Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:24 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times

Advertisements

Do you have any idea what a management company has to go through
if they had put someone in that apartment, with all there furniture,
belongings, to find out one of the residents has an allergy to pets, then have to recarpet?

If you have a pet just say so, you say you had but, most everyone on the renters forum has
worked in the industry or owns property for rental, your not going to fool anyone here, suck it up.

Last edited by virgode; 09-01-2009 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Nothing against having a dog/cat in an apartment, but this is EXACTLY what can happen! This is also what happened when apartment complex owners decided to allow pets (dogs/cats) in apartments! Depending on how many times the pet did "dodo" on the carpet, or even pee on a wall, will depend on
what management will foot the cost of cleaning or turn it over to the tenant who owned the pet (s). I suppose I'd get upset getting a bill for the replacement, but then again........YOUR pet done this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaFlorida View Post
Ok, here is an update for you all and please tell me if you've ever heard of places doing this before.

Apparently they go in with a black light after each tenant vacates to look for hidden stains. They stated they found pet stains using the black light so they tore up the carpet. Underneath the carpet (on the bottom side) there was staining. So it looks like I'm gonna have to fit the bill on this one. They are requiring me to pay for new carpet, pad, and installation for whole apartment which totals around a thousand bucks, I'm fuming!

Black light? Really? What is this CSI???

Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,469,020 times
Quote:
Ok, here is an update for you all and please tell me if you've ever heard of places doing this before.

Apparently they go in with a black light after each tenant vacates to look for hidden stains. They stated they found pet stains using the black light so they tore up the carpet. Underneath the carpet (on the bottom side) there was staining. So it looks like I'm gonna have to fit the bill on this one. They are requiring me to pay for new carpet, pad, and installation for whole apartment which totals around a thousand bucks, I'm fuming!

Black light? Really? What is this CSI???
We black light the carpets if there was a pet in the unit, or if not, then if there are any unusual smells. Also, most carpet cleaner companies provide this service upon request. It is pretty common these days.

One reason is that even if you had the carpet cleaned, urine can go all the way through to the floorboards, which means the smell can come back. Other pets in the future will quickly find that spot and urinate there to "mark" the spot as their own.

Be aware, that they can only charge you the prorated life that should have been left on the carpet. However, you said after cleaning, it looked almost brand new again, so there was probably a lot of life left in it. For carpet, pad and installation, if they are only charging you $1000, it probably already is prorated. Our last replacement was around $1500.

If you have a pet, this is a risk you take when renting. It is your damage, and therefore, your expense.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,021 times
OMG I just learned something new folks .... my job isnt in high end apts which is why we do the stained waxed cement floors instead of new carpets BUT we do replace carpets as needed with the cement my biggest issue is folks dont clean well in batherooms and kitchens never thought of the blacklight on floors
Laughs @ self
I need a v8 and a blacklight

I do charge a non refundable $200 pet fee damage or not

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 AM

219 posts, read 877,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post

I do charge a non refundable $200 pet fee damage or not

Why? What is your basis for this? Do you charge a $200 infant fee? I'll bet a baby in the house can do more damage than a dog.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Why? What is your basis for this? Do you charge a $200 infant fee? I'll bet a baby in the house can do more damage than a dog.
$200 pet fee is for the right to have a pet in our buildings .. it is a privalige not a right .. allowing the pet with a fee means I have control here.. I dont charge pet rent like others do BUT the right to have a pet needs to be addressed ..

and yeh could I figure out how to charge a people deposit for each kid I would! as it is we charge F/L/SD PLUS pet fee move in here is about $1500 - $2000 PLUS the pet fee up front befor keys are given

Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM

219 posts, read 877,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
$200 pet fee is for the right to have a pet in our buildings .. it is a privalige not a right .. allowing the pet with a fee means I have control here.. I dont charge pet rent like others do BUT the right to have a pet needs to be addressed ..

Is it a right or is it a privelege? You've contradicted yourself twice in one sentence. The $200 fee is straight profit in your pocket. Where do you even come up with that figure from? Was this based on any study of past damage caused by pets? If anything, why dont you just charge an additional pet deposit, that way if there is damage you have the cash to pay for it, if not, then you're not just profiting from those who choose to rescue pets from shelters.

Just something that really ticks me off because there is no logic to it.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:09 PM

PRIVELEGE because I could easly make the building pet free and have considered it several times
OH NO It is not a right it is a privelege most assuredly saying its your right to have one here is because you pay for the privelege ... I know every pet by name ( and owners and kids ) I have a picture of pet & file of pet records, sex,spayed or nuetered city tag shot records as per MN stautue I dont have to allow the pet at all
pure profit? pets pee puke and track in snow and mud in the halls and some folks dont think they should clean up after pets in common areas AND in the apt...... So take a guess who has to mop and wash ? Plus pets shed or cause flea problems.... SOME owners arent good pet care takers so EVERYBODY pays for the privelege of haveing a pet here.. that so called profit only gives them the right to bring a pet in the door and keep it It also prevents hoarders and byb

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
As a pet owner, I ahve to say that I wouldn't want to move into an apartment where there was residue of urine from a previous pet.

Accidents do happen, and again as a pet owner I would fully expect to have to replace carpet that a pet soiled on at the end of the lease. I would be beyond pissed if I was rented an apartment that had been previously occupied by an animal and there was any residue of that animal--physically obvious or not.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Most pet fees are non-refundable, what that means for the tenant:
The LL is aknowledging you have a pet on the premises.
Damages when vacating can be assessed and deducted from the security deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting