Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,291 times

Advertisements

All these threats and no real solutions other then to move. When you are upside down on your co-op mortgage there is little you can do. Accept for annoy them as much as they annoy you. Anyone have a better idea? I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,502 times
This is ridiculous. I can't believe anybody would say stomping on the floor like an elephant is normal walking.

I live in an apt. and expect the upstairs couple to be reasonable with sounds. I am!
Instead the wife, walks like she's the weight of a hippo and she walks constantly, as if the place has no chairs. Boom, boom, boom, back and forth.
Luckily, since i've moved in Sept. 1, 2011, it seems like they work 2 jobs each, and are gone a lot. Thank god, but when they are they, it's loud and I can't see how they can't hear themselves.
I've been forced to sleep with the fan and A/C on, for peace.
I plan on buying a house asap.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
so sad to hear that people can walk some walk heavy some do not it cant be helped and when you buy your house will we hear you cry then about a lawn mower a snow blower kids playing chasing lighting bugs?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
I seriously doubt they are walking loudly on purpose. The problem is the construction of the building.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Get ear muffs.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
When I lived in Seattle, the many apartments I had in Seattle, I ALWAYS had a fricken upstairs neighbor who stomped around like they weighed 600 pounds.

Heck, one time, in an apartment on Queen Anne, the fricken lady woke me up EVERY. SINGLE. DAY at 5 am with her damn stomping. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, went up there and knocked on her door.

She couldn't have weighed but a buck o' five. I asked her to PLEASE, for the love of all that was right in this world, please walk softer.

She didn't.

Another time, in West Seattle, I had the rudest pile of crap for an upstairs neighbor. Every damn day, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp...stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp....stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp....stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp...FOR HOURS. He stomped so badly that it even bothered my roommate who didn't normally care about stomping.

We went up and asked where we might sign up for the clog dancing party. (Yah, I probably shouldn't have waited until I was ready to go insane before saying something.) So, that was clearly the wrong thing to do because he stomped even louder after that and periodically, (this went on for almost a year), he would take drumsticks or something like it and "drum" on the floor for 5 minutes, (yes, he did, we went up there one time and he thought it was hilarious that he was being a pr**k), at random times. The first time we heard it we thought it was a helicopter outside. After a few minutes we realized it was him. Jacka**.

And in Fremont, again, TWO different tenants upstairs. One was so loud, I got out my video camera and pointed it at the ceiling. You could HEAR it even with a video cam's pathetic microphone, it was so damn loud.

I let my landlord watch that.

Guess what? No more stomping after that.

Talking doesn't help. Letters and notes, pleading, do not help. Talking to the manager does not help, they will just say it is "regular living noises that are acceptable". They don't get it. So fricken video tape that sh*t and let them HEAR it for themselves.

In every other city I've lived in...no stomping. Amazing.

By the way, there is a difference between someone "just walking around" and someone stomping around. When you live in an apartment, yes, of course, you do have to put up with some noises BUT when you live in an apartment, you should also be aware that there are other people living around you and have some courtesy and respect for those people.

Yah, you pay to live there, so does everyone else. Quit fricken stomping around!

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 10-05-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 12,957 times
Some people just walk heavily. In my situation my upstairs neighbor seems to put all his weight on his heel as he walks. Slow, fast, it doesnt matter. I asked him several times if he could be quieter and while he did try, it never really took. I've learned to deal with it. It can be annoying but sometimes you just have to put up with it. There are worse neighbors. Of course it would be a different story if he was stomping around that during the wee hours of the night.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
When I lived in Eastern Europe in the 60's, a struggling actor moved in above me and walked with a very heavy step that was loud enough to wake the dead. He eventually had to flee an angry mob and my life returned to normal.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
I lived in a corporate hotel for awhile and ran into the same trouble. At least most of my stompers were tempoary. But it was amazing from week to week. Some you could hardly hear, others were so loud you could feel walls shake. One guy you could hear come home and threw his shoes off. Boom Boom! Then stomp stomp till about 1 am. Then he would get up at 6:45a and stomp till time for work. This was a hotel room. Why the need to walk across a small floor hundreds and hundreds of times an evening??

It is easy to block a noise below or next to you. I discovered it is impossible to mask a noise from above. I resorted to putting a box fan on a high table, but it still wasn't high enough to block the noise.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
You people are mostly nuts.

Wear earplugs. I used to work a graveyard hours job AND I lived in a large house with several roommates. I wore earplugs and an eyemask and couldn't hear a thing. One of my roommates complained about having trouble sleeping due to noise levels and I suggested earplugs to him and they worked like a charm.

Currently I live in a loft in downtown Los Angeles. The building is super old with really thick walls and floors so I cannot hear my neighbors. But the noise from the hallway is pretty loud. My gf wears earplugs due to my snoring. I wear earplugs due to the hallway noise. I've never been woken in the middle of the night.

However, I do suspect the biggest complainers in this thread will also be annoyed with the earplugs and claim they can't sleep with earplugs also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting