Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I switch to Bloomberg when CNBC gets to political and gets political talking heads on just to argue. Bloomberg has the best balanced discussions with great analysis of issues.
I know what you mean. They got rid of Charlie Gasparino.
He dominated the conversations and would not let others talk.
Larry Kudlow is not on my favorite list.

I've send them a couple e-mails about the CNBC staff getting control of the conversations and interviews and stay in control, so the viewers do not have to hear two people talking at the same time, and then bingo, their time is up and the whole interview has to end.

Overall I'm happy with CNBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
I switch to Bloomberg when CNBC gets to political and gets political talking heads on just to argue. Bloomberg has the best balanced discussions with great analysis of issues.
Yes, but then you can also get stuck with Al Hunt on Bloomberg and his political opinions.

I also mix in Fox Business that sometimes gets off its diatribe and covers real finance subjects.

It takes a fast remote some days to get business / finance news without too much opinion and personality injected.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
I also like the Nightly Business Report on PBS.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
I wonder how popular a investing in retirement thread would be. Could we keep it on topic or would it go the way of so many other potentially good threads?

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactley, i wouldnt want to lock into for 30 years at these levels...the penalty for cashing out becomes to great .each point rise in rates can be almost a 10 % principal loss along the way coupled with losses from any credit rating downgrades...
Who cashes out? Most bonds (except for the most liquid with very small buy/sell spreads - like treasuries) are basically a buy and hold investment. I've never sold a single muni - and I've only sold corporates when I had credit quality concerns. And just FWIW - I don't care how the bonds fluctuate in value due to interest rates and market factors - although I do care about credit quality risk (many bonds I owned were down big time in 2008 due to market factors - but the only issue I sold then was BofA - and I sold that at a profit -not a loss).

Anyway - I don't wish to discuss/argue my portfolio management with anyone. Just explaining my point of view. Robyn

P.S. Bonds - unlike stocks - will always be redeemed at par or better at maturity absent a credit default. Very different animal than stocks.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Yes, but then you can also get stuck with Al Hunt on Bloomberg and his political opinions.

I also mix in Fox Business that sometimes gets off its diatribe and covers real finance subjects.

It takes a fast remote some days to get business / finance news without too much opinion and personality injected.
Listen to and read a lot of stuff with a good "noise" filter. You never know when or where or from whom you're going to get a good idea. I learned about TIPS and I-Bonds when they had really high coupons - about 10 years ago - from - of all people - Clark Howard on the radio. At the time - you could even buy I-Bonds with a credit card and get tons of frequent flyer miles when you bought them. The 10 year TIPS I bought in 2001 will mature next year (should have bought some 30's too ) - but the I-Bonds are good for another 20 years .

I've also been running my own charts and doing technical analysis for 20+ years now. I know that TA is not everyone's cup of tea - but it is one way of doing things on one's own. Which is important IMO. A lot of (most?) portfolio managers are compensated on the basis of relative performance (or no performance at all - just fees) - but the individual investor can't live on relative performance - or on 2% returns when the broker is taking 3%.

I think the WSJ is worth every penny I spend on it. I get some of my best ideas reading the paper in the morning over a cup of coffee - not listening to a bunch of "talking heads" on TV (many of whom have no skin in the game as a result of various factors - like the CNBC people aren't free to make investments of their choice).

I think the most interesting development in 2010 is the retirement of many legendary money managers - like Stan Druckenmiller - and the observations of people like Bill Gross on why they're leaving:

PIMCO | Investment Outlook - Stan Druckenmiller is Leaving (http://www.pimco.com/Pages/StanDruckenmillerisLeaving.aspx - broken link)

Important to keep in mind when making investment decisions - and actuarial assumptions regarding one's money down the road. Robyn

Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I wonder how popular a investing in retirement thread would be. Could we keep it on topic or would it go the way of so many other potentially good threads?
It might be popular - but would it be worth anyone's while? I used to spend a fair amount of time on investment chat boards - and found that most people - and they were mostly guys - simply wanted to sound like big shots - when they didn't have a clue what was going on. Major exception to that was Mark Cuban when he was on Compuserve about 1990 or so. I can honestly say - as a former SYSOP on Compuserve - that I knew him when (although he didn't have any particularly great investment ideas that he cared to share with people back then).

Anyway - what's your downside starting a thread that winds up being of little or no value (won't be the first time). Robyn

Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

I've send them a couple e-mails about the CNBC staff getting control of the conversations and interviews and stay in control, so the viewers do not have to hear two people talking at the same time, and then bingo, their time is up and the whole interview has to end.

Charlie Gasparino was a good investigative reporter - although he frequently didn't "play welll with others". I was one of his small potato "background source people" on bond stuff going back to his WSJ days - and miss seeing him anywhere today - in print or live. Does anyone know what he's doing now (reckon I could find out if I "googled" it but I'm in the middle of making dinner)? Robyn

Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
If you have never owned stocks, or options (you being "anyone") the fear of them, may be because you have not learned how to correctly use them. I have never owned a bond or mutual fund and it is greek to me. You have to learn about technicals, fundamentals, froth, momentum, trends, etc.

Greed makes the market go up and fear makes it go down.

A thread could be "tell us the type investments you have", sort of a poll.

stocks,
options,
bonds,
mutual funds,
foreign stocks,
CD's,
cash,
real estate,
treasury bills,
gold,
etc.

.........I bet stocks and options end up near the bottom. Those who work 9 to 5 can not trade the market. You can make a month's worth of trades in $ terms in 5 minutes but you never know when that 5 minute period will be, or on what day. You got to be there for that one or two or multiple 5 minute time frames.

Who had the ability and nerve to buy Google at $539 at 3:50pm on the 14th only to see the stock near $600, 2 hours later for a nice $6100 profit in an hour or two, if you had 100 shares?

I did not have the nerve. I had the ability.

The sheer price of the stock can scare people.

Like Jim Cramer says, it was like a $54 stock going up to $60. That sounds, and looks, more soothing and less "risky" than a $60 move on Google.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

You can ad Mark Haines, arrogant, loud, opinionated and without the facts most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement