Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,198,115 times

Advertisements

I would be worried of the drug cartel south of the border. Just would not feel safe as an American living in a foreign country, especially those with no middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Typically, people don't move abroad in search of the "American Dream." The do so because they're running away from something at home. Expat living, abroad, is unsuccessful for most who try it ... I believe. The 'grass' is not always 'greener' on the 'other side'.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Typically, people don't move abroad in search of the "American Dream." The do so because they're running away from something at home. Expat living, abroad, is unsuccessful for most who try it ... I believe. The 'grass' is not always 'greener' on the 'other side'.
i sure see a lot of posts from expats that love where they are. in here and people i know on facebook. i don't think i could do it but it doesn't look like i could ever retire either.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
One additional problem with Ecuador is the Indians (40% of the population), I believe, speak Quecha, and you've got the Spanish-speaking population to contend with as well. Perhaps being Bi-lingual is not enough, you may need to go a step furthur and learn a little Quecha as well.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
I hope it works out for you. I'd like to move out to, but that just wouldn't work out with a family.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Healthcare for one. I had 3 'early retired friends' die last yr due to not having access to affordable healthcare in the USA.

Previously these friends had long-term jobs at fortune 100 companies.
I do not understand. If you have Medicare coverage, then you automatically have affordable health care by definition. Are you saying that these three friends died before they reached age 65? If that's the case, why did they retire so early?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Apart from anything I think about the issues you raise (which aren't the subject of this thread) - being in places where there are only very rich people (who live in mansions behind barbed wire) and very poor people (who live in slums without indoor plumbing) and no middle class for the most part make me feel uncomfortable. I haven't been to many places like that. Just a few - like Costa Rica and Egypt. But I wasn't even comfortable traveling in places like that (especially when I had to deal with lots of beggars). And I'm sure I wouldn't be comfortable living in a place like that. I guess some people don't share my feelings. Robyn
I do. People with principle do.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One additional problem with Ecuador is the Indians (40% of the population), I believe, speak Quecha, and you've got the Spanish-speaking population to contend with as well. Perhaps being Bi-lingual is not enough, you may need to go a step furthur and learn a little Quecha as well.
I would think. It is their country, after all.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM

197 posts, read 213,125 times
I don't think that I'd want to retire to another country. But I have spent a lot of time in the UK over the years and could certainly see staying there for 2-3 months. Spend more time at the museums and galleries rather than working. And taking in a few (maybe a dozen or so) plays. London theater (West End) is among the best in the world.

But living there permanently? No.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,817 times
I spent ten years living in over 12 different countries south of the U.S. . Some are good, some are great, and some not so good. Lots of misconceptions posted by those that have never been there to live or even visit. Prior to that lived, traveled and worked in 90 countries in Europe, the Middle East and Africa for 20 years.

To the OP. Do your own homework. Do not believe everything you read from those without first hand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement