Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

BigDGeek
A carpet installer can stop the seam from doing further unraveling,
put the problem in the LLs lap, so its not your problem at moveout.
If you write that letter, make a copy to keep for yourself as proof
the LL was aware, it is your duty to let them know so corrections
can be made.

rlrl /FYI
Life of apartment carpet is about 7yrs, you can be charged a %
based on age of carpet, life left after move-out.

If new carpet is $1500. divide that into seven yrs. So , if the carpet
was 2 yrs old when a tenant moved in and they lived there 4yrs
and damaged the carpet {thats above normal wear and tear} the
LL could only charge them the 1yr of carpet life that's left, about $214.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 06:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default virgode-sounds

good, and more specific and accurate than what i posted

Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,859 times
First timer, but I have a question. My nephew has moveed out of his apartment in Ca and that landloard has just sent him a bill for $7,000.00. 1. Painting and resurfacing out door patio. Resurfacing tub and vanity top. Vanity must be at leat twenty years old as well as the tob. For you landloards out there there were no chips on either. When my nephew moved in the first thing I noticed was the discoloration of the vanity. $1,500.00 or maybe $2,000.00 for painting, had nail holes from hanging paintings, and some stains in bedroom wall where drinks had spilled. Broken Screen for 200.00 Son broke screen, has no problem payng for the screen. They replaced the fan light rather tan clean it. He should of cleaned the fan light, grease on loght, but in working condition. $650.00 for cleaning. His deposit was 1,500.00 and he was okay with that. The carpet was very old when he moved in and some of the previous stains came back up. He too,his son added stains to the already old carpet. Screw off the microwave door handle. I find this outragious. Anyone heard of such craziness in CA? I read someware that old carpet should be prorated as to how old the carpet was. This was a one bedroom apt. I must admit that he and his son were not the best house keepers, but no major damage. Funny they are both emaculate in how they look and dress. Anyone know any good cheap lawyers. He will first contest in a letter. My thinking is that this is an aol apt. building with old coonters and bath, they are trying to pay for an updat at my nephews expence.
Diane

Old 04-21-2010, 05:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrittan View Post
First timer, but I have a question. My nephew has moveed out of his apartment in Ca and that landloard has just sent him a bill for $7,000.00. 1. Painting and resurfacing out door patio. Resurfacing tub and vanity top. Vanity must be at leat twenty years old as well as the tob. For you landloards out there there were no chips on either. When my nephew moved in the first thing I noticed was the discoloration of the vanity. $1,500.00 or maybe $2,000.00 for painting, had nail holes from hanging paintings, and some stains in bedroom wall where drinks had spilled. Broken Screen for 200.00 Son broke screen, has no problem payng for the screen. They replaced the fan light rather tan clean it. He should of cleaned the fan light, grease on loght, but in working condition. $650.00 for cleaning. His deposit was 1,500.00 and he was okay with that. The carpet was very old when he moved in and some of the previous stains came back up. He too,his son added stains to the already old carpet. Screw off the microwave door handle. I find this outragious. Anyone heard of such craziness in CA? I read someware that old carpet should be prorated as to how old the carpet was. This was a one bedroom apt. I must admit that he and his son were not the best house keepers, but no major damage. Funny they are both emaculate in how they look and dress. Anyone know any good cheap lawyers. He will first contest in a letter. My thinking is that this is an aol apt. building with old coonters and bath, they are trying to pay for an updat at my nephews expence.
Diane
The post talking about prorating carpet is 2 posts above yours in this same thread. Scroll up.

Beyond that, some questions. How long did your son lease the place? Wear and tear is quantitatively different for different lease periods. If a tenant ruins carpet in 6 months, that is very different than ruining carpet over 5 years.

You said the carpet was old...how old? It makes a difference.

You said the LL is trying to charge to paint the patio door. Was it damaged, or was the paint just peeling?

$1500 will paint an entire inside of a house, so was there other damage besides the picture nail holes? Did your son try to repaint and missed on the color?

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "fan light". I would assume "ceiling fan with light", but I don't have a clue how that would get greasy, so I'm guessing maybe something on the microwave or range?? Ceiling fans usually just need to be dusted.

You said they were charged $650 for cleaning?? That is crazy. Did they not clean at all? We've had some really really really bad units that didn't cost that much to clean. And I'm talking 4 bedroom houses, not 1 bedroom apartments.

You are correct in that they cannot charge a tenant the costs of updating the unit. Only damage can be withheld, and some things like carpet and often paint have to be prorated over a normal lifespan.

From the sounds of it, I would guess they did have some legitimate expenses. Probably some cleaning (possibly a lot of cleaning), a broken screen door, some paint touchup, a microwave repair, maybe something for the fan light, and possibly some prorated amount on the carpet, but with a $1500 deposit on a 1 bedroom apt, I would expect they wouldn't have used that up, or if they did, they might get a small bill. You're saying they not only used up the $1500 deposit, but sent a bill for $7000 on top of that. That doesn't sound at all right to me.

Sorry, can't recommend a lawyer in California. But I definitely agree you should talk to one.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
@ dcbrittan, I agree with Lacerta above. It is hard to imagine that all of those expenses are justified unless the tenant totally trashed and vandalized the place. California has very tenant biased laws, so chances are your nephew will win and collect damages if he takes it to court.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
This is a great thread, full of advice. Question:

I'm a renter in the same apartment 9 years this May. single lady, no pets, no kids, rent always paid 2 weeks early. Quiet, no complaints. Question is ~~ am I allowed to clean the carpets and do some minor (same color) painting? After 9 years the carpet could use a shampooing. The LL has never offered to clean the carpets for anyone in the building. should I approach him about possibly having the carpets shampooed ~~ say by Stanley Steamer or such company?
Thank you all in advance.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
It would probably be better if you had started a seperat discussion thread, but since you did not.

Typically a tenant is obligated to clean the apartment so I don't see why you would need permission. But after 9 years I would be happy as the landlord to pay for a carpet cleaning myself. Carpet doesn't normally last 9 years*, the landlord should be thrilled if they don't have to replace it. If it is worn, normal wear and tear for 9 years, the landlord may be obligated to replace it.

In regard to painting, your lease should say if there are limitations on what "improvements" you can make, otherwise it would be best to ask the landlord in writing for permission. But again, after 9 years with a good tenant I'd be happy to pay for the painting.

Edit: * This old house says carpet normally lasts for 8-10 years.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-22-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 12:57 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
Thank you sir. I will send him a letter ~ certified.

I didn't mean to jump in, I should have started a seperate thread.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,083 times
IL Tenants of 2yrs moved out and going thru the inspection of the property, the tenants failed to notify us of the toilet leakage which caused water damage to the bsmt ceiling and walls and after 2yrs it has created mold. These folks moved into a spotless house, everything was cleaned and ready to move in.
Kitchen sink was damaged by the cleanser used which we specifically told them no cleanser. Kitchen countertop damage with several deep scratches. Numerous holes on the walls from wall hangings and curtain rods. Tenants were to maintain and upkeep the front and backyard. There were over grown weeds, you could no longer see the mulch or the edging. These are just a few issues. My main concern is the water damage and mold due to the tenants negligence. Can we deduct the cost from their security deposit for the repair and labor. Thank you

Old 05-05-2010, 02:02 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
I would love to find out what kind of carpet lasts 20 years!

Yeah, and I want to know, who would want to live with the same carpet for 20 years.

Ugh, I get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. Yuck !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting