PM

24 posts, read 14,208 times
Default If DJT gets in office..

Quote:
haha. I guess the real estate forum was the wrong place to ask. Prolly inhabited by a bunch of rich developers who enjoy price gouging all the tenants out there. What goes around comes around as they will find out sooner or later. Maybe I'll just do as so many have already done and pitch a tent.
computer glitch 2nd try: you are likely to see a huge backlash against all these greedy rental companies. People in most cities are now living in tents due to rental companies avarice and greed. If Trump does get it, it may well change. But let's face it America is on it's way out. If trump can't fix it, unlikely due to more voter fraud and possible assassination, there is likely to be civil war, not just on the rent issue but many issues.
I posted a sincere request for help and mostly what I got back is a hostile attitude. That tell me that the forum I posted in is lilely inhabited by rental agents and those profiting off the gouging of anyone not rich in America. There is no reason why an apt. that rented for $500 is suddenly requiring $1000 to $1500 to rent. No reason other than the disintegration of the Country under the hands of criminal fraudsters and uber rich global reset forces.

Last edited by TwilightMan; 01-26-2024 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: wrong thread line

Old 01-26-2024, 07:19 PM

This post was mean to be a reply to another post and was misdirected to my earlier post, not sure why. Having some computer glitches here.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I see your problem. You have the entitled victim mentality. There’s plenty of mom and pop landlords that are fair and working with people who don’t qualify.
Many have been victimized by renters who took advantage of the landlords. I had a tenant that didn’t qualify that I gave a chance to. I had to evict her and it cost me about 8k in lost rent and damages and fees.
So yes I hope it goes around as you say. It goes both ways as renters who screwed over landlords will get theirs in the end.
Except for the victim mentality part I agree. But you don't see mom and pop rentals online. All you see are big corps trying to get personal information from you without offering anything in return. You have to be boots on the ground to access those mom and pop landlords. The last one i had I was with like 6 years, always paid on time and helped him manage his property. In return he refused to replace a bad refridgerator except with a clunk noisy piece of junk that wouldn't let me sleep. So much for my on tmie every month rental payments being appreciated. Landlords in the USA have WAY too many rights and tenants little to none. That needs to change. Another reason people are living in tents in cities all across the Country.

Old 01-27-2024, 09:00 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Except for the victim mentality part I agree. But you don't see mom and pop rentals online. All you see are big corps trying to get personal information from you without offering anything in return. You have to be boots on the ground to access those mom and pop landlords. The last one i had I was with like 6 years, always paid on time and helped him manage his property. In return he refused to replace a bad refridgerator except with a clunk noisy piece of junk that wouldn't let me sleep. So much for my on tmie every month rental payments being appreciated. Landlords in the USA have WAY too many rights and tenants little to none. That needs to change. Another reason people are living in tents in cities all across the Country.
My son lives in Washington DC where the real estate listings are out of control. A friend gave him a name of a small real estate agency that has lower priced units which aren't listed elsewhere. If you visit local real estate offices, you might find one.

Some cities like NYC have more tenant rights than other states like Virginia. You can do a search on the internet to research this.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:06 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Its a complex issue. As a small time “hands on” private Landlord, I always renew my leases well below market for my good tenants. But taxes and insurance, plus repair and maintenance costs have skyrocketed. I can only keep my tenants’ rental fees about 5% below market giving me less than 8% profit because I don’t have mortgages. I have to work for that 8%, its not “passive income.” Just like any other worker, I get money for doing the work of a landlord and having my savings invested in a rental property.

Tenants view raised rents as landlord greed when, in fact, we’d likely do better on other investments that don’t take nearly the time or energy to hold.

The homeless issue is multi-faceted due to high rents that are caused by high taxes, high insurance, high costs of materials, high costs of labor to repair and maintain properties; also mental and physical disabilities, drug addiction, lack of access to services and transportation. This is simply not a “greedy landlord” issue.

OP, as I stated before. If subsidized housing is required, one cannot be picky about location.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
It varies by state as far as who has more leverage. Many states are pro tenant. Typically a state that’s landlord friendly is actually one that is neutral. Many areas have rent control. Who do you think that favors?

You do realize that on time payments are supposed to be that way? I find it hard to believe that your landlord you claim helped manage bought you a bad refrigerator. It sounds like you were in a low cost rent situation. Cheap rent usually means a cheap undesirable place. You got what you paid for.

You must be not looking carefully. I list online and I’m not a big corporation, it just me the landlord. When I look at comps online I see both landlords and corporations. You do not need boots on the ground you can shop online.

Tenants that complain they have no rights are often the entitled ones that are not good tenants to start with.

Tent cities because tenants have no rights, that’s a pretty far reach.

Rents have gone up sure. But my costs of maintaining the property properly have too.
Insurance doubled. Cost of a plumber to come out is minimum 200. Clean a place well to rental standards a few hundred.
As everything gets more expensive I guess I’m supposed to eat the costs to support your entitled self rather than pass it on.

Old 01-28-2024, 01:24 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Apply for HUD Section 8... When you get it IF your current LL does not participate. Go Apt shopping HUD has NO Age bounties. Unless you have special needs You can move anywhere. Tho you need to stay in the limits of you local HUD office for the 1st year.
I feel your pain our rent jumping $150 this next renewal! Thats for a 1 bedroom H/C apt at $850. Lucky we still within the Section 8 limits ...

Old 01-30-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Apply for HUD Section 8... When you get it IF your current LL does not participate. Go Apt shopping HUD has NO Age bounties. Unless you have special needs You can move anywhere. Tho you need to stay in the limits of you local HUD office for the 1st year.
I feel your pain our rent jumping $150 this next renewal! Thats for a 1 bedroom H/C apt at $850. Lucky we still within the Section 8 limits ...
And the op says tenants have no rights ....
Sec 8, rent caps, the list goes on.

Old 01-30-2024, 11:51 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
And the op says tenants have no rights ....
Sec 8, rent caps, the list goes on.
Not Rent Caps .. they base how much you can rent an apt for Based on Income. BUT If the tenant cant afford those Rising Utilities they have them look for other housing. I got a $20 raise on my SSA the Auto/Rental Insurance Jumped $10 Cable/Internet Jumped $12 Electric $50!! The Rent $150!! All over a lousy $20 raise!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting