Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
knowing the global costs are catching up everywhere in the world,
This is very true. The US becomes cheaper all the time in comparison to the rest of the world. If we can just get health care costs fixed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 03:21 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,372,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If I'm going to go thru all the effort of relocating for retirement in a foreign country, and wisely knowing the global costs are catching up everywhere in the world, it would be an idyllic climate I'd seek. And there had better not be any need, any day of the year, for use of A/C or a heater, and no insects! My ain't I the pickiest!!!

Check out Quito sometime on weatherunderground.com, I did! Yes, in the dept of winter, even straddling the Equator, it's that 9400 feet altitude that will do it! Yes, some chilly evenings in winter, down to the 30's! Cuenca, slightly lower in altitude, can't be much different at that altitude!

When I was fantasizing about ex-patting it there, I narrowed it down to Banos, Otavalo or Ibarra. No steamy-hot humid Guayaquil! Or coastal regions!

I would want my retirement years to have absolutely no chill and no sweat, no need to even own a blanket!
I agree. That's why I considered Cuenca. I have very good freinds living in Ensenada, Mexico, two blocks from beach in a lovely home with southern California weather. What are the perks.

Very close to US border for visiting, etc. Taxes on home about $150 a year. Utilities, very low. (Electric, water and garbage about $50 mo.)
Groceries, very cheap but beef sucks and is tough, Fruits, vegetables, poultry, fish, pork and eating out very cheap, landscaper $30 mo., Housekeeper once a week at $5.00 hr., labor very cheap, doctors and vets, $10 per visit. Internet $35, (have Direct TV - same as US) Phone local calls $13 month. (Cell phone rates were higher, but I think that has changed) Gasoline much cheaper (subsidized) Health insurance if you buy it, either very cheap for state run or very moderate cost for a private policy. Car insurance is very reasonable and home insurance is dirt cheap.

So, as long as you don't have to work for a living, it makes perfect sense for many people. I also know many people who have moved to other countries just because they had health problems and could not afford or could not get insurance here in US.

What cost more there. Electronics, good furniture, clothing, appliances.

Last edited by modhatter; 07-31-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
When I read messages like some in this thread - I wonder. Doesn't anyone have qualms about paying people really awful or near slave wages? It is one thing to move to another country because you can't afford health care here. Quite another IMO because you can't afford a gardener or a maid.

FWIW - this concept of getting help for cheap isn't unique to ex-pats. I know some people in California who do the same thing. They hire illegals "off the books" and pay them garbage. I have been an employer since I was in my 20's - and opened my own business. I would be embarrassed to treat any employee of mine like this. Robyn

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
When I read messages like some in this thread - I wonder. Doesn't anyone have qualms about paying people really awful or near slave wages? It is one thing to move to another country because you can't afford health care here. Quite another IMO because you can't afford a gardener or a maid.

FWIW - this concept of getting help for cheap isn't unique to ex-pats. I know some people in California who do the same thing. They hire illegals "off the books" and pay them garbage. I have been an employer since I was in my 20's - and opened my own business. I would be embarrassed to treat any employee of mine like this.
I completely agree, Robyn.

I see lots of behavior by Seniors which is downright shameful and--as you know-- I've been vocal about it for sometime.

Its one thing to earn your way in this world and have certain expectations which are on par with what you've saved and put away. Its another to engage in out and out exploitation of people. Moving to a Third World country (and abandoning your own) simply so that you can enjoy a "life of leisure" and be waited on hand and foot can only be described as shameful. If you don't have money to adequately support yourself, my suggestion to people is that they move to some of the states with a lower cost of living. If necessary, get a job as a "greeter" at Walmart. There is nothing shameful with doing any honest work. Live in a trailer home if you have too.

I don't know. Some days I think that, morally speaking, this country crossed the point of "no return" years ago. We have so many seniors that have been collecting social security, medicare, and even private pension benefits in excess of anything they've ever kicked into the system. The worst part is how many are in denial about it. "I earned it", they say. In reality, if its more than you put into the system plus interest than you didn't earn the portion that is in excess of that amount. If you fall into this boat, you could at least show your gratitude by not loudly demanding your right to a COL increase every year.

Do you wonder why there are so many upset young people today? Not that they have any monopoly on morality. However, if I was 25 and starting my career over again, I'd be MAD AS HELL at the way I seniors behaving. There was a time when older people tried to set a good example for younger people.

That day has long passed.

Last edited by markg91359; 07-31-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
One of the factors that doesn't seem to show up with future ex-pats, the long-term picture, of moving to a cheap country to retire is the falling fertility rates. And what does that translate to? Higher cost of living, higher wages, dependency on immigrants to do it cheaper.

Go peek at the current, projected fertility rates, starting with Mexico and going south to Chile. Is that a typo? a rate of 1.9, 2 children per family, in Brazil? Even Mexico's fertility rate of 2.2 is going to have an effect on everything, if you're thinking of retiring there. Down the road, we're talking! Enjoy that $40 a month maid while you have her!

The highest ferility rate, from the table I looked at, in South America is Bolivia at 3.3. And where will that excess population head to for work? Yup! Those lower fertility rate countries like Brazil, Argentina and Chile where they can make a little more money than going to Ecuador.

And the day will come Mexicans will head south, not North, where there's more money to be made. Or, with China's 1 child policy, they'll fly over to China for work, or Japan/Korea (each with their 1.2 fertility rates) only using L.A. as a transfer point to hop on a Chinese/Japanese/Korean airline!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The UAW virtually destroyed the American auto industry. They're the ones who drove the companies' health care costs into the sky. Thankfully, American trucks are magnificent and unequalled in any other country.

There are virtually no Ameican-made consumer electronics and haven't been for years.

I probably save more than two thousand per year on groceries alone shopping at Walmart. Amost all of that food comes from this country. Walmart doesn't have a policy of selling Chinese products. They have a policy of selling to their customers at the best prices possible.

You live right near the Mexican border. If you don't go to Mexico for prescription drugs, liquor, specialty foods, and a host of other products you must be the only soul in Cochise County who doesn't.

You want to make American businesss prosper? Work to lower corporate taxes; work to repeal minimum wage laws; work to get rid of OSHA; work to repeal the nightmare of other business taxes and regulations; work for Right to Work legislation; work to repeal Obamacare. Work to reduce government.

You want me to buy American? Show me value. I drive an American pickup; it's only ten years old. I own an American drill press made in the old days. I own an American view camera and have several American lenses for it, sadly, another relic of better days. Show me value if you want my money.

I remember thinking as a boy how lucky I was to have been born in this country. Those days are long gone, for me and for everyone else. Until just a few years ago we were at least a free people. Now the government treats those freedoms as a joke... and scarcely anyone cares.
Those who don't care about America have plenty of excuses

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Those who don't care about America have plenty of excuses
What excuses? Neither I nor any other rational individual care one bit about America or any other country. As Baron Rothschild said, "A merchant has no nation."

Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,277,272 times
Folks, let's stay on topic about why moving to a foreign country might be a good move for some retirees. Not the place for why you think America is doomed. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I completely agree, Robyn...
Apart from anything I think about the issues you raise (which aren't the subject of this thread) - being in places where there are only very rich people (who live in mansions behind barbed wire) and very poor people (who live in slums without indoor plumbing) and no middle class for the most part make me feel uncomfortable. I haven't been to many places like that. Just a few - like Costa Rica and Egypt. But I wasn't even comfortable traveling in places like that (especially when I had to deal with lots of beggars). And I'm sure I wouldn't be comfortable living in a place like that. I guess some people don't share my feelings. Robyn

Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Apart from anything I think about the issues you raise (which aren't the subject of this thread) - being in places where there are only very rich people (who live in mansions behind barbed wire) and very poor people (who live in slums without indoor plumbing) and no middle class for the most part make me feel uncomfortable. I haven't been to many places like that. Just a few - like Costa Rica and Egypt. But I wasn't even comfortable traveling in places like that (especially when I had to deal with lots of beggars). And I'm sure I wouldn't be comfortable living in a place like that. I guess some people don't share my feelings. Robyn
I certainly wouldn't care to live in an area of this sort no matter where it is. Areas like this aren't only aesthetically displeasing they're downright dangerous. I was fortunate enough to visit Egypt in 1965 when the Mideast was far less tense. It was the first place I had actually seen beggars other than a few panhandlers near skid rows. My impression of the beggars was that they were probably making a fair living with little or no real work. They did not tug on my heart strings. Besides, I was overwhelmed by the ancient grandeur of the place. I even made sure to take the train to Luxor and was hoping some dacoit or other minion Of Fu Manchu would show himself. The writings of Sax Romer have always appealed to me. I can't think of any writing set in Ecuador.

Begging today seems far more aggressive and the people doing it are obviously part of the criminal element so I'd want to live in a place where there is no tolerance of it.

If I offended you or anyone else with my previous post I apologize. I work for my money and get no special deals from the government; all they've ever done is take my money. Therefore, when I buy something I demand value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement