Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Exercise comes in many ways- not just the gym type. I get tons of exercise around my home/property as well as walking the city lakes. Not boring at all - sitting around or even sitting at the computer tends to bore me much quicker. When I'm in shape I feel better - physically and mentally.
I walk around my property everyday with my dogs. But I do that to enjoy myself and because they like it.. It's the same when I'm in a museum or historic site or anyplace else. It's not to prove how big my muscles are compared to your muscles.

The poster who brought up the cult of the body isn't talking about normal activities. He's trying to make activities of no worth into something of a superior lifestyle. He wants to literally flex his muscles. It doesn't take any brains to do pushups; it does to digest a scholarly book. I prefer quality to quantity whether it's in food or in life expectancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,456,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was thinking about my mother who passed away three years ago at 92 and lived in her own home till the end (left the earth on her own property). She would not have been caught dead in "assisted living," any kind of CCRC, or nursing home...had said that all her life. She had things her own way. I'm wondering who else, if anyone, feels the same.
My inlaws would like that to be the case. Even tho they can afford assisted living.

They are 89 and 92. There's a huge fear/terror of "incarceration" (they are Jews and lost relatives to the deathcamps in Europe) ... even tho they have visited many an assisted living center (free lunches!) to check them out and have chosen a local one in the event they may need one.

Yet they resist visiting nursing services which would be waay cheaper as a stop-gap to any future problems.

It's more a problem with convincing them they will not be harmed.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,614,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
My inlaws would like that to be the case. Even tho they can afford assisted living.

They are 89 and 92. There's a huge fear/terror of "incarceration" (they are Jews and lost relatives to the deathcamps in Europe) ... even tho they have visited many an assisted living center (free lunches!) to check them out and have chosen a local one in the event they may need one.

Yet they resist visiting nursing services which would be waay cheaper as a stop-gap to any future problems.

Based upon many news stories I've read this is not a groundless fear. As I have no family I would be in terror of the thought of living in one unless I had found a trustworthy and prepaid attorney to keep a close eye and make sure that effective outbound communication were always available.

I would still have concerns about visiting services but it would be far easier to keep this situation under control.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,026,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

Maybe if they could find a place with many other Jewish people - a place that was specifically for Jewish people, run by Jewish people. Something that wouldn't give the impression of a camp. They are both at an age where this would be much safer for them. They should'nt have these worries at this time in their life.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 AM

915 posts, read 1,626,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
We don't always get what we want. My preference would be to go to bed and wake up dead. In my own home. Will that happen? I surely don't know. I do know I would prefer not to be in a protected environment that would keep me alive long after I am no longer useful.
probably want to not 'wake up dead'.....maybe 'not wake up alive'.....there is that zombie apocalypse thing that seems to be occurring with the waking up dead.............

Old 08-25-2012, 08:55 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I walk around my property everyday with my dogs. But I do that to enjoy myself and because they like it.. It's the same when I'm in a museum or historic site or anyplace else. It's not to prove how big my muscles are compared to your muscles.

The poster who brought up the cult of the body isn't talking about normal activities. He's trying to make activities of no worth into something of a superior lifestyle. He wants to literally flex his muscles. It doesn't take any brains to do pushups; it does to digest a scholarly book. I prefer quality to quantity whether it's in food or in life expectancy.

I hope you have a very large property if that is the only exercise you get. Don't want to hijack a thread about seniors staying in their homes, but physical activity is very important to "aging in place".

It's sad that you make so many assumptions about people that you don't know. Assuming that some one who finds exercise important doesn't read or is wasting their time.
I have started exercising on a very regular schedule late in life and have found it gives me so much more energy to enjoy the other interest in my life. To each his own.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,650,308 times
My mother lived in her own home and tended a garden even after the doctor replaced her hip and told her not to garden anymore. I think not following that doctor's instructions may be what killed her a week before her 85th birthday. A blood clot cut off circulation to her legs. She had fallen more than once. You just could not get her to stop doing what she wanted to do. That may be what let her live so long too. She had spirit.

My brother would check on her and we all invited her to live with us because we were worried about her, but she wanted to stay in her home and did. He went to her house the day she was hospitalized and looked through the windows on her door and saw her on the floor in the living room where she had fallen our of her favorite chair. He knocked the door down (she had about 4 locks on it) and got help for her. Upon checking, he found the eye on the stove still warm, so she had not been there long. We were all thankful for that.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,504,382 times
If/when ya gotta go do it at home. Have to move out and life goes downhill from there.

If/when it comes to that just shoot me whether it's tomorriow or 20 years from now.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
When I think about dying at home, I wonder a) how long it would take for someone to realize they hadn't heard from me, and b) how long my cats would wait to start feasting on my body.

I have a daughter, so the answer to the first is probably three or four days. My mother would probably take longer. Not sure about the cat part, though!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I think about dying at home, I wonder a) how long it would take for someone to realize they hadn't heard from me, and b) how long my cats would wait to start feasting on my body.

I have a daughter, so the answer to the first is probably three or four days. My mother would probably take longer. Not sure about the cat part, though!
In some cities and towns you can sign up through the police dept. for daily "check-up" calls. Apparently if they get no answer, they go over to your house. So that should cut the discovery time down to 1 day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement