Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

...and the payroll tax cut. Who ya gonna believe?

Truth Squad: How healthy is the Social Security trust fund? - CNN.com

And will the cut have to be made up by down-sized benefits for the next generation of SS recipients since they will have contributed less to it?

To me it's just yet another of many "Who knows?" issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Haven't "they" been talking about this for years, now? I think it will be dependent alot on who is elected, how the millionaires are taxed, what the interest groups like AARP decide to lobby for, etc. etc. I personally am not going to worry about this (or about any other money issue). The government has no clue what they are doing now, and I just cannot be concerned enough to help them figure it out. As long as I get my 3.6% increase, let them figure out where its coming from.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Haven't "they" been talking about this for years, now? I think it will be dependent alot on who is elected, how the millionaires are taxed, what the interest groups like AARP decide to lobby for, etc. etc. I personally am not going to worry about this (or about any other money issue). The government has no clue what they are doing now, and I just cannot be concerned enough to help them figure it out. As long as I get my 3.6% increase, let them figure out where its coming from.
Well if, as they say, it will last until 2036 at least, I'll be 90 then and likely won't know, won't care or won't remember! Chances are I won't make it that long anyway.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I think the Payroll Tax cut is one of the most dangerous moves I've seen from the Federal Government.

Here is my prediction, a decade or so from now Obama will be viewed as initiating the end of Social Security as we know it.

By the way, I've expressed this concern in a previous thread last year too:

Temporary Payroll Tax Cut Worries Social Security Advocates

Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think the Payroll Tax cut is one of the most dangerous moves I've seen from the Federal Government.

Here is my prediction, a decade or so from now Obama will be viewed as initiating the end of Social Security as we know it.

By the way, I've expressed this concern in a previous thread last year too:

Temporary Payroll Tax Cut Worries Social Security Advocates
At the risk of sounding political (even if it was my career) and off-topic (you started it ), I think Obama's entire agenda is to usher in the end of the country as we've known it and it's managed to survive for over 200 years.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:58 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
All the revenue is put in one pot and then they spend much more than they have. The trust fund is an accounting exercise just like many other measures that the government uses to mislead us as well as themselves. The cut is as much a political move as anything else and what really needs to happen (but won't) is a complete reform of both spending and taxes.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:56 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
I am completely opposed to a payroll tax cut. It will make no difference in the unemployment issue and only serves to weaken Social Security further - which has been running a surplus until lately. Questionable impact as an economic stimulus, as well. People are given money to spend that they shouldn't be. Since future of SS endangered by this move, that 2-3% should put into individual retirement accounts. Not spent. These people are going to need it.

I see it as a political ploy to tell working people "I cut your taxes" - but reality is their futures are being compromised.

Totally irresponsible, imo. There is no valid argument for this. None.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
If the article is correct, the payroll tax cut won't affect the solvency of SS, because the revenue that would have been collected and put into the SS trust fund is being replaced (and put into the SS trust fund) by general tax revenue (which means, of course, it's borrowed, and charged to Uncle Sam's Mad-Max credit card). What it does is provide a boost to many people who make too little to pay any income taxes at all.

But I think that NewToCa has identified the real problem, which is the difficulty in reinstating the full payroll tax anytime in the future. Strategically, it seems like a really stupid (or cynical) move, given the purported need to increase tax revenue in order to cut the deficit and debt.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 12-11-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 06:49 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
It does matter which account SS benefits are drawn from. SS should not be commingled w/tax revenues to run govt, although I know they are. Separate books are still being kept. Otherwise, why would the article mention that the difference in revenues. SS revenues decrease, causing SS to start to run a 'deficit' - further fueling the arguments of opponents that the 'scheme' was bound to fail. As I recall, it was Lyndon Johnson(?) who first broke the lock box of SS. Too lazy to look it up right now. Anyway you cut it, SS has less revenue - and that is not good any way you look at it. It is a BAD idea. Sadly, you are correct. Just like Bush tax cuts were supposed to sunset in 2009 or 2010, good luck getting the payroll tax restored. So, 2036 will soon become 2025, if not earlier. I'm fit as fiddle at 69. Wth, 2025 is only 13 years away. My sister thinks I'll live to be 100 - under a bridge if things continue this way.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-11-2011 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Trust Fund? I don't trust any of those politicians with it...Vote em all out.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement