Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,948,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Do you mind being called a "senior" or senior citizen?...I have never liked these terms. How do you feel about it? Thanks...
Doesn't bother me in the least. What ticks me off though is that I NEVER remember to ask for the discounts! And, as a rule, it seems they won't offer unless you do. Maybe they don't want to insult me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
In the 1990s, when my dad was in his 70s, he complained about how bored he was and I suggested he join the local senior citizens group (they were still called that, at the time). He looked at me and said, "I went to one of those once. There are all OLD people there."
That's funny but you know, I have to sorta agree with him. I tried going to our local senior citizens group and, in all honesty, it didn't seem like they wanted to 'accept' me into their "cliques". Since I've gotten older it seems harder to make friends, especially with people my own age. It's like they already have as many friends as they want/need and aren't open to accepting one more. I guess that's why I'm mostly a 'loner' BUT I don't mind that, at all. I enjoy my own company and never get bored so I guess it's okay. Also, I don't seem to have much in common with people my age. They aren't nearly as active and energetic as I am but I'd sure like to find some that are. <sigh> And yes, I've tried to find them but they aren't at the Senior Center.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,286,662 times
Hmmmm. Maybe curmudgeon. I think I've earned that. I think you missed codger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Which of the following non PC terms do you prefer:
senior citizen - definition of senior citizen by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Noun1.senior citizensenior citizen - an elderly person
golden ager, old person, oldster
adult, grownup - a fully developed person from maturity onward
ancient, antediluvian - a very old person
centenarian - someone who is at least 100 years old
curmudgeon - a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas
dodderer - one who dodders from old age and weakness
dodo, fogey, fogy, fossil - someone whose style is out of fashion
dotard - an oldster in his dotage; someone whose age has impaired his intellect
back-number, has-been - someone who is no longer popular
nonagenarian - someone whose age is in the nineties
octogenarian - someone whose age is in the eighties
old boy - a vivacious elderly man
graybeard, greybeard, old man, Methuselah - a man who is very old
old woman - a woman who is old
septuagenarian - someone whose age is in the seventies
sexagenarian - someone whose age is in the sixties

Old 06-24-2010, 10:56 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,339,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's funny but you know, I have to sorta agree with him. I tried going to our local senior citizens group and, in all honesty, it didn't seem like they wanted to 'accept' me into their "cliques". Since I've gotten older it seems harder to make friends, especially with people my own age. It's like they already have as many friends as they want/need and aren't open to accepting one more. I guess that's why I'm mostly a 'loner' BUT I don't mind that, at all. I enjoy my own company and never get bored so I guess it's okay. Also, I don't seem to have much in common with people my age. They aren't nearly as active and energetic as I am but I'd sure like to find some that are. <sigh> And yes, I've tried to find them but they aren't at the Senior Center.
I can relate....When my husband and I first retired we made friends with some couples around our age....They were really nice people but they always went to bed super early at night and seemed to follow a schedule when it came to bedtime and when they ate meals etc....We didn't fit in very well because we wanted to "feel free" and spontaneous ....not tied to a daily schedule........There were other differences too.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I can relate....When my husband and I first retired we made friends with some couples around our age....They were really nice people but they always went to bed super early at night and seemed to follow a schedule when it came to bedtime and when they ate meals etc....We didn't fit in very well because we wanted to "feel free" and spontaneous ....not tied to a daily schedule........There were other differences too.
Same here. I'm pretty flexible and don't mind doing things on the spur of the moment. I figure having to adapt to someone else's schedule my whole working life I don't really want to do it now. Although, I AM getting ready to go back to work so I will be doing that again. Thankfully all I want is part time so I'll still have plenty of "me time".

I am looking forward to having a little more money to do some weekend 'road trips' again too. It would be nice having a lady companion to go with but seems like all the women I know are tied to their docs and appointments. Or they can't spend a lot of time riding in a car. Or they just "don't feel up to it". I do LOVE going alone though so no problem there either!

My philosophy has always been that I cannot change the fact that I am, and will continue to, grow 'older' chronologically but I'll be darned if I'm ever going to get "Old"!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,286,662 times
Quote:
Same here. I'm pretty flexible and don't mind doing things on the spur of the moment. I figure having to adapt to someone else's schedule my whole working life I don't really want to do it now. Although, I AM getting ready to go back to work so I will be doing that again. Thankfully all I want is part time so I'll still have plenty of "me time".
Isn't this just a personality difference? Most people stick to a schedule no matter what their age. A minority like to be spur of the moment and follow their whims.

When young, we call them irresponsible & unreliable.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,051,132 times
Quote:
My philosophy has always been that I cannot change the fact that I am, and will continue to, grow 'older' chronologically but I'll be darned if I'm ever going to get "Old"!
Well said! Too many people talk themselves into being old and begin behaving as they think they should at their current age - balooney!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM

50,512 posts, read 64,433,868 times
I haven't had it happen much yet (I'm 62), but to me it makes you sound like you are now out of the mainstream in into some feeble minded sub group. However, if you are part of the slower than molasses, 10% off on Wednesday crowd at the Florida supermarkets, then you deserve the name calling.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:09 PM

7,163 posts, read 12,741,434 times
While not over-sensitive to being called senior or senior citizen, I'm not overly fond of these labels, either. If we're seniors, does it make younger people 'juniors'?

Personally, I'd like to be called 'elder" as in 'village elder' meaning a wise member of the community who is respected and contributes. I don't like the term 'elderly' but am quite taken with 'elder.'

How about you?

This link has a sweet story about a village elder in Georgia (Russia):

Georgia: Amid Democratization, Village Elder Tradition Survives in Mountainous Svaneti Region | EurasiaNet.org

Old 06-24-2010, 12:22 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,244,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
When I was a freshman in college I wanted to be a senior.
Isnt senior what we all were our last year of high school? Anyway, like so many others have stated, just keep handing out those discounts, and the term senior is fine, does not phase me a bit. In fact, when making a purchase at a place where senior discounts are the practice, will often smile and ask for the geezer price. Geezer, dont think that one has been mentioned yet. A few of you may bristle at that term, but again, no problem with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement