Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,303 times

Advertisements

How difficult is it to travel in an RV? When my wife retires we want to visit and spend time in the areas we are considering retiring to. I am not a handy person, would it be difficult for us to travel in an RV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
RV.Net : The leader in clubs, media and services for the RV enthusiast

Old 07-06-2007, 05:23 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,050,998 times
I travel and live in an RV for a good majority of the time. Yes, certain things will take a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of things, you become more and more comfortable with the systems.

I'm living in mine right now as I write this. I have EVDO internet at the RV park I'm staying at and can get internet just about everywhere I go that has cell phone coverage.

bgrasser has cited a very good message board for RVers and they can answer a lot of questions for you there.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask or you can always PM me.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate them.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:10 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
How about the cost of gas, tires, repairs, maintenance, rental spaces, etc....doesn't it end up being a pricey lifestyle?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
How about the cost of gas, tires, repairs, maintenance, rental spaces, etc....doesn't it end up being a pricey lifestyle?

You bet it's a pricey lifestyle, Cattknap! It's definitely not cheap. But it's an addictive way of life for many ...for those who can afford it.

I wanted to do this for many years so I figured it's a way to snowbird without having to own a house in two places.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,865 times
My wife and I travel in an RV, too. After retiring last year, we took a 1 year trip around the country. It's not the first time we went coast to coast. It's just the first time we did it without needing to return to work.

Other than the RV.net link you were given, which has some good beginner info but can get some juvenile replies going now and again, I would strongly recommend you head over to the Escapees website. They also have a Discussion Forum where more experienced and mature people share information.

Here's the llink to the website: Escapee's Website

Here's a direct link to the Discussion forum: [URLmod cut[/url]

The Escapees organization is a really helpful group that hasn't been taken over by the extreme profit bug like other gorups. For example, RV.net is a part of Affinity Group who also owns Camping World, Good Sam (not the same group as years ago), Coast to Coast, and other things. If you get hooked into their marketing plan, your junk mail load will go through the roof!!!

Escapees is well known for sharing information and providing service for "Fulltime RV'ers." However, I found them a valuable resource long before we took our 1 year sabbatical. I would recommend they for everyone.

Otherwise, it's kinda' difficult to answer your question about the difficulty of RV'ing. A whole book could be written about that subject. It certianly requires a new skillset, but it's also very rewarding.

It's also not cheap, unlike what some may tell you. You will have the expense of your RV, which depreciates every year. The same money could have helped buy a nice vacation home, depending on how much you would have spent on an RV, and it generally increases over time.

So, the decision is up to you. We decided that we liked the flexability of an RV, so we spent the money. You might decide the same.

IN the meantime, here's what we've been using to RV:

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/hdt-skp-list3.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/rt-rear.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/volvo_bed.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rvhighway.com/images/Volvo%20MH.jpg (broken link)

Good luck. Feel free to PM me too if you have a specific quesiton.

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-26-2007 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: no other discussion forums allowed

Old 07-06-2007, 11:33 PM

*laughs* OMG! Yes, if you have any questions, contact garth, norm.

My rig doesn't come close to his. I have a 35' entry-level diesel-pusher motorhome.

garth has shown he is much more knowledgeable in RVing than I could ever be.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:05 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,865 times
Oh comeon 'rocco . . . you make me blush. Really, he needs to talk to a lot of people, you, maybe me, and lots of other folks before he jumps into the RV thing. Each of us has different miles under our belts and have lots to offer, both positive and negative.

'rocco, if we pass on the road or in a park one day, be sure to stop by and say hi. I'll be the one trying to fit 10 lbs of (you know what) in a 5 lb bag in the RV park.

Oh, and I'm sure your rig is perfect and that you could teach me a few things! Do you know how may RV'ers would give their right leg for a big DP like that? A whole bunch, that's fer sure. Anyway, see ya' on the road.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks Garth,

I am only planning on renting an RV, not buying, so we can travel from NY to Albuquerque, Reno and southern Oregon to check out possible places to retire to. I can't imagine it would cost more than flying to Alb renting a car to drive to the other cities and pay for motel, food and other day to day living expenses. We intend to stay in each place until we make up our minds that it is or isn't for us and at the same time we will have the opportunity to do some sightseeing as we cruise around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement