Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I work overnights, Monday through Friday. The time that isn't filled with work, is wasted on the computer. Work gives a purpose, gives me "something to do", keeps the boredom away. And yes, if you're done working, you're done living, I don't care what you've done.
Actually I think (or at least I hope) that there is a fundamental misconception between "retirement" and "working" being used here.

I popped into this thread because I "retired" at 41. I made some good investments, earned some income, planned to retire at 35 but made it six years later.

I didn't stop working though, I just work on projects that I prefer to, than whatever is expected by others. Indeed I'd honestly state that I work longer and harder now than I did in the previous 20 years, certainly without any doubt harder than the last 10.

"Working" is something you'll do whether you're "retired", or not. The truck needs an oil change, you'll drive it to a service center, or do it yourself, it's work. You write the next great American novel, it's work. You work as an office drone from 9 to 5, it's work. You harvest an acre of wheat, it's work. Even you make dinner for the family, it's work. In summation work is not tied to earnings, and retirement is not tied to a lack of work, they're orthogonal.

So in essence, depending on your perception of retirement and work, you're both correct.

If this analysis is incorrect then either one of you in my opinion has the mentality of an ant, or the other is lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
In answer to the 'reputation comment' (Which oddly enough WAS asking for my input, even though that was the EXACT OPPOSITE of the statement)

I said 'They" because I did not know the sex of jm02.

Speaking of which... jm02: We agree quite a bit. (And it HAS crossed my mind that the Other Poster is being funny) Later.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I didn't stop working though, I just work on projects that I prefer to, than whatever is expected by others.
ding ding.
I refer to it as "chunk" money as that's how it arrives: in chunks.

Quote:
Indeed I'd honestly state that I work longer and harder now than I did in the previous 20 years
well now, this sort of thinking may be taking that altogether too far

Old 11-29-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 698 times
Engagement outside work is vital. I know many people in their late 50's who are too scared to leave the corporate life. But their pension would exceed most people's average wages.

I will retire at 50. Property and saving were key for me - and property will be my hobby at 50+ and will include a network of friends/associates and like minded people.

Just 3 years to go .

Old 11-29-2014, 03:27 PM

11,106 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hello,
i'm 30, been working for 7 years as an engineer and i can't wait until i retire. That's not because i hate what i do;

My goal is to retire by 50, and i'm saving accordingly.

A friend brought up the idea of moving to Thailand or some other remote place....he was saying how you could buy a nice place on the beach for 200k!

What if.....by 50, i could save about 1.5 Mil. and move somewhere like that, buy a place outright, and just live for the remainder of my days care free!

reality is that you don't know how long you'll live....what's the point of working/saving until you're 65, then have all this money and boom, die at 75 or 80?
why not retire with less at a younger age (ie. 50), and live a simpler life with less money, but have longer to enjoy it. (ie. 30 years, versus 15)

I think about stuff like this DAILY! literally! Am i alone?
I spent 4 years in the USAF and then 21 years with a public agency and retired at 51. My husband had a similar career and he was 55 when he retired. It can be done. The more you save and invest and if you can locate a stable job that has either a pension or a 401K match, you can do well. We lived in CA, a high cost state, so we moved to TN, a lower cost state one year ago, downsized and simplified.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but you are good to start thinking about this so early. No need to be obsessed, just conscious of what you are doing. Don't spend all your dough and go into debt for "stuff" that you will just become a slave to. Save your money, pay cash, don't job-hop. Your idea is definitely doable. I personally would not retire to a foreign country unless it was Canada or the UK, but that's just me.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,014,715 times
"Early Retirement" It's as simple as following this:

The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement

Old 11-29-2014, 08:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Hello,
i'm 30, been working for 7 years as an engineer and i can't wait until i retire. That's not because i hate what i do;

My goal is to retire by 50, and i'm saving accordingly.

A friend brought up the idea of moving to Thailand or some other remote place....he was saying how you could buy a nice place on the beach for 200k!

What if.....by 50, i could save about 1.5 Mil. and move somewhere like that, buy a place outright, and just live for the remainder of my days care free!

reality is that you don't know how long you'll live....what's the point of working/saving until you're 65, then have all this money and boom, die at 75 or 80?
why not retire with less at a younger age (ie. 50), and live a simpler life with less money, but have longer to enjoy it. (ie. 30 years, versus 15)

I think about stuff like this DAILY! literally! Am i alone?
I set a goal of 55 but I was able to at 52 so retired. Better do the home work tho but mine was very successful as was wifes who retired same age five years later. 67 now. The main thing besides general funds is to assure heath insurance covered. Your way to early to decide retiring anywhere else or even if it will be as cheap then. Plan and then see ;things can change a lot.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
whole lot of people that put off work til past 30 and want to retire before they are 50.

i cant imagine why employers are not hiring can you?

Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
whole lot of people that put off work til past 30 and want to retire before they are 50.

i cant imagine why employers are not hiring can you?
By the time I was 30, I had already been working for 19 years. I started at my company at age 17 and retired at 47 with 30 years service and a pension.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Do we all realize that this three and half year old thread was revived today by poster Phil Landlord five or six posts above? Nothing wrong with that, but we shouldn't expect all the players to still be around. For example poster TKramar hasn't posted at all on City-Data for years.

I bring up that name because of his memorable quote, "If you're done working, you're done living", which is the extreme end of the spectrum as to what we want out of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement