Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times

Advertisements

Logan, Utah

Logan, Utah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cedar City, UT

Cedar City | Utah.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:20 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Bangor, Maine?
1- outside of a larger metro area.

There is a selection of small towns in a 30 mile radius of Bangor.

2- There is a college or university close by.

Check.

3- The mainstreet in my town is quaint and has alot of trees that turn red in Fall.

We do have fall colours.

4- (some) Houses are pretty inexpensive (140-160) and the lots are small.

There are towns with homes prices running that high, if that is truly a need.

5- a historical preservation society and active rehabbing goes on.

check.

6- a nearby dog park and a great big library closeby.

Not that many dog parks as such, because the culture more encourages going for walks with your dog. Instead of taking them to a park.

7- Property taxes are low.

check.

8- It rains about 39 inches a year and snows a little in winter.

While much of the nation is drought-prone, this region is not. Everything is green all summer long. We tend to get rain once/week all summer long.

Snow; we are North of the snow-belt that gets dumped on cities East of the Great Lakes. So that avoids this area. Where I am gets 4 to 6 inches once a week through the winter. Other local micro-climates get more, others get less. I am retired so there is never anywhere I must go to, so who cares if I stay home on the day of a snow shower.

9- You can plant a garden and it will grow, cause the soil is good.

People are encouraged to sell their home veggies at market. I do. Not everyone gardens, but those of us who do often support Farmer's Markets as vendors. I sell veggies to a Buyer's Club located at a nearby University, through those people I am getting more involved with other groups at the University.

10- People are friendly, welcoming and there are clubs to join for seniors.

check.

I think it generally meets the requirements, I stated the minor exceptions. I would add: low crime, and low Cost-Of-Living.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:05 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
As a previous poster noted, definitely check out Greenville, SC, in particular the small towns surrounding it. Meets all your requirements.

Look into Greenville itself or the towns of Fountain Inn, Travelers Rest, Easley, Greer, etc. around it. Take out a map and just circle Greenville and 10 miles around it.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I love Salem, VA, just outside Roanoke. Really nice little college town away from the fray but easy to get into Roanoke where the climate/weather is nice, city not too big, in beautiful part of the state. Nice downtown. College, public library, some nice pubs, natural foods store, shops on Main St. Roanoke has a great farmers market and downtown activities. It was on my top 10 before I decided not to relocate.

City of Salem Virginia, Official Government Web Site

Virginia Salem Roanoke College Entrance Higher Education Graduation Day Family Stock Image - World of Stock

Salem library Salem, VA Public Library > Home
Panoramio - Photo of Salem Public Library

Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
1- outside of a larger metro area.

There is a selection of small towns in a 30 mile radius of Bangor.

2- There is a college or university close by.

Check.

3- The mainstreet in my town is quaint and has alot of trees that turn red in Fall.

We do have fall colours.

4- (some) Houses are pretty inexpensive (140-160) and the lots are small.

There are towns with homes prices running that high, if that is truly a need.

5- a historical preservation society and active rehabbing goes on.

check.

6- a nearby dog park and a great big library closeby.

Not that many dog parks as such, because the culture more encourages going for walks with your dog. Instead of taking them to a park.

7- Property taxes are low.

check.

8- It rains about 39 inches a year and snows a little in winter.

While much of the nation is drought-prone, this region is not. Everything is green all summer long. We tend to get rain once/week all summer long.

Snow; we are North of the snow-belt that gets dumped on cities East of the Great Lakes. So that avoids this area. Where I am gets 4 to 6 inches once a week through the winter. Other local micro-climates get more, others get less. I am retired so there is never anywhere I must go to, so who cares if I stay home on the day of a snow shower.

9- You can plant a garden and it will grow, cause the soil is good.

People are encouraged to sell their home veggies at market. I do. Not everyone gardens, but those of us who do often support Farmer's Markets as vendors. I sell veggies to a Buyer's Club located at a nearby University, through those people I am getting more involved with other groups at the University.

10- People are friendly, welcoming and there are clubs to join for seniors.

check.

I think it generally meets the requirements, I stated the minor exceptions. I would add: low crime, and low Cost-Of-Living.

now I think I may want to move there!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
now I think I may want to move there!
Bangor is definitely a great choice, among my top 10. Someone coming from the West Coast may experience culture and climate shock to some degree, but just moving East in general can cause that. (not to mean this kind of culture shock is not good!)

Old 09-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
As a previous poster noted, definitely check out Greenville, SC, in particular the small towns surrounding it. Meets all your requirements.
HOT and humid as you know what in the summer months. But she might like that.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:12 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
OH NO !! I hate hot and humid in the summer, but I do know I can't have everything. Greenville is looking good so far. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions which I am researching furiously.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Greenville SC- No, not hotter than H----. In the foothills of the mountains. Has a four season climate. Autumn , spring and summer, virtually identical to CT, RI & MA. Yes, warm for ten weeks in the summer, but no hotter or more humid than inland CT or RI or MA in the same period. Winter, an average or 5- 6 inches of snow or less. Many years no snow.

Now if you went to Columbia, SC an hour away you would be dealing with three months of 100 degree heat and humidity. But not in the Greenville area. This year was an aberration where it was hotter everywhere than ever before. So we're talking the average year.

Greenville is not perfect California coastal climate but for the East coast it's very pleasant.

Today it's 72 in Greenville, 69 in Hartford and Providence., 81 in Columbia SC

Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OH NO !! I hate hot and humid in the summer, but I do know I can't have everything. ....
Better stick with Camas (or PNW) You CAN have EVERYTHING PNW has many climates and EZ access to adventure and cities and travel (international). If Camas doesn't work... Try Bellingham / Fairhaven / Ferndale / Blaine / Lynden (near BC). Also Sequim, Port Townsend, Poulsbo, and Friday Harbor. (Maybe you can be a 'caretaker' on an island... I have a friend that does that, and only has 'the boss' to deal with once every few yrs. Was (is ) really quite a great arrangment in retirement.

I don't do Hot and Humid either, I don't go east of Missouri River from end of May to first of Sept. Just one of my 'Rules'. BTDT

Thailand will be a stretch (I probably need to move there for medical) I will be near the coast or on an island where there is some sea breeze (and typhoons...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement