Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times

Advertisements

Well, I love Classic Rock and even some Disco and, when we are in our car, I crank up the volume enough to make the inside sound like a concert hall. Wife loves it. Do the same on our boat when we are tied up to Jax Landing. People will walk by and look at us and I will simply say, "Seniors love to party also!" and then I will take another drink of my brew! They smile and walk away. Love to crank up Deep Purple, BTO, Foreigner, ZZ Top.......oh, you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:38 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I love Classic Rock and even some Disco and, when we are in our car, I crank up the volume enough to make the inside sound like a concert hall. Wife loves it. Do the same on our boat when we are tied up to Jax Landing. People will walk by and look at us and I will simply say, "Seniors love to party also!" and then I will take another drink of my brew! They smile and walk away. Love to crank up Deep Purple, BTO, Foreigner, ZZ Top.......oh, you get the idea.

Wish you folks were my neighbors!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
This is one of the main reasons we are considering an over 55 area for retirement. Where we are now it is impossible to sit on the deck for more than 10 minutes without having one or more of the following:

A constant basketball thumping just past the fence at the back of our lot. The "neighbor" there built a court at the back of their lot and anyone who wants can come and play. The park with a full court is a block away.

The neighbor to one side either using the leaf blower to clean his deck (every day, multiple times), or him and his kids screaming non-stop on their trampoline. He doesn't work so the noise can be pretty constant.

The neighbor's kids on the other side tossing any number of items back and forth, which wouldn't be a big deal except if anything happens that doesn't go the way the daughter wants she throws a screaming fit, and nothing ever goes her way so it's nonstop screaming and whining. The kids rule the house so nothing is ever done about the poor behavior.

Numerous dogs let (left) outside to bark nonstop. There are at least four and at times they are all out barking at each other. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owners for not training them correctly.

The next place I live will have noise ordinances. Strict ones.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:40 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,294,705 times
Tek, what you described would push me to the brink of harmful, possibly murderous, activity. This kind of mindless, senseless noise should be punished swiftly and without mercy. Even living out in the country is no guarantee of peace and quiet. We too, have the constantly barking dogs, ATVs and dirt bikes, large trucks running at warp speed, and an off center neighbor who screams at his family to communicate.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:06 AM

116 posts, read 272,906 times
Default Abhor Noises

I just abhor any man-made noise, except when I am making it (then it bothers me only a little)! The absolute worst are motorcycles (harlies), ATVs, snowmobiles, loud cars, chainsaws and motorized leaf blowers.Woe be to the industrial revolution!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:51 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
Funny thing is.......when we bought our first house, south of Denver, CO, we really thought we'd be getting away from the noise that irritated us so much in the apt complex we lived in. Truth being, there was annoying noise in the housing developement where our house was.
Two dogs next door that would wake us up in the middle of the night barking. The husband had told us wife to put the dogs in the garage at night, but she would forget to........intentionally, don't know. The same dogs chewed a hole in their backyard gate, came over to our backyard gate, chewed a hole in it and raced through our backyard. My wife was in the back patio when our neighbor behind us told her that our dogs had gotten out. She looked at them and said "we don't have dogs!". The neighbor ended up fixing our gate due to his dogs chewing a hole in it.
And then we had a couple of large woods owls that would sit on top of the house behind us and "hoot" at 3 AM, which would wake us up. I'd get our high intensity boat light, shine it up at the owls and they'd fly away. I was very careful in doing this, as to NOT wake/shock the people that lived in the house.......here's how: I would go outside, face the light (off) directly into the sky above the owls, turn it on and then bring the light down to each owl. The light only shined on the owl's body, not the house. It only took a few seconds for the owls to dislike the light and fly away!
And then, both of our side neighbors bought Harley's and started them up at 7AM on Saturday/Sunday mornings. That was ok, if we were planning on going fishing that morning, but if not and wanted to sleep in........well, you get the picture!
So, "so much" for thinking we get away from noise by buying a house!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
You're not a grumpy old coot.

I grew up in the Forties - Sixties, and there was plenty of noise in your neighbor back then...but the decibel level was waaaaaaaaaay lower, there was also a sense of neighborliness and consideration that made people sensitive to the quality of life on the street. Adults acted like that bizarre antique phenomenon now - "adults."
Unfortunately, lost arts except for us very early boomers. They can't compete with entitlement attitudes and stinkin' thinkin'.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:49 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,187 times
Im in the middle of 10 acres, amongst many other properties of 10-100 acres. When Im outside, I can distinguish between the bluebirds and the meadowlarks, lots of doves cooing (used to think they were owls), mockingbirds, bluejays, and the occasional bald eagle. I love hearing the hummingbirds "zooooooom" past me. I, too, like it very quiet, and love to sit outside after dark, to see the stars and hear the "quiet".

Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,695 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Have 12 acres (need ~ 1000acres for noise sheltering).

Good thing it rains 285 days / yr, as my neighbor only mows on nice days (very few). Coming from a manicured 'city house', she needs to mow when grass grows about 1 " (every couple days).

She is not totally impressed that I don't often rake (leaves or grass) and that she is 'down-wind'... I doubt she will be impressed if I get some hogs. (Maybe I'll just have them in the NICE summer time )

As a country kid, I was affixed to run to the window when I heard a car, tractor or truck. That was a problem when I moved to a house on a 6 lane highway. I think I wore out the carpet in a couple weeks BEFORE I finally gave up figuring out who was driving by. I got so I could lay in bed and tell what trucks were running their routes (US Mail bulk carrier, Greyhound, (each every 4 hrs) Coors, concrete, milk ...) Then there was the distant trains, and sirens. Very unpeaceful for a couple yrs. Actually I'm quite thankful to have a nice (quiet) area. (at the moment)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-12-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,559 times
I like the sound of kids playing outside happily chattering and singing as they jump on their trampoline (kids playing outside doesn't seem to happen much anymore.) That is nice compared to loud music, fighting neighbors, and the neighbor's dog constantly barking. I've experienced it all--the worst was when I was a young adult living in a bad neighborhood with no experience of hearing couples fighting. I lived in a duplex next to a couple who would physically fight at 3 am with the kids crying.

My favorite place was a house where the lots were 2-10 rural acres. Very quiet. I could not hear traffic noise and loved the sound of the owls, coyotes, and birds. Even there dogs barked but fortunately not too close to me. One summer I heard a distant neighbor yelling "shut up!" I would sit outside at night and look at stars and enjoy the quiet.

My grandkids found it funny that I would turn off all the toys that made noise. It was a pet peeve when they were young. I told them they should use their creativity to make the noise. There is too much noise pollution.

I lived in an apt. complex one time and could not stand it because of the noise. Nothing outrageous but thin walls...snoring...walking...dropping weights on the floor above me(?), vacuuming at 3 am. At least no one fighting. Fortunately I only had a 6 month lease and found a place out in the country where I woke up to the sound of horses and nature's songs.

I miss quiet although my house now in the city is well insulated with a circulating fan for air exchange which helps create white noise. I don't like the sound of the fan but have adjusted since it keeps me healthy and I do enjoy the low heating bills. After reading this thread I found my earplugs and the next time the barking dog gets on my nerves I'll try wearing them. Or get a really good book where I get so into reading that I hear nothing going on around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement