Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks Crescent Mural View Post
The person I rent from retired at 55 from a state government job because he was tired of the politics. It was a toss up for him too financially. If he'd stayed until 70, he'd get twice the pension, but he didn't know if he'd even live that long or much longer after that to make it worth it. He now works as a craftsman at Silver Dollar City and loves it. He doesn't make much money, but with his retirement, he's doing fine and he's happier than ever.

I've got to admit, while reading your post, my face looked like the Smiley with the wide open circle mouth. I had no idea that government people were getting paid that much for doing nothing. Absolutely no offense intended toward you at all. I can absolutely tell you are a decent person. I'm just naive.
I'm sure some are. However, my wife and I are both government retirees from our former state and I can assure you that we worked very hard for our salaries, benefits and retirements. I recall many times coming home after a day only to link to my office systems with my home computer and continuing to work - call-backs at 9:00 p.m. that might keep me at the office until 3:00 a.m. only to turn around and be back there at 8:00 the same morning - weekends that weren't because of tight deadlines or program crises that had to be met and dealt with.

Are there those civil "servants" who take advantage of union protections and do the bare minimum? Of course there are. But by-and-large, the people we both worked with were very professional and driven to give back as much or more than they received. I don't believe it's just because we both worked in politics and legislation (for different agencies) which are very demanding. I believe it was because of darn good work ethics.

As with most things, we can't all be painted with the same broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I think perhaps what is really eating at you is that you are kept at arms length but close enough to see that unethical things are going on.Even if you came forward ;its unlike your evidence is admissable.But as a member of the court even being that close takes a great toll on yourself opinion. I say the toll isn't worth the benefit you'll receive staying any longer.At times we have to make decisions of what we can actually affect and what we have to walk away from to not support by being any part of it.Time to breathe some clean air and rebuild some of that faith you have loss in yourself and others. good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement