Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times

Advertisements

As I have gotten older, in recent months, I've noticed that my finger nails do not seem to grow on top of the skin. The end of the nail seems to grow into the skin somewhat. Once the nail is clipped, I have an impression in the skin at the end of the finger where the underside of the nail made an impression. I then have to use a nail file, clipper, to dress up the sharp edges of skin around the freshly clipped nail.

I expected issues like this with toe nails in older age, but not finger nails.

Anyone have any good home fixes for this, or are slightly ingrown finger nails a part of getting old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I have the same problem which gets severe with my bowling thumb, often causing a bad sore. I have no answer, I'll be interested to see if someone does

Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Are you clenching your hands in your sleep?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
As I have gotten older, in recent months, I've noticed that my finger nails do not seem to grow on top of the skin. The end of the nail seems to grow into the skin somewhat. Once the nail is clipped, I have an impression in the skin at the end of the finger where the underside of the nail made an impression. I then have to use a nail file, clipper, to dress up the sharp edges of skin around the freshly clipped nail.

I expected issues like this with toe nails in older age, but not finger nails.

Anyone have any good home fixes for this, or are slightly ingrown finger nails a part of getting old?
It sounds as though you're clipping your nails too short. If there is a bit of overlap, the nail should naturally grow over the top of the finger.

I'm waaaayyyy over 55 and although I have very fragile nails, (a lifelong problem), they do extend over the top of the skin.

The only other thing could be edema of the extremities. Do you have swelling of your fingers and toes? Have you seen your physician lately? I'd mention it at your next visit and see if there could be a medical reason.

Until then, try going for a bit more length. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
What I have noticed is that starting at about 50 my fingernails actually became much harder.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
I've noticed more "ridges" on my finger nails ... which used to be perfectly smooth.

This is something that perplexes me because I am in good health and eat healthy food and take vitamin supplements, like Centrum Silver, B12, Calcium Citrate, etc. religiously. My doctor says that I am in much better health than the majority of people my age (almost 58), I do not take meds for high blood pressure, or acid reflux, or any of those things. I am nearly my perfect weight.

They say ridges on your finger nails may be a sign of nutritional deficiencies or poor health.

Who knows?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 AM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
It sounds as though you're clipping your nails too short. If there is a bit of overlap, the nail should naturally grow over the top of the finger.

I'm waaaayyyy over 55 and although I have very fragile nails, (a lifelong problem), they do extend over the top of the skin.

The only other thing could be edema of the extremities. Do you have swelling of your fingers and toes?

try going for a bit more length.
No swelling at all.

It seems like the sides of my nails are now growing more downward that before.
Length seems to make it worse. I trimmed my left thumb nail yesterday.
After trimming, there was an area of skin at the end of my thumb that was raised. I then had to trim the skin with the nail clippers while trying not to break the skin. After that the skin around the sides and end of the nail were smooth.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What I have noticed is that starting at about 50 my fingernails actually became much harder.
Me too. Also,the layers are separating. I've never been a big fan of nail polish but use it now just to keep the top layer from splitting off.

When I go to meet my maker, I'm going to see if I can find out why humans developed such ridiculous nails. How did we get these flimsy things that just sit on top of fingers?? Dogs and cats have better nails and they evolved before us. Why didn't we inherit retractable claws--that would have been cool!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've noticed more "ridges" on my finger nails ... which used to be perfectly smooth.

This is something that perplexes me because I am in good health and eat healthy food and take vitamin supplements, like Centrum Silver, B12, Calcium Citrate, etc. religiously. My doctor says that I am in much better health than the majority of people my age (almost 58), I do not take meds for high blood pressure, or acid reflux, or any of those things. I am nearly my perfect weight.

They say ridges on your finger nails may be a sign of nutritional deficiencies or poor health.

Who knows?
I read a while back that ridges going up and down are normal for older people where as ridges going across are not. Weak, dry, splitting nails are a sign of low thyroid function. Maybe when we get old, due to reduced blood flow in our extremities, the nails are not nourished enough. Time to do some finger exercises. You would think doing housework, etc would get blood flowing. Getting old and having one's body wear out is depressing!!!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I read a while back that ridges going up and down are normal for older people where as ridges going across are not. Weak, dry, splitting nails are a sign of low thyroid function. Maybe when we get old, due to reduced blood flow in our extremities, the nails are not nourished enough. Time to do some finger exercises. You would think doing housework, etc would get blood flowing. Getting old and having one's body wear out is depressing!!!
Speak for yourself, please. It's no day at the beach but it beats the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement