Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Jan Sullivan scoots back on the brown suede couch, and her slippers dangle off the edge. At 4 feet 11, her toes don't quite touch the floor.

She stares at a blue plastic cup filled with unsweet Lipton perched on her lap. Her cheeks are flushed, her eyes bloodshot. Her lips quiver. She's 73, a hard, self-made woman, raised on corn farms and cattle ranches. She is not a crier. But these last seven months have tried her.

Black Friday ruckus, firing changes 73-year-old Walmart greeter's life - Tampa Bay Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Jan Sullivan scoots back on the brown suede couch, and her slippers dangle off the edge. At 4 feet 11, her toes don't quite touch the floor.

She stares at a blue plastic cup filled with unsweet Lipton perched on her lap. Her cheeks are flushed, her eyes bloodshot. Her lips quiver. She's 73, a hard, self-made woman, raised on corn farms and cattle ranches. She is not a crier. But these last seven months have tried her.

Black Friday ruckus, firing changes 73-year-old Walmart greeter's life - Tampa Bay Times
I have no sympathy for her. She apparently initiated two divorces. Her first husband was obviously a motivated and hard-working man. But she "felt like a ranch hand". When she got 50k she blew it instead of paying off her home or saving it.

Walmart didn't fire her for one incident when there wasn't even a customer complaint; there's more to that story.

She lives in a big city. Why hasn't she gotten another job? Yes, people seventy-three can get jobs.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
People get fired every day, young people, old people, people with families to support and mortgages to pay. It happens.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
The anti Walmart lobby at work.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM

137 posts, read 249,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no sympathy for her. She apparently initiated two divorces. Her first husband was obviously a motivated and hard-working man. But she "felt like a ranch hand". When she got 50k she blew it instead of paying off her home or saving it.

Walmart didn't fire her for one incident when there wasn't even a customer complaint; there's more to that story.

She lives in a big city. Why hasn't she gotten another job? Yes, people seventy-three can get jobs.

Unfortunately she touched a customer (pulled her sweater) to keep her from using the wrong exit.
That is a big no no...never touch a customer big liability issue. She fell, I am sure her weight played a role in the confrontation. She should have known better. I am sure WM provided some training before she got the "Greeter position". She is in a predicament and I have some compassion for her situation....but WM did what they had to do.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
A company doesn't fire a good, productive employee over an incident such as this. Not if she'd been with the company 22 years. There's more she hasn't told in her interview and the company will never say. The company was looking for a reason to let her go, and she handed it to them unknowingly. We'll never know what's at the core of her problems but I suspect she gave the company other reasons to let her go and they used this one because it was easier. That she has to work when she's in her 70s in order to make ends meet is the real story here. I hope I don't find myself in a similar position when I get there.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
A company doesn't fire a good, productive employee over an incident such as this. Not if she'd been with the company 22 years. There's more she hasn't told in her interview and the company will never say. The company was looking for a reason to let her go, and she handed it to them unknowingly. We'll never know what's at the core of her problems but I suspect she gave the company other reasons to let her go and they used this one because it was easier. That she has to work when she's in her 70s in order to make ends meet is the real story here. I hope I don't find myself in a similar position when I get there.
It's not easy to get fired from Walmart sometimes BUT if an employee does much of ANYTHING to botch up customer service they are 'on the line'. We had a greeter let go because she wouldn't let a customer have the last electric cart available...told her that SHE needed it. Well, she does weigh in at about 350 pounds so it was hard for her to get around but you just don't DO that to a customer. She had been there six years. We have several elderly greeters that I wonder how they can still be working, but they are. I started out at Walmart as a greeter and there are definitely guidelines but there's no real 'training' involved.

I am one of those who'll be working well into my 70s, or till I drop dead at my register...as long as my health and energy stay good. I wish it could be different but it isn't and I've accepted that. I hope you don't find yourself in a similar position as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement