Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 AM

28 posts, read 181,706 times

Advertisements

We live in New York. How could she cause problems w our purchasing of a home? She always wants to "talk"- that is the problem w her. She has been telling me parts for garbage disposal are on "order" and it is going on 3 weeks. I think I should just have problems fixed and deduct from rent- since I have notified her of problems in a letter and it has been over 10 days. She always wants to come and talk and see what the problem is- but she does nothing. I don't know what to do about her removing items from the house. The lease states that we accept the house "as is"- so does that mean we have to keep her furniture and stuff in garage??? Or do we have a right to have this stuff taken out of here?? We are looking for a house now- but not sure if we should try and wait out the lease. There are going to be problems either way with this woman- that is a certainty. fyi- she is a first time landlord and she doesn't know how good she has it w us. Rent paid on time, house and outdoor space kept neat and clean. thanks again for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea39 View Post
We live in New York. How could she cause problems w our purchasing of a home? She always wants to "talk"- that is the problem w her. She has been telling me parts for garbage disposal are on "order" and it is going on 3 weeks. I think I should just have problems fixed and deduct from rent- since I have notified her of problems in a letter and it has been over 10 days. She always wants to come and talk and see what the problem is- but she does nothing. I don't know what to do about her removing items from the house. The lease states that we accept the house "as is"- so does that mean we have to keep her furniture and stuff in garage??? Or do we have a right to have this stuff taken out of here?? We are looking for a house now- but not sure if we should try and wait out the lease. There are going to be problems either way with this woman- that is a certainty. fyi- she is a first time landlord and she doesn't know how good she has it w us. Rent paid on time, house and outdoor space kept neat and clean. thanks again for the advice!
More and more, it's sounds like you need to just get out.. She is nuts. There are very few parts one can order for a garbage disposal, they either work or they don't, and are cheap to replace. they are a "Throw-a-way" item and one does not repair them. She is blowing smoke.
Get out any way you can, and let her take you to court. It doesn't look like talking to her will do any good.
A lease that states "As Is" doesn't work, all things should be spelled out.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The crazy LL can cause problems with buying a house by reporting you to a credit agency for damage and a broken lease if you walk away. She can put all kinds of charges on the list and say you owe her for the remainder of the lease and all kinds of damage. If she does that, you will HAVE to pay it before you can get a mortgage. Be careful with her.
Check New York laws or check with an attorney. In this economic turndown, you do not want to screw up your credit becasue of a crazy lady who does not know what she is doing. Get the problem before a Justice of the Peace.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 PM

28 posts, read 181,706 times
Hi everyone. Since my last post- I have notified landlord that we will not pay utilities until changed into our name or at very least, we get an original copy of bill. She has completely ignored me and is bombarding me with letters in mailbox everyday demanding payment. She finally fixed garbage disposal after coming to the house about three times. Now the thermostat on the oven is broken- so basically oven doesnt work. I notified her of this a couple of weeks ago. She has come to "investigate"- her words- two times. Now today she promised it would be fixed and she emails stating repairperson will be back next week. I mean I have two young kids and don't have an oven. It is ridculous- we pay over 3k a month. I know what she is doing is ridiculous. We have found a few homes we are considering purchasing- since we want to get out of here asap, but now heard the mortgage people need to get references from current landlord. So should I just placate her????? she literally emails me 5 times a day. Should i just contact repair person to fix oven and ignore her and take it off the rent???? or since she is in the "process"- a very long process, do i wait it out. Tonite- I had to go to a friends house to use her oven, cause I needed to bake cookies for my son's school. ugh!!!!!!! ps. My husband doesnt even want to get involved w this- let's me deal w this. Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
Now is when she can cause problems for your credit. You need a referance and she has you by the....er...she has you cornered. I would ask her quick to fill out the referance form during one of your talks. Placate her with what she demands...she has the power now.
Ask the mortgage company what they want...cancelled checks?, lease?, do they need a letter from the LL or a form completed? If it is a form, fill out what you can and ask her to sign it while you are having one of your talks. Do NOT let her have the form or take it out of your sight, you will never see it again. If it's a letter, write it yourself and ask her to sign it. do not tell her you are going to move out. It's just planning stages. let her know you have a lease and will abide by it. (so lie a little).
If she demands payment of the utilities, pay half( "that's all the money we have right now, I'll pay the rest mest month") Lie a little. work her, she is working you.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
As a Rental Property Owner I have been asked to verify Rental Amount, Starting Date and if Rent was paid on time for every tenant that has bought a home while renting from me and a few that previously rented.

All 3 items are factual and should not be subject to interpretation...

Repair and Deduct is a self help method usually reserved for Habitability issues as defined by State Statute in my State. Ovens are not mentioned or required...

I would promptly get the oven repaired for you and provide a table top model in the interim if the Rental Agreement specified Owner to provide Range.

3 of my last 4 electric oven thermostat issues were the result of temperature sensor damage by the tenant... it is easy to damage because it is exposed.

Utilities... the Landlord cannot put the Utilities into your name. This is something you do by requesting the Utility transfer the billing to your name. You may be asked to provide standard credit info and a copy of the Rental Agreement.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 AM

453 posts, read 1,536,128 times
She may not want the utilities in her name because she may not be legally renting the home to you, not paying taxes etc.

Where in NY are you?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As a Rental Property Owner I have been asked to verify Rental Amount, Starting Date and if Rent was paid on time for every tenant that has bought a home while renting from me and a few that previously rented.
Ultrarunner, I think the difference here is that you are not psychotic.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Some times the utilies company will go after the tenant but many times they will not cut the utilties back on until someone pays the bill. I have seen many LLhave to pay the bill or they would cut it back on even for a new renter.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Some times the utilies company will go after the tenant but many times they will not cut the utilties back on until someone pays the bill. I have seen many LLhave to pay the bill or they would cut it back on even for a new renter.
Where I live this is the case for municipal owned utility companies. Private Utilities are stuck going after the customer that signed up for service.

Several times I have had to personally appear at Utility Company headquarters with my deed, Id and a copy of the eviction order to restore service.

It can be a one-way street when dealing with them. They will often call to confirm tenant information but will not disclose anything about the tenant status.

I took over a building and called the utility to ask if service was on because I thought it had been turned off and lights were on at night. Turns out the tenant had jumped the meter and was bootlegging power for more than a month... but the Utility would not tell me, the property owner if power was on or off... they said I had to have power in my name for them to talk to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting