Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Loking at the OP description of not being able to find a job i tewo years fulltime and his requiremnts it seems unlike their is alot fo deamnd for his skills;whatever they are;for partime under his terms. I wish him luck tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
FYI......[u]she supports me 100% in whatever I think/want to do........is that ok with you?? I do the housework and most of the cooking and she loves it. If she lost her job, she'd just look for another one and with her education, experience and credintials........no problem, unlike myself. All of my SS will go into OUR banking account for whatever. As far as my personality, she tells me "I love it" and also "at least your not boring!" And, as far as your "child/man" remark......so, your point????? Being "too picky", we both say "nope" to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Unless you have been living under a rock you must know that there are millions of underemployed people in this country. As their unemployment benefits run out these people are snapping up part-time jobs and sometimes several in order to stay afloat. So, if you are serious about getting a job, maybe now is not the time to be so "picky".

Have you ever thought about what would happen if your wife lost her job? Yes, that is a possibility in today's financial environment. Or maybe someday soon she will realize that all of your enduring quirky personality traits will not make up for the fact that you are contributing very little financially to the household. I bet she expects you to get a job even though she has put stipulations on the hours and days you are allowed to work. Of course, maybe she is the type of woman who likes to take care of a child/man financially. Good luck to you!

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 07-20-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM

One other thing (while I'm at it), my wife has written a couple of small paperback books that we hope to make some money off of. I've done the Marketing thing for her for these. We also have a small "stock photography" business that I'm working on again. So, even though I'm not actually working right now, we both consider what I'm doing above as some work.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:56 PM

My skills/experience weren't the problem, a college degree and/or certification was! On my last job in Purchasing/Inventory, a degree was not required and neither was certification and I worked directly for a man who had a Bachelor's Degree and was both a CPM and CPIM thru APICS. Wife and I can't afford those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Loking at the OP description of not being able to find a job i tewo years fulltime and his requiremnts it seems unlike their is alot fo deamnd for his skills;whatever they are;for partime under his terms. I wish him luck tho.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:16 PM

419 posts, read 758,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My skills/experience weren't the problem, a college degree and/or certification was! On my last job in Purchasing/Inventory, a degree was not required and neither was certification and I worked directly for a man who had a Bachelor's Degree and was both a CPM and CPIM thru APICS. Wife and I can't afford those!
You have had to know for at least 20 yrs. that you would have to have a degree or at least certifications to advance in your career. Now at age 62 you can not afford them. Unfortunately, it is too late for you. Ever hear of age discrimination? It is alive and well.

You have stated that if your wife lost her job, she would have no problem finding another one because she has the education & certifications which makes her very employable. Think again. There are many 50+ age people walking the streets with comparable credindials looking for jobs.

All I am saying, is maybe you should look at the reality as it is. Of course, if you are able to bank your SS check then your situation is not quite so dire. But, if you need to add income to cover your monthly expenses then maybe you are not in the position to dictate what you consider to be the perfect part-time job.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
So far temp agencies have been pointless and useless for me in Florida. Even the same agency that always found work for me in Dallas have not responded to me at all her in the Tampa area.

moved ... before you go off of SS, please check it out. Without looking it up again, I think that you can do that only if you repay all SS earned so far.
I was told that if I get a job making $14,000 or more per year, to let SS know, and they would suspend it. The SS worker that handled my case, specifically told me that. Last year my income from working was $6,916, and it might actually get close to $8,000 for this year from working at H&R Block.

I would only get close to $14,000 if I'm rehired by the Federal Government, so I'm not too worried about it.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 AM

I was a Stockroom Supervisor back in 1989 for an electronics manufacturer. My supervisor (Purchasing Manager) only had an AA Degree in Business and NO certifications in Purchasing/Inventory, yet he was in-charge of Purchasing, Stockroom, Shipping/Recieving. I worked for another company (1995) as a Purchasing Asst. and the Buyer at that one had no degree/certification at all......and he was the Buyer! The last major company I worked for I was a Materials Coordinator. The Buyer who was my supervisor/director had a Bachelor's Degree and APICS certification. Requirements for my position didn't require a degree or certification at all. I have found out that there are numerous people out there that have advanced from working in a warehouse/shipping/recieving to working in Purchasing and Inventory with no degree and/or certification. I guess it just depends on the company.
As far as my wife goes, she has been working a full-time job since last Nov. and she is still gets calls from both agencies and companies to see if she is available for work. She has got one EXCELLENT resume and yes, she has the education/skills/experience that, apparently, a number of companies want!
As far as the "perfect" part-time job, yes, THAT is exactly what both of us want me to have. We did discuss it and she doesn't want me working nights or weekends.
So, what can I say, I have a wife that wants me around to cook and do things with her!! And, I love it!!

Quote:
You have had to know for at least 20 yrs. that you would have to have a degree or at least certifications to advance in your career. Now at age 62 you can not afford them. Unfortunately, it is too late for you. Ever hear of age discrimination? It is alive and well.

You have stated that if your wife lost her job, she would have no problem finding another one because she has the education & certifications which makes her very employable. Think again. There are many 50+ age people walking the streets with comparable credindials looking for jobs.

All I am saying, is maybe you should look at the reality as it is. Of course, if you are able to bank your SS check then your situation is not quite so dire. But, if you need to add income to cover your monthly expenses then maybe you are not in the position to dictate what you consider to be the perfect part-time job.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM

Sure am glad I went for my SS/Early Retirement! I really wish I could have waited, but that was simply impossible! Unemployment has had a firm grip on me and simply won't let loose! Still seeking a part-time job, but even that can be awefully hard to do. Even though my SS is under 1k, it is still very nice to see it come into our banking acct each month. It does help! My wife hopes to keep working after she reaches 66 so she can get her regular salary and full SS/Retirement as well. No cap on earnings after turning that age. She only has a couple of years to go.
What I wonder is: When an employee turns 66 and is eligible for full SS Retirement, they can apply for that and not be punished by the company? How does, if it does, find out that an employee is collecting SS/Retirement? I wonder how many employed people at age 66 do apply/get full SS/Retirement benefits?

Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:

This is SCBaker's 2nd reply and overall his advice/suggestions are sound.

I think you are being picky, but yet I also understand you can afford to be picky. Being picky does not sit well with those a bit hurting and will do anything short of illegal for work, but some of us can be picky.

I am retired but could be interested in part time employment that fits my "schedule". In a recent employment interview with a well known DYI superstore I was asked what days I could work. I said I played golf on Tue, Fri and Sun but any other day could work for me. I was told that they made the work day schedule up, not me. I said I can understand that, but as it does not fit me, I thank for your time but I am not interested. Have a nice day. Bye. It felt really good saying that.

I say keep looking and being picky, as will I......LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 10-12-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-12-2011, 11:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Bette suggests:

Maybe a nursing home, adult facility, hospital front desk, something like that. Go out and check out the places that seem to hire older workers.
Also, you like the water - how about at a marina?

Why would someone suggest the above jobs when Loveboating has made it perfectly clear that he does not have the capacity to hold a job that requires standing? The man cannot do a job that requires standing on the job.

As a person who cannot stand for more than a minute or two without heavy pain, I understand this limitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement