Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Just an example of how we can stereotype a person based on some arbitrary characteristic that has no relationship to what we purport to measure. It can be based on our own dislikes which are not always a definition of good or bad.

To say that I do not like dogs does not mean that my dislike equates to the ownership of a dog as an indication of a stupid person; and even more so, the ownership of many dogs makes that person more stupid.

I try to understand myself, with self reflection and honesty, so I do not condemn people based on my own likes and dislikes. I do not always succeed in this self knowledge.

Livecontent
Livecontent, you may not understand what the OP is looking for in terms of neighbors but you don't have to. Some of us know exactly what she is talking about and can answer what she wanted to know.

There is no doubt that some people vote Republican and can be nice neighbors. They just might not be that fun to talk to, imho. Presumably the OP agrees with me. So people like me can try to help her out and you can spare us all the lecture about how 'republicans are people too'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For your level of tolerance, you really should check out Portland or Eugene, OR or Olympia, WA. Plenty cool weather, but not cold (bitter). Oregon politics may be right up your alley, it is not terribly expensive to live there. Taxes are plenty but they are going to causes you probably would feel comfortable to support. If Weather is too harsh, you might try California, there are affordable enclaves to live that are still occupied by plenty of antique hippies.
You are making a great point for the Original Poster as to her desire not to have 'red' neighbors.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
ExNooYawk (I used to sound like that)
Would you like to be my new neighbor?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Hiya, 'hatter, shu-ah, we could be nay-biz, whattya, kiddin' me?

Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,371,148 times
Your good at emulating the dialect in prose. I can hear ya talking.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:10 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Come to long island NY.we don't talk to each other hear unless we want to and mind our own business,just don't watch the 6PM news too much crime.MO

Old 03-27-2011, 01:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
ExNooYawk,
What are some of the less expensive enclaves in California populated by hippies?
I would like to take a look at those towns.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
ExNooYawk,
What are some of the less expensive enclaves in California populated by hippies?
I would like to take a look at those towns.
Susanra, there are no less expensive enclaves in California of anything. If you want to go inland, like to the Central Valley or the eastern edges of the state you might find something but... They aren't considered 'desirable' areas per se.

Every square inch of what is desirable in CA has been discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement