Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking through something lately and haven't really firmed-up my own conclusions, but, thought I would throw it out for discussion.

In looking back on your life, what single circumstance, event and choice ultimately seems to have had the greatest impact of your life.

Circumstance: The lack of a father in the home and corresponding financial lack had a tremendous influence on my early life and available choices

Event: As a youngster, some neighbors made it their business to get my sister and I to a Baptist youth camp ... where I received Christ -- an event that has shaped my life since then.

Choice: We chose to move to Florida about 40-years ago (to get out of the snow and cold) ... and have never looked back, enjoying the sun and beaches ever since.

I've got a notion that these things may change as I put more thought into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Mine are rather solid.

Circumstance: depression, beginning in childhood
Event: divorce (after 23 yrs)
Choice: the person I chose to marry

Old 06-17-2012, 04:28 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Too many of all three to select from and mention. Let's just say that life has been an evolution and God's not finished with me yet.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:14 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Great question. The only amendment I would suggest is that people disregard marital choices (pro or con); otherwise, I think the responses will get repetitive.

Circumstance: Receiving a scholarship to college so that money/financing became a non-issue.

Event: Taking a corrections class taught by the retired Director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons. At the time, I really had no idea whatsoever what I wanted to do with my life. My professor arranged for me to get a paid internship at a federal prison for four months during my senior year; and then upon graduation the following June, I went back to work for them.

Choice: Nine years later, I chose to transfer from the Department of Justice to the Federal Judiciary in order to be able to stay in Washington, DC rather than continue relocating every few years. As a result, I was able to remain in the D.C. metro area for 25 years until my retirement two years ago. This choice also allowed me to build equity in my primary residences and to participate in the real estate boom in D.C. over those years.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
When I was 13 I was with my mother looking at furnture at a local furnture store. I saw a Magnavox stereo that I wanted badly. She knew the store manager from years of doing business. Basically he told me that it would take 13 dollars a month for a year to pay for it after figuring it up.With my mother's Ok ;I bought the stereo. I had a account in my name and I went monthly to pay the payments.That taught me alot of lessons on just what it took to get what you wanted in life ;it didn't come free like what parents bought. I had a paper route and took on a extra news stand sunday distribution job to go with it. I also determined to find a better paying job which I did shortly there after.From there I never was without a jobs until I retired.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,350 times
I turned down a full scholarship to Penn State and enlisted in the Marine Corps upon graduation from high school in 1968. The Flag was under fire and all that stuff. I got banged up a bit in Viet Nam, medi-vaced to Guam and spent six months there in the Navy hospital, 2.5 of that in a body cast. My spine was fractured in nine places. I was paralyzed on my left side, my leg was dead and i had limited use of my left arm/hand.

The physical therapy folks in the hospital used to get pissed at me because I left blood trails from my hands using the parallel bars. I spent 12 hours a day working on the bars. First you get blisters, then blood blisters, then they break and you bleed a little bit - I refused to accept the fact that I would be crippled for life.

I walked out of that hospital under my own power. The experience taught me a lot about life.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 06-17-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
Circumstance: Saw what would be happening in my chosen industry and decided to go back to school and get a graduate business degree.

Event: Took a job in Alaska, planning on only staying for about 2 years. Company moved main office to another city and we decided to move with the company. For us, it was a better environment for raising a family.

Choice: Later, I took a job with the state, which put me into a pension system with medical benefits. I've been able to become vested in the system and as the result of this choice, we'll be able to retire in a couple of years. If it weren't for this choice, I have no idea if we would ever have a secure retirement.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,806 times
Circumstance: Being born into the family that I was born into.

Event: Horse trekking Iceland - it changed my life!

Choice: Having the balls to retire from my university job at age 47, and become a very successful and happy stripper.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Something that seems evident is that the circumstances, events and choices that ultimately have the greatest influence on our lives .... are often not the ones we thought were the most significant at the time.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,904 times
Circumstance: Raised by an alcoholic.

Event: Obtaining my first degree.

Choice: Furthering my education, at age 45 securing my JD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement