Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Frankly, I'm thinking 68 is a bit optomistic looking forward at the rate of our national debt and the increased taxation of investments come 2013.

News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Frankly, I'm thinking 68 is a bit optomistic looking forward at the rate of our national debt and the increased taxation of investments come 2013.
For once we seem to agree. There is no question that the amount of money we have determines what sort of lives we lead. This is true of any age but most important in our twilight years as we must either have money or prepare for the worst when debilitating illness strikes. Our major lifestyle concern is staying out of a nursing home. Is there anyone who wouldn't prefer to have private duty nursing? But it's not cheap. The range is probably eight to fifteen thousand per month or more for an R.N. 24/7. But it's worth every penny...if you have it.

Stay in the workplace as long as you can. Your coworkers may resent you for holding a supervisory position they consider rightfully theirs. They may complain of our flatulence. When they mention the latter tell them you're from the northern climes where your ancestors revered the supreme gods of the winds. Tell them to think of a cowry shell, not as a fertility symbol, but as an anus whence blow the winds of the gods. That's true, lads and lassies. As an aside I must mention that I've been doing some reading on geriatric flatulence and hope to begin a thread in the near future.

We've had more years to learn and until senile dementia raises its ugly head we are the most competent. It is a fact that the highest income years are the sixties and would likely be later if more people would keep working.

Need more convincing? Just look at the US economy. It's unlikely there will be a US twenty years hence.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
For once we seem to agree. There is no question that the amount of money we have determines what sort of lives we lead. This is true of any age but most important in our twilight years as we must either have money or prepare for the worst when debilitating illness strikes. Our major lifestyle concern is staying out of a nursing home. Is there anyone who wouldn't prefer to have private duty nursing? But it's not cheap. The range is probably eight to fifteen thousand per month or more for an R.N. 24/7. But it's worth every penny...if you have it.

Stay in the workplace as long as you can. Your coworkers may resent you for holding a supervisory position they consider rightfully theirs. They may complain of our flatulence. When they mention the latter tell them you're from the northern climes where your ancestors revered the supreme gods of the winds. Tell them to think of a cowry shell, not as a fertility symbol, but as an anus whence blow the winds of the gods. That's true, lads and lassies. As an aside I must mention that I've been doing some reading on geriatric flatulence and hope to begin a thread in the near future.

We've had more years to learn and until senile dementia raises its ugly head we are the most competent. It is a fact that the highest income years are the sixties and would likely be later if more people would keep working.

Need more convincing? Just look at the US economy. It's unlikely there will be a US twenty years hence.
Some of what you say doesn't make sense, but I don't feel the same "doom and gloom" you express. I'm supposing you have a lot of stress in your life. I don't want to work until I drop, so I plan to retire from full-time work in another 3 or 4 years. I'll be 67/68 and will have invested as much as I can affird in my 401k, and I'll also have my SS, my long-term care insurance and a few other things in place.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
For me, the new 65 is going to be my dirt nap.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The new 65 being 68 is more based on social security likely age. It has never been nor will it be a retiremnt age for all. In fact just my observation is that the age that mnay retire as never been lower. I am 64 and perhpas never i my lifetime have I seen so mnay middle class people beig able to retire before even 62. Its not the over all but certainly much more common tha i have seen thru the years.I think it also true that mnay more actauly who depdnd on SS fid they have to work beyond 65 because they have little if any backup.Then I knwo some who work beyonf because they wnat to or want aliitle more such as travel tec.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I have never understood why people think there is some iron law that one retires at 65 (just because it was the age that Kaiser Wilhelm instituted some 100 years ago for civil servants). You can retire when you can afford to, whatever that means.
As far as working forever or something, do remember that a lot of people have jobs that get harder with age- how many 70-year-old laborers or waitresses do you see? Also, I think a lot of people with decent jobs have suffered layoffs or multiple layoffs and has affected whatever savings or plans they prudently made.
Then there are people I know who just stare into space and say, "I'll just have to work until I die" and blank out at any suggestion of planning.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
As an aside I must mention that I've been doing some reading on geriatric flatulence and hope to begin a thread in the near future.
If you do start a thread on that subject, it'll be one of the few subjects which hasn't been beaten to death in this forum. Glad you enjoy reading on worthwhile subjects.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't see this. GDP estimates have been revised upward and the markets are growing again. It may not be the growth levels that we've seen in decades past but it is far better than it has been since 2008 and the forecast points to a higher probability of growth than we've seen in years.

The doom & gloom you portend is not really warranted at this point.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Boomers;duck and cover as the end for one reason or another you have heard all your life is near again.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
SoButcounty. I tend to agree. I think the USA may very well be gone in 20 years. Why? Debt, inflation, economic colapse, new govt. Far too many people not working, sponging off the ones that still are working. Face it, governments come and go. We are one of the longest established govts. in the world. Nothing lasts forever. Look at the USSR. Who ever thought it would colapse, but it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement