Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
NewEnglandGirl. The Old Testament had all kinds of food restrictions on what the Jews could eat. My guess is that many of these, like pork, were banned for eating because of health considerations. Eating certain foods in our typical diet certainly has some risk, improperly cooked beef, chicken or pork, oysters, etc. My guess is your friend ate something that had a parasite, and died from it. You have to remember that some of the things that people die from might have a name, but the cause remains unknown. ITs probably a warning to us not to get too "experimental" in our eating.
Her autopsy definitely ruled Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. It may or may not have to do with proper cooking of animal food, as too little is known. Diet is a primary factor in diseases caused by inflammation (by many accounts, most are). Any foods, not just animal foods, can cause inflammation, notably wheat...not to mention the pesticides and toxins that we consume every day.

Some years back there were articles linking aluminum to Alzheimers. The obvious first thought was cooking in aluminum cookware and soda cans, but aluminum is everywhere, notably in our public drinking water, as artificial (sodium) fluoride added to it is a byproduct (throw-away) of the aluminum industry. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772802 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2216983

The rate of increasing dementias definitely suggests that we are being exposed to something that previous generations were not, at least not at the levels we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I believe early-onset dementia (presumably Alzheimer's type) is very familial, from parent to child, and among sibs. Other forms of dementia can occur "early," like Lewy-Body, vascular, certainly alcoholic, or Pick's.
I get mad when anyone says, "oops, I'm having a senior moment." Has that person ever seen a dementia person who has forgotten who they are, who everyone is, and how to speak or walk or use a bathroom or not scream? We all lose some word-finding ability "early," that is, around 50 or so. You can picture the movie star but their name eludes you for a few minutes, or it will come easily to you three hours later. That isn't dementia. I see it as either that part of your memory is the first part to wear down, or that part is full, like a computer disk, and you have to kick something out to let new stuff in.
People tend to think dementia=Alzheimer's, whereas A.D. is still a disease of rule-outs.
Cold comfort, I'm sure, but it's the truth.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Since Alzheimer's disease, from what I understand, can only be diagnosed post mortem, I think that the perceived "prevalence" is HIGHLY questionable.

Obviously some people "get" dementia . . . what used to be referred as a percentage of the population becoming "senile" and just basically getting too old to function (the cases thought of usually being the crazy old neighborhood lady).

Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I didn't read the article but your thesis that early onset seems to be more prevalent, I believe is false. As to environmental influences, of course . . . and really the variables as to what would produce such an outcome are too numerous to even consider . . . I believe you are only considering material factors (things you can see), but I personally believe there are emotional and spiritual reasons that people get sick . . .I don't think sickness is random, but very, very specific to an individual, their lifestyle, their emotional make-up, their circumstances, toxins they have taken in, as well as karma and other unknown factors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Since Alzheimer's disease, from what I understand, can only be diagnosed post mortem, I think that the perceived "prevalence" is HIGHLY questionable.

Obviously some people "get" dementia . . . what used to be referred as a percentage of the population becoming "senile" and just basically getting too old to function (the cases thought of usually being the crazy old neighborhood lady).
Perhaps you should read the article. It might help inform your responses.

Age 48 is hardly "too old to function" for most people. That would be a "crazy [young] person."

Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Her autopsy definitely ruled Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. It may or may not have to do with proper cooking of animal food, as too little is known. Diet is a primary factor in diseases caused by inflammation (by many accounts, most are). Any foods, not just animal foods, can cause inflammation, notably wheat...not to mention the pesticides and toxins that we consume every day.

Some years back there were articles linking aluminum to Alzheimers. The obvious first thought was cooking in aluminum cookware and soda cans, but aluminum is everywhere, notably in our public drinking water, as artificial (sodium) fluoride added to it is a byproduct (throw-away) of the aluminum industry. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772802 www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2216983

The rate of increasing dementias definitely suggests that we are being exposed to something that previous generations were not, at least not at the levels we are.
You sound like Meryl Streep talking about alar on 60 Minutes.

How many people do you personally know under the age of 65 who have any kind of dementia? My husband and I (mid-60's) have only known 2. Both diagnosed as Parkinson's Lewy Body. We did know people who died from AIDS - but were never close enough to them to see them in their final months/weeks/days (when they might have had AIDS dementia). There are now over 1 million people in the US living with HIV/full blown AIDS. If they develop dementia - do you think the MSM will report it as AIDS related - or somehow try to associate it with eating soup out of tin cans?

IOW - don't believe everything you read in the papers.

BTW - what kind of mental diseases do you think people on certain TV reality shows - like "Hoarders" - have. I'd call them demented - but I don't think they have dementia. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 03-27-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You sound like Meryl Streep talking about alar on 60 Minutes.

Funny, people have come up to me throughout my life and say I look just like her.

How many people do you personally know under the age of 65 who have any kind of dementia? My husband and I (mid-60's) have only known 2. Both diagnosed as Parkinson's Lewy Body. We did know people who died from AIDS - but were never close enough to them to see them in their final months/weeks/days (when they might have had AIDS dementia).

IOW - don't believe everything you read in the papers.

I don't read "the papers." I read a lot online - medical journals including JAMA. Some I just read abstracts in, as you have to subscribe at a substantial amount, but the abstracts describe the hypothesis and the findings.

BTW - what kind of mental diseases do you think people on certain TV reality shows - like "Hoarders" - have. I'd call them demented - but I don't think they have dementia.

I have never watched TV reality shows, so cannot comment here. Dementia takes many forms, it is not a one size fits all disease. I find it interesting and applicable to people my age to read as much as possible about it. I have drawn no conclusions, can only say what has found to be correlated with some forms of it.

Robyn
^

In an article I cited on a thread I started about Alzheimer's, it is generally conceded among "experts" who track such things that one in eight people age 65+ now have ALZ, and the projection for the future is more, as this can apparently develop in earlier years with a long incubation period. So who knows, maybe most seniors will some day suffer from some form of dementia.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM

And then there are other causes of dementia - like Huntington's Chorea (most famous patient = Woody Guthrie). Totally inherited.

Even MS - which my husband has - and which is also pretty much inerhited - can cause cognitive changes which might amount to a Dx of dementia.

Of course - there are many other diseases that we know are passed on genetically (like CF).

So let me turn this thing on its head. Instead of worrying about tin cans - should we test people genetically before they are allowed to have children - and prohibit those who will in all probability pass on these terrible diseases to any children they have from having children? It is an interesting question in light of modern medicine. We could get rid of lots of diseases in a generation or so by not allowing people who carry certain genes to breed. And there is some precedent. For example - Tay Sachs is a very bad disease that is mostly restricted to Jewish people. It's a recessive gene. Which means that the odds of having an ok kid are good - unless both parents have the gene. If both parents have the gene - most Rabbis won't marry them. Makes sense to me (unless neither party to the marriage wants to have children - or only wants to adopt). Robyn

Old 03-27-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
^

In an article I cited on a thread I started about Alzheimer's, it is generally conceded among "experts" who track such things that one in eight people age 65+ now have ALZ, and the projection for the future is more, as this can apparently develop in earlier years with a long incubation period. So who knows, maybe most seniors will some day suffer from some form of dementia.
Well you know 65+ includes 70+ - 80+ - 90+ etc.

Have you ever really dealt with a person with Alzheimer's? I wouldn't so much call it an incubation period as the progression of a disease that can last for a decade or more. Robyn

Old 03-27-2012, 04:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
^

And if you care to believe the mental health-industrial complex as bought and paid for by pharma in their publication of the DSM-V or whatever the latest is or was, 95% of the population has a mental disorder of one sort or another.

They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa
Warner Bros. 1975 BS 2855 0698

Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to
leave because I'd go berserk?? Well...
You left me anyhow and then the days got worse and worse and now you see
I've gone completely out of my mind.. And..

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa
To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be
happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're
coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!

You thought it was a joke and so you laughed, you laughed when I had said
that loosing you would make me flip my lid.. RIGHT???
I know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed you laughed and
laughed and then you left, but now you know I'm utterly mad... And..

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa,
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.
To the happy home. With trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket
weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes and they're
coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!

I cooked your food, I cleaned your house, and this is how you pay me back
for all my kind unselfish loving deeds.. Huh??
Well you just wait, they'll find you yet and when they do they'll put you
in the ASPCA, you mangy mutt!!! And...

They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa.
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy
to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming
to take me away, ha-haaa!!!

To the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket
weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes and they're
coming to take me away, ha-haa!!!
To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time... (fade out)

Hey, buddy!
Yes officer..
You a head?
No, but I'm catching up, ha ha ha....

original recording by Napoleon XIV

Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:

For the life of me, I cannot find any data that suggests an increasing rate of dementia. After a lot of searching, I found one article published in Feb. 2008 that stated the rate of dementias has actually declined.

Health | U.S. dementia rates are on the decline — Memory loss isn't inevitable | Seattle Times Newspaper

Am I missing something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement