Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Who has moved, or is planning to move, to a very small house (say 1,000–1,200 SF or less, total) in retirement—as opposed to a condo, townhouse, mobile home, or CCRC?

Why, and where (what city/state)?

Part of a community of other small houses, or on its own somewhere?
I moved from a 2,300 sf house on 3 acres in rural north San Diego County to a 1,450 sf 1550 "rancher" in North Asheville, NC last year. I intentionaly bought a single story with minimal steps, not because I have a problem ambulating now (just turned 60), but seems realistic given the fact this may be my last house. When I moved here, I rented a condo while I looked for a house to buy. Before I moved to the condo, I had considered a condo or townhome as a viable option, but that quickly faded as I didn't like the proximity of neighbors, and it felt like the apartment I had in college. Initially, I thought I'd to the yard work at the house I purchased. Six months later (after buying all the requisite power equipment), I hired a gardener. That freed me to do the extra "fun" stuff, or none of it. I don't regret the "downsizing" at all. In fact, it's a relief. Especially when the utility bills come each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
[quote=Hamish Forbes;26232248One of the fundamental rights has always been the right to private property.[/quote]

Community associations, townhomes or condominiums aren't entirely "private property." It's clear to me you don't understand the difference between common elements condo owners agree to share when they make a purchase and move into a community and what people are entitled to do in their own homes (including condos and townhomes). Read more on the topic, drop the political posturing ... and life will be easier. Such communities aren't for anarchists.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
^^ Interesting thought process: you throw the notion of "democratic principals" (sic) into the discussion without reference to one of the most important tenets of American democracy, and yet accuse me of political posturing. When I cite the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution you implicitly accuse me of being an anarchist, of all things. Whatever you say, Comrade. Have a nice day

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 09-25-2012 at 04:51 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Community associations, townhomes or condominiums aren't entirely "private property." It's clear to me you don't understand the difference between common elements condo owners agree to share when they make a purchase and move into a community and what people are entitled to do in their own homes (including condos and townhomes). Read more on the topic, drop the political posturing ... and life will be easier. Such communities aren't for anarchists.
Just to be clear, HOAs are one form of community associations. For example, my community has an association, but not an HOA. Unless the association is an HOA, it has no enforceable rights.

More importantly, townhomes are simply a type of housing. Unless the townhome is also a condominium or is located in a community with an HOA, it most certainly is "entirely private property" and the owner can paint his home tangerine orange if he or she chooses.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Who has moved, or is planning to move, to a very small house (say 1,000–1,200 SF or less, total) in retirement—as opposed to a condo, townhouse, mobile home, or CCRC?

Why, and where (what city/state)?

Part of a community of other small houses, or on its own somewhere?
You may find this of interest: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...t-young-buyers

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
More importantly, townhomes are simply a type of housing. Unless the townhome is also a condominium or is located in a community with an HOA, it most certainly is "entirely private property" and the owner can paint his home tangerine orange if he or she chooses.
There are communities, cities and towns, where the town or city councils have adopted standards which specify what you may or may not do with the exterior of your property. In Tucson, where I once lived, only certain exterior colors were permitted. Certain types of "lawns" or landscaping were dictated or restricted, etc. Homeowners have the opportunity to participate in the development of the standards. Just like they do in a townhome or condominium association where, because you're a member and pay common area maintenance fees you have input.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, HOAs are one form of community associations. For example, my community has an association, but not an HOA. Unless the association is an HOA, it has no enforceable rights.

Communities can be "deed restricted" in the absence of a condo or HO association. For example - a deed restricted community might prohibit double wides and require you to build a house. But the deed restrictions can be more extensive than that:

What are Deed Restrictions?

Robyn

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Communities can be "deed restricted" in the absence of a condo or HO association. For example - a deed restricted community might prohibit double wides and require you to build a house. But the deed restrictions can be more extensive than that:

What are Deed Restrictions?

Robyn
You are of course, right. I realized this about an hour ago before I checked the replies. Duh.

I've never lived in any type of home that has a deed restriction but I've lived in townhomes (row houses) that do not. Memories of Real Property have emerged..."covenants", "runs with the land", etc. Ugh. LOL

Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 PM

18,724 posts, read 33,385,615 times
[quote=
I believe there is such a place off Rte 114, close to Rte 1 in Danvers MA. Sorry but I forget the name.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this was already answered, but it sounds like the Erickson community, Brooksby Village. I was just reading their literature today (got on the mailing list in my mid-50s, and wouldn't consider them for many years to come, but...)
Regarding downsizing, tiny houses, patio homes, etc., I consider car dependence and access to necessary things, plus with tiny/small houses, there are often zoning issues. If no zoning, you might be out in the boonies somewhere, where zoning issues might kick in. I love small houses (and yes, I think a lot of people on this discussion are single-person households!). But I do know that small houses are overall more per square foot than larger, up to a point. A furnace costs the same for a small house or a less-small house. Water tank. To a point, foundation/roof.
When I replaced my crumbling 700 sq.ft. cottage, zoning would not allow a small kit house (if prefab, had to be big, plus my driveway couldn't accommodate the cranes/trucks required for same). I couldn't build one story because of property lines at the time- would have loved a 2-bed, 2-bath ranch. So, I built a second story that I rarely use. Likely good for resale, but I basically live on the first floor like a great one-bedroom apartment in the woods.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
You are of course, right. I realized this about an hour ago before I checked the replies. Duh.

I've never lived in any type of home that has a deed restriction but I've lived in townhomes (row houses) that do not. Memories of Real Property have emerged..."covenants", "runs with the land", etc. Ugh. LOL
Covenants running with the land - I remember them well . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement