Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times

Advertisements

I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix, V6, 3.8L with 140,000 miles on it.
Resonantly I had a rebuilt transmission put in and I always keep up with my oil changes. The last few months or so I have noticed how the car has a hard time starting at times. I turn the key and it sounds like it starts up fine only to turn off again. The second time around it starts up fine.
I do not have this problem every day but 3 times a week on average. Last time the car had a tune up was at 100,000 miles.
What do you suggest the problem is?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Do you have a Check Engine Light on? You may have some codes that can be read - anyway, if the last tuneup included a fuel filter, you are about due.

First thing you need to do IMHO is take care of maintenance, do a normal tuneup, although I do not know if this is what's causing the car to stall right after starting.

This could be the ignition switch.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do you have a Check Engine Light on? You may have some codes that can be read - anyway, if the last tuneup included a fuel filter, you are about due.

First thing you need to do IMHO is take care of maintenance, do a normal tuneup, although I do not know if this is what's causing the car to stall right after starting.

This could be the ignition switch.

There is no check engine light on. Im am not sure how bad the fuel filter is. Could it be the sparks plugs?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I would suggest that changing the fuel filter and spark plugs would probably improve your MPG enough to pay for itself anyway so would start there.

Offhand this does sound like an ignition switch issue though. I think many GM switches have 2 sets of contacts, one may be working better than the other, thus the start - go dead - start - run fine cycle. But I am guessing.

A good shop might be able to read codes even though the CEL is not on.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I would suggest that changing the fuel filter and spark plugs would probably improve your MPG enough to pay for itself anyway so would start there.

Offhand this does sound like an ignition switch issue though. I think many GM switches have 2 sets of contacts, one may be working better than the other, thus the start - go dead - start - run fine cycle. But I am guessing.

A good shop might be able to read codes even though the CEL is not on.

Thanks Mitch. I appreciate it. You have helped me before.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
This can also be a Passlock anti-theft system problem which is common on GM vehicles. Pay attention to the dashboard when this happens and look for the "theft" light blinking when the vehicle shuts off. Often, when the Passlock starts having a problem it will allow the car to start briefly and then shut it down since it is not reading the key properly. When they get worse they will not allow the car to start and the "theft" light sometimes stays on rather than blinking.

M3 Mitch is 100% correct with the codes. Only emission related controls will kick the check engine light on. Many times there are codes in the computers (yes, there are more than one) but the driver will not know it since they do not kick the "check engine" light on. Any decent shop will have a true scan tool that can check for any codes in the computers.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 39,176 times
Thanks guys! I'm having the same problem, but i havent had a tune up in about 65,000 miles. I want to get a "remote" start put on my car for the winter, but the remote place said it wouldnt be a good idea until i can get the car to start on the first turn.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I would suggest a tune up for sure if its been that long. Plugs/wires, and maybe have the coils checked out. If you do it yourself, there are guides for checking ohms on them.

All said and done, I might lean towards a fuel pump. Especially if it fires off, runs for a second then dies. See if you can get fuel pressure checked, while its having the problems.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 42,703 times
Default did u ever solve problem?

Did u ever figure this problem out? I am having identicle problems, can't figure it out?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
There is no check engine light on. Im am not sure how bad the fuel filter is. Could it be the sparks plugs?
It's not apt to be your spark plugs. That'll be a different set of symptoms.

It's most likely a fuel pressure regulator, or idle air control valve. It's possible that the cause of either of those could be connected to a vacuum leak. Remotely possible that it's a MAF sensor, though that should throw a code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands