Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 04:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its uncanny how it always works out that those who need to count on the income the most and need all the bang for the buck are the most gun shy and those who need the income the least get aggressive.
Because when you take a risk you "could" lose it. You don't gamble with money you cannot afford to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
While i do agree with you as i no longer like risk i dont have to take, the fact is there are investments that are lower risk and can generate more income.

There is a big difference between gambling and investing with a stratagy.

I know if i couldnt generate the income i needed i wouldnt hesitate to take it up a notch.

Heck the biggest risk could be doing nothing, a bank or cd is a guaranteed loss after inflation and taxes unless your in the lowest brackets.

Im not a fan though of taking more risk though then needed to insure our money lasts as long as we do.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
While i do agree with you as i no longer like risk i dont have to take, the fact is there are investments that are lower risk and can generate more income.

I know if i couldnt generate the income i needed i wouldnt hesitate to take it up a notch.

Heck the biggest risk could be doing nothing, a bank or cd is a guaranteed loss after inflation and taxes unless your in the lowest brackets.

Im not a fan though of taking more risk though then needed to insure our money lasts as long as we do.
Yes I agree. It's all about finding that "sweet spot". As you get older that sweet spot usually moves in the conservative direction.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM

The portfolio i have been following via newletter the last few years made the decision to become even more income oriented and for the first time ever in that model we hold no equities.

While i love the conservativeness of it the reality is it works for us in retirement because of other income sources.

I do question the model now for those without other sources of income because there is a good chance if they bought into the 4%swr theory they could get burned with not enough growth components.

More and more as i read the papers by wade d. pfau im beginning to understand why more and more the industry buzz word of planning around a 4% safe withdrawal rate is just not the way to do it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-02-2012 at 06:19 PM..

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:

It seems your position (POV) has shifted in the last few months (?) and I'm wondering why...what economic indicators (that haven't been with us for quite some time) have you much more averse to risk at this time?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
The portfolio i have been following via newletter the last few years made the decision to become even more income oriented and for the first time ever in that model we hold no equities.

While i love the conservativeness of it the reality is it works for us in retirement because of other income sources.

I do question the model now for those without other sources of income because there is a good chance if they bought into the 4%swr theory they could get burned with not enough growth components.

More and more as i read the papers by wade d. pfau im beginning to understand why more and more the industry buzz word of planning around a 4% safe withdrawal rate is just not the way to do it.
It would be imo more like a 2.5–3% WR, at the same time cutting back on outflow (expenditure) - a two-way direction.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Wade pfau is predicting about 1.80 from his models for anyone who retired from 2000 te

Old 09-04-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It seems your position (POV) has shifted in the last few months (?) and I'm wondering why...what economic indicators (that haven't been with us for quite some time) have you much more averse to risk at this time?
Im still the same but my newsletter has gotten more conservative. im fine with it as the numbers will still work for us.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:00 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be imo more like a 2.5–3% WR, at the same time cutting back on outflow (expenditure) - a two-way direction.
Imo, the 'withdrawal rate(s)' that float around the web finance areas are simply talking points and opins based on that writer's model, assumptions, parameters and crystal ball.

I am not suggesting that one needs to not be aware of their own WR, and not do some projections based on current port, finances and their own crystal ball. But, I don't get excited or go to the calc to do a 're-evaluation' when the next, 'new' report/ WR percentage waddles across the web.

Everyone has a slightly similar goal, but very different finances, expenditures, port size, type of port, etc.

Add in potential inheritance from still living older parent(s), guess about inflation, guess/project about future health and those costs, a rainy day fund, and the real unknown of how long any of us will be around...thus, the conventional wisdom 'WR %', or a new 'number', is for me simply another weatherman guess to fill some space in the 'finance' section of most media.
YMMV...
GL, mD

Old 09-04-2012, 01:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Im still the same but my newsletter has gotten more conservative. im fine with it as the numbers will still work for us.
So your investments refect your newletters and your statement often conflict with what your really doing. You where a growth investor at higher risk over lifetime not that long ago by your statements. Quite a change really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement