Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times

Advertisements

Looking at all the places we have lived, now live, and will live soon, I certainly never say never. Husband is funny though, he often said, after the fact, "I never thought I would live in Europe" then, "I never thought I would live in New England" then, "I never thought I would live in the South" and, "I never thought I would live in CA again."

I kept telling him to stop thinking; thinking never did him any good so why bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
I have recently retired and moved to Northern New England. We love it, but the process of selling the old house and the moving van and a myriad of stuff means that we will never move again. But we've made many new friends who don't know all our old stories, and we are having more fun that we had in the mid atalantic states for the many years before than. My wife says that I have become the outgoing person of the two of us.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I have recently retired and moved to Northern New England. We love it, but the process of selling the old house and the moving van and a myriad of stuff means that we will never move again. But we've made many new friends who don't know all our old stories, and we are having more fun that we had in the mid atalantic states for the many years before than. My wife says that I have become the outgoing person of the two of us.
As we enter the northern (brrrr) winter up this way, may I ask where in Northern New England you are...VT, NH, or ME? And how are you weathering the weather, as compared with the mid-Atlantic at this time of year?

Did you ever say "never" before moving north?

Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Did you leave kids behind anywhere?
Yes kids (and grand kids) in the Boston area when we moved in 2002 but they were adults, doing fine, had lives of their own, and we were set on going south to enjoy our own lives.

They are more then welcome to move here....wait..let me rethink that...LOL

Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Yes kids (and grand kids) in the Boston area when we moved in 2002 but they were adults, doing fine, had lives of their own, and we were set on going south to enjoy our own lives.

They are more then welcome to move here....wait..let me rethink that...LOL
And you're really and truly handling that Southern summer heat OK?

Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I agree with ER. I enjoy the true stories and sound advice I get from this forum. It seems to me at least 90% of the folks who post are respectful of one another and I see a lot less nonsense on the Retirement forum than I do other places on CD. I simply take the wisdom and ignore the rest.
I also agree with ER. Being on CD a lot over the last few years I've finally learned to ignore the insulting attackers. It's all impersonal. Now, I've been known to take strong exception to someone's views, but it is the view that I go after, never the person (unless that person starts in with attack BS, then I hand it back). But even with attacks, I just realize that those who make them are insecure just like kids who bully. So, be respectful and state your opinions and be prepared for others to disagree at least half of the time. C'est la vie.

Edited to add: Slyfox, We are all hiding behind a persona here. And most of us enjoy and can handle conflicting views. It is a FORUM, not a club.

Back to the topic at hand..."never say never"...

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Please stay on topic and do not hijack this thread. Do not discuss other members as this just derails the thread.

We are not here to bicker and attack other members. Please report bad posts rather than respond.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 PM

A good friend of mine, now nearly retired, has stated she would never ever move away from her home town (where I now live). She's never lived anywhere else but here. As a healthcare practitioner, she wants to do her own consulting after retirement and that is not allowed in this state unless it's under a licensed professional. She is now contemplating moving to Colorado where apparently the laws are different. The only reason she's thinking of this is because of the law, and also she is an avid skier. It would be sad for me if she moves away...after saying "never."

I would guess that there's always one particular reason lurking in the back of someone's mind when they reconsider after saying "never."

Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 AM

84 posts, read 241,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Catsy, what part of DE are you in? I wasn't even aware that MD had a shore LOL--I had to look it up on the map. My sister lives in Hagerstown but that is quite a ways inland. I would imagine the MD shore area is pricey (?)
HI The eastern shore in some areas is pricey, or lets say was pricey such as Talbot, Queen Anne, lower eastern shore not as pricey. I am in real estate and work just on the eastern shore.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 PM

So, for those retirees seemingly settled in for good/forever, is your eye or your imagination wandering to new locales in 2012? If so, why? (those who are perfectly content where they are, please don't answer )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement