Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:17 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,808,197 times

Advertisements

When with your friends, acquaintances, what do you converse/talk/chat about? Each Poster on this Forum is Very helpful, has wisdom, kindness.

A person who told me she retired in her 50's, said the older women talked about their health and/or their
children, grandchildren, neither of which she could not relate.

While at a quilt show, attended the showing of antique quilts and discovered I was sitting next to the founder of the club. As I sometimes do, tried to ask her an opening question, to hear her story. After the presentation, someone can to talk to this delightful lady. The conversion was so interesting, enjoyed it so much, just sat and listened to the conversation-as much as I do/can talk myself !

So! What do you chat about ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Hobbies, jobs, kids, the weather. Clothes, prices/bargains, pets. Sports, movies, TV. Food, what's for Dinner, entertainment, trips/vacation. News, books, a little gossip. What should we do tonight. Pretty much the same stuff everyone talks about. I don't think retired people are different from everyone else. Maybe we talk more about having fun than work but that's OK with me!

As an older person I try to avoid droning on about my health. I also avoid complaining. Back in the 90's I went on a cruise and there were two older women who were constantly paired with us for dinner and excursions. There's a reason why old whiny people are lonely. All they did was discuss their ailments and complain. They never had anything good to say about anything. I made up my mind to NEVER become one of those people! I also stopped eating in the regular dining room and did my own excursions just to avoid them! Darn it, I was there to see things and have a good time.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Depends who I am with. Obviously, I can't talk about working in a strip club with most people. I am the most comfortable talking with former cops about that line of work. But when I am around 'normal' people, I'm generaly very cautious and try to find a common ground. That is difficult for me, being an atheist, having no kids, being vegetarian. So hopefully they garden, ride horses, travel, or know music.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Travel & vacations, restaurants, cooking, theatre, wine, sports, books, the weather, gardening, what's happening in our hustle-bustle little community ... the list is endless. If I'm the one who starts the conversation, it's never about health, children, grandchildren or pets.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
when i get together with the guys we used to talk about women. now we compare medications and things that hurt us along with food. ..

its pretty depressing when my fantasy of having two women has turned to having one to cook and one to clean lol.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Most of the retirees I know talk about their bowel movements a lot.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
when i'm with a strictly female group, the topics are often books, places we'd like to visit or possibly live, food and occasionaly recipes, some movies, though most wait until the movies are available on netflix , tv, pbs, or cable series such as "downtown abbey" and "mad men", and often politics, but only with certain groups does that happen. also with one particular group, most are fans of the pbs series that haven't been shown here in the u.s.- "luther", touch of frost","trial and retribution"; most brittish mysteries/suspense that you can get through netflix or on some of the pbs stations. on rarer occasions when i'm with a mixed group of men and women, the topics might be somewhat the same- not so much food or cable/pbs series,- but might extend to current events, state of the world, precarious economic times.
of course topics discussed reflects the friends that you associate with, their background and interests as well. i don't have children/grandchildren and the majority of the people i see on a fairly regular basis don't either, so that isn't a usual topic. sports is not a topic either since i'm not a fan and most people i see, not all, are not huge sports fans- the exception sometimes is sailing, but that is a major interest of many in the area where i live.

catsy girl

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
With the girls....former boyfriends, art, movies, books, our pets, gardening, farmers' market, positive heath subjects, former boyfriends, former boyfriends, the one who got away....

I avoid politics like the plague, as that can be friendship killer.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The same things i life i have always spoke about. Work was always a way of losing freinds and becoming unpopular.;because most people are not interested. hobies; people we know in common that we have talked to.hunting ;fishing ;about projects working on at home etc.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I find conversations are getting more and more shallow as I age. New friends aren't so likely to want to share their old selves with you and they want to (or need to) keep their histories private. I miss conversations that start with 'I' and go deep. No one I know, however, drones on about their health. It might get mentioned and acknowledged but I've no interest in anyone's gallbladder or lack thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement