Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
How important is this to you? I know we need balance in life, but weighing one side against the other, which is more important/beneficial to you?

For those that don't enjoy acting their age, I want to hear your methods, esp the silliest, (ok, so we talk doggy talk in our house and call the pups our "grandchildren".. push them in a stroller in crowded areas, and tell each other what they just said when they look at us with with certain looks ). I LOVE to play Marco Polo in the pool with our neighbor's children and see who can balance the longest standing on our foam paddleboards.

For the ones that prefer acting their age, (and I'm envious as I typically have to struggle to do this in social situations), does it embarrass you to see others your age not acting accordingly?
Since I have never had to be a warden, oh, I mean Parent, I have never felt the need to "grow up" at all. Therefore, I am extremely young at heart and live my life much the same I did as when I was 20 (minus the all-night drinking parties of my youthful indiscretions.

People always think I am much younger. Not because I don't look my age (because I do), but because I relate to people as though I was a much younger person. I refuse to be a grumpy old person. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I do not act my age when we listen to Led Zeppelin and The Who...I make an absolute fool out of myself...but never in public.
I call it having "a party". When I'm listening to my favorite DJ on the oldies station while I cook, I crank up the volume. I dance and twirl between the refrig, stove and sink, sing out loud, doing whatever dance steps fit the music as I chop and dice, and whatever.

I'm the only one there, (well, except the dogs and the spouse who look at me strangely) Otherwise, I don't have to worry about anyone else. It's my own personal party and I have the greatest time.

Music is a wonderful tool to loosen people up if they're left alone to be uninhibited, isn't it??!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Normally, in my public life, for the most part, I'm quite reserved, except when playing with children and pooches or behind closed doors in the company of good friends or if a really good song comes on anywhere anytime. I know, hard for some to believe, but never have I, in my over half century age other than on-the net found myself behaving age inappropriate till at a benefit event I attended a couple of weeks ago, a friend and I won a contest for best group name. We won floral condom leis, you would have thought we won lifetime theater tickets, the way I jumped out of my seat hootin and carrying with such abandon reaching for my price. I still can't believe how I hoped up so excited to have won. Not really my first embarrassing moment, but one that certainly had me questioning myself at that moment. There was that day in physical therapy, I looked up everyone was smiling at me, once again, I didn't realize I was rocking out loud along with the music on my ipod as I did my pt moves. when I realized it, the staff and other patients just said keep going, it was making things more lively for them.

But getting back to acting my age, not really sure of that descriptive either, just going with a bit of the one given, sure a few of those things don't apply at any age quite a few people. But generally I get along with people of all ages and am appropriate for the occasion. Do find some people in some instances go way over the line and don't know when to reel it in and those people I keep my distance from when their having their moments. On the Internet, I admit, I cross lines, but then, this is where I just can't help but let out my demon child.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Slamming or pogoing to punk tunes at a club at 2AM.

I'm not as old as some here but old enough to have been in a band doing Sex Pistols covers while the Sex Pistols were still in existence.

That part of me will never die until I die.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:29 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
So next year on my birthday I act differently? I act how I feel like acting.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
So next year on my birthday I act differently? I act how I feel like acting.
I can dig it.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,390 times
I was kind of wild when young (backpack/hitchhiked through Europe for a month with my best friend,Very spur of the moment) then I became a nurse, wife and mother. Time to be serious and dignified, set a "good example".
Now at 61 that daredevil wild girl is back.
I don't give a crap about acting my age. Inside I'm young.
I think I'm a pretty cool grammy. Going camping with 3 of my grandchildren this weekend.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As often as I can and whenever I wish. I have a rather dry wit and twisted sense of humor so I engage people in conversation and usually leave them laughing. Dignified and formal (read: stuffy) I'm not!
good for you! I only 'act my age' when absolutely necessary so as to not embarrass people I am with. Otherwise, I play as often as possible. The neighbors think I'm nuts because I run and jump and roll on the lawn with my dogs. But it is so much FUN!!! I also dance around madly, at least once a day. Maybe if older people played more and didn't act their age, they would get some exercise and feel better.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
In my mind I'm still a fun-loving teenager, cruising Main Street in a '57 Chevy and listening to the oldies. I hope I never grow up. And as far as how others view me: I could care less.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
To argue the other side for a moment, I'll admit that for all my ideals about being free to do whatever we want, I sometimes get embarrassed by my brother & sister in law's joint mid life crisis.

On the one hand, I totally support their right to do what they want. And yes, I admire them for feeling free to behave the way they do. On the other hand, they are trying desperately hard to hang out with their youngest daughter's high school friends and that means they dress like high school kids, talk like high school kids, and behave like they're in high school--and it doesn't come off well

The daughter is so mortified by this she never invites her friends over to the house anymore or even tells her parents where the parties are since they think they're part of the cool crowd if they crash the parties. At one party they stayed up all night trying to get people to play beer pong and the other kids ended up becoming the adults and telling them to go home.

The teenage wardrobe looks ok on him, I guess, but high school clothes look way too childish on her--it just looks wrong. It's one thing to wear unusual clothes because you like them, but another to wear kids' clothes because you're trying too hard to fit in with your daughter's friends. And please.... don't load every sentence with high school slang unless you're in high school. You just sound dopey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement