Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

Without knowig what field the Op is in I don't know if its one that is easliy to make a shift into same basic field after retiremnt. Mnay police and fiire fighters retire early as its most a younger man's job really but their experience usually opens fields that want their experience. Even some military retirees are in demand for related industries.Not know Ops field ;perhaps its time for Op to look into these type opportunites to continue working in related field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I started at this job when I was 19, been here 27 years, and company has a mandatory 30 year reteirment. So I will be 49 in 3 years and forced into reteirment.
At 49, the only one who is forcing you into retirement is yourself. You may have to leave the employ of that particular company, but where is it written you can't continue to work for another employer?

Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I have a friend who retired from the miltary, went back and got a Bachelor's degree, and now is an independent businessman. Unless you have lots and lots of money to do what you want, I think 49 is way too young to retire.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I dont think you necessarily need lots of money. Money always helps but, if you lead a simple life and have inexpensive interests (and if you have the right state of mind), you can enjoy retirement even at a young age.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Health insurance would be the major sticking point, assuming OP can afford to not work.
I knew a guy who had a 20-yr. career as a Marine officer. He wanted to do something simple when he got out at, I think, age 42 or so. (If promoted, he could have stayed, but chose not to). I think he tinkered with software, communications and control, part of his Marine job. He wanted something less stressful. Then I read that he became a police officer.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
the stats favor early retirement. too many people die on the job.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Health insurance would be the major sticking point, assuming OP can afford to not work.
I knew a guy who had a 20-yr. career as a Marine officer. He wanted to do something simple when he got out at, I think, age 42 or so. (If promoted, he could have stayed, but chose not to). I think he tinkered with software, communications and control, part of his Marine job. He wanted something less stressful. Then I read that he became a police officer.
I take it from the full pensio and nenefits that health insurance are covered.The concern OP posted about was just the age beign too young to retire fully.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
LOL

At my 17 year point I was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer. I needed a lower stress job, so they made me a Law Enforcement Officer and sent me to Europe where I ended up serving in Kosovo.

Gotta admit though looking back, it was lower stress than what I had been doing.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:18 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Was at a retirment party for a co-worker when someone reminded me that my party will probably be the next one for our center.

I started at this job when I was 19, been here 27 years, and company has a mandatory 30 year reteirment. So I will be 49 in 3 years and forced into reteirment. I will have full pension, benefits and such, so sitting back on the lanai sipping ice tea and watching the clouds go by isn't going to be a problem, BUT... I am just too young to be retired. Just the thought makes me uneasy...

Has anyone else been in a forced retriement situation and did you:
1. Transition into retriment without any problems.
2. Had a very hard time transitioning.
3. Couldn't transition and had to find work.

I;m not really sure how I will take it especially since I never did this retirement thing before and I guess being reminded of it was kinda like sudden icy water in the hot shower.
It's probably not retirement but that you haven't been looking for a job in all of those 27 years that's scaring you. When I retired at 55, everyone I met was at least 65 and most older. It's going to be tough to find someone to "hang around with" during the daytime in retirement at age 49. That was my problem. At least you aren't in a financial vise.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:41 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times
What sort of industry has forced retirement?
I was squeezed out at age 56, not able to find another job so Im taking on line courses to do something else.
49 is way too young to hang out all day with the dog and cat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement