Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:31 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And I make a point of eating there every chance I get.
Whatever works for you.

I quit eating at Denny's years ago when I found out how they were treating customers of color. My conscience works for me.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Whatever works for you.

I quit eating at Denny's years ago when I found out how they were treating customers of color. My conscience works for me.
Being a "person of color" is not immoral or a sin. Homosexuality is.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Holymoly! You believe this?!?

Back to Chick-Fil-A.. I don't eat fast food and a discounted drink wouldn't reel me in but political stance (especially a discriminatory one) would most definitely deter me from ever eating there.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Whatever makes you feel good as a Christian. No reply needed.

On topic, seniors could always demonstrate outside CFA.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Sorry, I did not use the KKK example to inflame. I used it to illustrate in a most basic manner (not necessarily for you but for the less intelligent readers) that transparency alone does not deem a company (or person for that matter) worthy of respect. I did, in fact, answer your question.
I'm still not seeing it, but I'll use your chosen case.

Company A - openly supports the KKK
Company B - provides equal support to the KKK without disclosing same, subsequently revealed years later after you've given Company B your business over Company A.

As distasteful as it may be, who do you respect more?

I could care less about CFA, there wasn't one near me until recently. But evidently CFA would fall in your category A as they've been giving to anti-gay groups for years Chick-Fil-A Fast Food Chain Donated Nearly $2 Million To Anti-Gay Groups In 2009. You seem to think this info is so readily available, we disagree on that point. 'It's not what you know or what you don't know, it's what you don't know you don't know...'

The fact that CFA is closed on Sundays in today's world would seem to be a good indicator, though not proof of anything in itself.

My point was, I'm more worried about the Company B's that we all unknowingly support. YMMV

And like others here, I support a company's right to openly spend their political and charitable donations as they see fit, and every customers right to spend their hard earned money as they see fit.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:00 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We went to Chick-Fil-A yesterday and found out they no longer offer the "senior drink" discount. The manager said since they couldn't give the discount to everyone, they stopped the one for seniors. I asked him then why didn't they just give everyone a discount. He sputtered around and said they decided to use that money for marketing instead.

I'm sure they deleted the senior discount so they can make even more MONEY!!! That corporation already does very well.

Cheep, cheep, cheep! Does anyone else feel disappointed that a company would remove a discount for seniors, especially when most other fast food chain offers one. Taco Bell gives a FREE senior drink.

It's not that we need the money. The senior drink was the nice effort of the chain to in a very small way to honor seniors and encourage their business.
FYI: Wendy's still gives away free drinks to seniors!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:08 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Wendy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yes, I actually like Wendy's better than Chik-Fil A!! And they have some healthy choices, as well.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Like CFA, maybe...
Quote:
Business Description: Wendy's is an international chain of fast food restaurants founded by Dave Thomas in 1969 in Columbus, Ohio. The chain is known for its square ground beef hamburgers.
Discount: Most locations provide 10% off or a discounted drink price. Discount, age requirement, and participation may vary. Please call your local Wendy's for more information.

Age Requirement: 55+

Discount Restrictions: Not all restaurants may participate.
Quote:
Business Description: Chick-fil-A is one of the largest privately-held restaurant chains and the second-largest quick-service chicken restaurant chain in the nation, based on annual sales.

Discount: Each Chick-fil-A restaurant is independently owned and operated and the senior discount can vary by location. Most locations provide a free small drink or coffee with purchase or a 10% discount.

Age Requirement: 50+

Discount Restrictions: Participation, age requirement and discount amount can vary by location.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Company B - provides equal support to the KKK without disclosing same, subsequently revealed years later after you've given Company B your business over Company A.

Now I understand what you're saying. I can see where I could possibly choose Company B over Company A. Arguably, Company B knows its donations are perceived as odious by today's societal norms and attempts to hide its donations, whereby Company A is arrogant and doesn't give a rats ***. Your question rests on the premise that one or perhaps both are worthy of some degree of respect. But your premise is faulty, neither is. Not everything can be measured in degrees. For example, who do I respect more? The guy who killed his wife and children or the guy who killed 5 strangers? Neither is worthy of respect.

I could care less about CFA, there wasn't one near me until recently. But evidently CFA would fall in your category A as they've been giving to anti-gay groups for years Chick-Fil-A Fast Food Chain Donated Nearly $2 Million To Anti-Gay Groups In 2009. You seem to think this info is so readily available, we disagree on that point. It's not what you know or what you don't know, it's what you don't know you don't know...'
But you can't do anything about what you don't know. You can act on what you do know. My major beef is that it appears that private companies seem to be getting a hefty tax break by setting up 501(c) nonprofits to pursue their agenda. Chick-Fil-A appears to be one of those companies.

The fact that CFA is closed on Sundays in today's world would seem to be a good indicator, though not proof of anything in itself.

My point was, I'm more worried about the Company B's that we all unknowingly support. YMMV

And like others here, I support a company's right to openly spend their political and charitable donations as they see fit, and every customers right to spend their hard earned money as they see fit.
If our country ever gets to the point where boycotts are outlawed, I'd have to either flee the country or shoot myself.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM

May be a lost cause but
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora

Now I understand what you're saying. Evidently you still don't... I can see where I could possibly choose Company B over Company A. You have to be kidding, without question I'd have more respect for Company A for at least being upfront about their views, so each customer could consciously choose to support or "boycott" as you say. Arguably, Company B knows its donations are perceived as odious by today's societal norms and attempts to hide its donations most likely, whereby Company A is arrogant and doesn't give a rats ***. They seem to be arrogant only because you chose to use KKK support as the issue, an unfortunate choice as stated earlier. There are plenty of issues that companies can support that good, thoughtful people can legitimately disagree on - and as customers support or boycott those companies. Still think Company A is "arrogant?" I'd say they deserve more respect than Company B if only because they're being open and honest with anyone who's interested. Your question rests on the premise that one or perhaps both are worthy of some degree of respect. [But your premise is faulty, neither is. Nope, your decision to inject KKK into the discussion did. Not everything can be measured in degrees. For example, who do I respect more? The guy who killed his wife and children or the guy who killed 5 strangers? Neither is worthy of respect. Really, another extreme example that obfuscates the question? Choose any issue you believe good people can legitimately disagree on, then maybe you can understand.

And remember, you insisted we could usually find out what causes companies support politically whether they want us to or not. I don't think it's that easy at all.

(Again) My point was, I'm more worried about the Company B's that we all unknowingly support. YMMV

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement