Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 12,812 times

Advertisements

I am renting a loft in Long Beach, CA.... I am not sure that this rental is actually legal. The landlord is refusing to fix things in the appartment. He is also charging for utilities when there are no meters for this appartment. I have a one year lease and would like to terminate it before the date ( Oct 30th 09') What are my rights...and how do I proceed to find out if this rental is actually legal...there is no parking assigned to the loft.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-13-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 07:46 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Talk to a lawyer.

Interesting you just now are worrying about the legality of the lease, it does seem you are simply looking for a way to break the lease.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 28,865 times
Try looking for the housing authority in Long Beach or LA County. They have mediators/arbitrators that might be able to help you out.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 12,812 times
Thank you for your input..and yes..I am trying to get out of this lease...the landlord is playing games and trying to take advantage...

Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,776 times
i have a question i need help, my iam renting a house in long beach.the landlord gave me a notice to vacancy last week because he just put the house for sale what are my rights? do i have any?

Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry12345 View Post
I am renting a loft in Long Beach, CA...at 22 Ximeno street in Belmont shores. I am not sure that this rental is actually legal. The landlord is refusing to fix things in the appartment. He is also charging for utilities when there are no meters for this appartment. I have a one year lease and would like to terminate it before the date ( Oct 30th 09') What are my rights...and how do I proceed to find out if this rental is actually legal...there is no parking assigned to the loft.
He can charge for utilities separate from rent. The utilities could be in his name. He may know about how much he uses and charges you the overage. IDK. Some LL include the utilities in the rent others its rent plus utilities. He is renting a room/loft in his house to you? Is it a case of someone renting a casita or guest house on his property? Separate entrance? Nothing illegal about it IMO. He's simply charging you rent plus utilities. As for the no parking spot issues, rent and utilities. Were they all spelled out before you signed the lease? What games is the LL playing? What is he not fixing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc4588 View Post
i have a question i need help, my iam renting a house in long beach.the landlord gave me a notice to vacancy last week because he just put the house for sale what are my rights? do i have any?
None really unless you're still in your one year lease. If you're month to month then all they are required to do is simply give you 30 days notice. If you are on a one year lease you have more leverage. But the buyer may just be ok with you staying till your lease is up. At that point all that happens is you just have a new LL

Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc4588 View Post
If you are on a month-to-month tenancy, then the LL only has to give you 30 days notice - unless - you have been there a year or longer. Then he has to give you 60 days notice.

If you are in the middle of a lease, then he can't just give you notice to leave before your lease is up.

Here's some info:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 01-14-2014, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 8,776 times
thank you.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
Hi i am currently renting a 2br 2bth in belmont shores with my partner, Landlord is a bit Difficult and quite honestly feel like he just has something personal against us. 2,300 of rent has been paid on time every month and we are very quiet. He served us two weeks ago and stated we needed to be out by the 1st with out giving us our Deposit and he is also Terminating the lease. As a result of that i have refused to pay him rent for august so what are my rights and what should we do ?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:58 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
What is LL's reasoning for evicting you and what exactly did you receive and how were you notified or served? And no, he did not give you sufficient notice for eviction.

And if you refused to pay him August rent then obviously you are not paying rent on time as you stated you do. Why wasn't August rent paid when it was due? Is that why he is evicting you?

I am assuming you are residing in CA if you are adding to a thread that originated from CA. If so, have you read up on CA requirements on eviction?

Last edited by Corn-fused; 08-30-2015 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting