Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:21 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times

Advertisements

What if you Delay starting your pension checks? You Pension will be bigger when you get it, and you 'are looking' for work. So while you are looking for the next 99 weeks your pension gets bigger, and all the money you paid into UE fund, some of it comes back to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
What if you Delay starting your pension checks? You Pension will be bigger when you get it, and you 'are looking' for work. So while you are looking for the next 99 weeks your pension gets bigger, and all the money you paid into UE fund, some of it comes back to you.
I didn't have that option. Told employer I didn't want it yet b/c of unemployment, but they said there was nothing I could about it. Also, delaying receipt of this pension would not have increased it. It is a defined benefit amount frozen 18 years ago when company closed that plan and switched to a defined contribution plan. In the end, the pension didn't negatively affect me - as I collected same amount of unemployment dollars over a longer period, i.e., usual 26-week state benefit was paid out over 31 weeks, etc. Plus, since I was laid off in 2009, I've gotten most of the federal extensions. WI doesn't pay the full 99 weeks due to lower unemployment rate.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
The company I worked for let people volunteer to be laid off. Many who were retirement eligible took these offers. It was a sweetheart deal. They got their pension, insurance, vacation, severance pay, AND they were eligible to apply for unemployment. Since they weren't going to get another job that paid the same or more, they did collect UI.

I kept on waiting for an offer. I wanted the great deal I'd seen so many others get. But it didn't work for me, the thought of yet another winter in Minnesota pushed me over the edge. I would have been better off financially if I had collected all the freebies.

My advice to anyone in this situation would be to file and see what happens.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you retired for good, no. You have to be available, ready, willing, able, and actively seeking full time employment in most, if not all, states.

Are you officially laid off, or officially retired? You need to talk to your local unemployment office. All states seem to have different rules as to what income is allowable. And I believe ex-military have another set of rules.

He's definitely available, just not with that employer, since the employer is trying to get rid of him one way or another.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,581 times
Default Navy Enlisted Retention Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not sure how you can be forced into retirement,you can only get terminated from your job
If you got laid off you are entitled to unemployment benefits,
i doubt some one would say they are retired instead of being laid off and forfeit a years unemployment insurance.
I am 39 years old and have been in the navy for a little over 15 years. the reirement for the military is 20years but due to cut backs the military is cutting 3000 sailors in overmanned jobs i feel in that catagory. i have a letter that my contract will end for good on sep 1 2012. after a fer months that navy said that if you have over 15 years by sep you can retire for medical benifets with less pention. i have taken that because i have a family to worry about, but my pay is dropping from about 4,000 a month to abut 1,400 a month i feel i should still get unemployment. i had no choice.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davmore72 View Post
I am 39 years old and have been in the navy for a little over 15 years. the reirement for the military is 20years but due to cut backs the military is cutting 3000 sailors in overmanned jobs i feel in that catagory. i have a letter that my contract will end for good on sep 1 2012. after a fer months that navy said that if you have over 15 years by sep you can retire for medical benifets with less pention. i have taken that because i have a family to worry about, but my pay is dropping from about 4,000 a month to abut 1,400 a month i feel i should still get unemployment. i had no choice.
I have a dear friend who was booted at 18 years during the Clinton draw-down. He was an E7, no benefits, nothing. He did get unemployment for a while.

I recommend that you go speak with a Reserve Recruiter. Get into the Reserves to make your Active time count. Even if you have to change 'regions', or pester them monthly. Find an open billet and get into it. Your 15 years can still count for you.

Good luck.

ET1/SS USN- retired.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Company I worked for laid quite a few "retirement eligible" people off, provided a severance package and they collected unemployment, some for two years, THEN started collecting their pension.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM

833 posts, read 1,714,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
--"all the money you paid in to UE fund "

?????????????????????????????

I worked from 1963 until 2007 and never had a deduction for UE or for workman's comp

Please clarify .

Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
There are different situations, BUT if you are too young for pension (or don't have any income...), it is likely you will qualify for UI.

I got a sweet deal @ age 49, that included 2 yrs unemployment + free college and 60% COBRA support. It was nice while it lasted, and I'm pleased to have had the 'opportunity'

Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,469 times
Default Forced out of job and unemplymt being denied

I was "issued" (just enough issues going to administrative investigations w/resulting, accumulating discipline) out of my job. I was told I had to have a 'final' hearing OR I could avoid that black spot on my record and just type a letter stating I was leaving. The termination form DID indicate it was not a voluntary action, but my unemplmt services is choosing to believe the letter I typed for work about retiring & ignoring the copy of the term. form I faxed them when I appealed their denial for benefits the first time. They've now denied my appeal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I approach my NEXT appeal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement