Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times

Advertisements

Yeh, everyone pays. Which I could really deal with not paying more because someone wants to run the heat and ac at the same time.

Anyway....It seems they have fixed whatever was the issue or the LL saw it as they are not running it anymore on those types of days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The OP said window unit. I think her concern is they pay a monthly rate
to the LL, unnecessary usage would increase the rate, so in the end everyone pays??

Even if this is the case, you can't monitor another tenants usage.
One of my housemates tried to monitor my usage. I let him know that my contract does not state anything about usage of A/C. Due to humidity in FL, if I don't have the A/C on (& we're talking at 80 for a box unit during the day), it will affect my tv, oil paintings, furniture, clothing...

I told him to MHOB and that if he's doesn't have his A/C on during the day while he's at work, he's just ruined the new flat screen that he bought by allowing it to absorb humidity & he's upstairs; heat rises.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
If the person has asthma or allergies, or even security concerns (or a cat that can push out screens) then perhaps opening a window isn't a viable option for them

Old 11-13-2009, 03:56 PM

They make guards for that (so the cat wont fall out) but thats not my problem. My COL rising would be. They can get bars if they have security concerns.

My main worry was running it during freezing weather and having it make the unit start a fire or something. But no one talked about if that could happen. I guess they thought snarky stupid remarks more helpful.

They have opened the windows no problem though. So that is not an issue.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
One of my housemates tried to monitor my usage. I let him know that my contract does not state anything about usage of A/C. Due to humidity in FL, if I don't have the A/C on (& we're talking at 80 for a box unit during the day), it will affect my tv, oil paintings, furniture, clothing...

I told him to MHOB and that if he's doesn't have his A/C on during the day while he's at work, he's just ruined the new flat screen that he bought by allowing it to absorb humidity & he's upstairs; heat rises.
Yes...see that makes sense. This heat on/ac on was/is just stupid. I am guessing the heat got stuck in the full on position. I could not turn mine off the other day and I thought it was broken. But it was just stuck open.
They are old fashion radiators that only open and close by a valve on the side.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Yes...see that makes sense. This heat on/ac on was/is just stupid. I am guessing the heat got stuck in the full on position. I could not turn mine off the other day and I thought it was broken. But it was just stuck open.
They are old fashion radiators that only open and close by a valve on the side.
Wow; haven't seen one of those radiators since I lived in Manhattan!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
As with most of the others, I say MYOB.

It isn't your business if it is a waste of electricity. It isn't your business if the landlord loses money because of utility expenses. It isn't your business if the other tenant damages their apartment--only if they damage yours.

You can pretty much guarantee your experience in your own apartment is different from everyone else's. Yes heat rises, but in a multi-tenant space--whether apartments or stores or offices, and whether steam radiators or central forced heat or convection--it is far more complicated.

The amount of outside wall and window exposure, the number of separations within each unit, the number of bends and turns in ductwork or pipes, and on and on--all mean each unit will be a different temperature when controlled by a central thermostat. And of course how the space is used affects temperature too--the number of occupants, the amount of furniture, window coverings, and floor coverings, the amount of cooking being done, the activities done within the apartment.

Landlords have plenty of protections under both the law and their lease terms. Like any business they have to consider contingency factors when establishing their business plan. They have to foresee that a tenant may work at home or be a stay-at-home parent/spouse, who uses more electricity than someone who is gone for 8-10 hours a day. They have to foresee that a tenant may work the night shift, sleeping during daylight hours and requiring lights and lamps to be on whenever they are at home and awake. They have to anticipate that a tenant may have health issues such as allergies or asthma that require a cooler, filtered temperature to avoid complications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting