Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I don't think a Ferrari should cost so much, but that's the way things are.

Your mother is being charged $167/day for room, board, and round-the-clock care. How much do you think that should cost?

LOL

And just how did I insult you? By suggesting that your mother should be responsible for paying for her own care rather than leaving "her resources" to you as an inheritance?

Sorry if that offended you.

(Actually, no, I'm not.)
You, sir, are a bully. You have absolutely no right to make assumptions for me, for my inlaws, for my spouse.

Go sit on a rusty nail....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Biggest issues facing seniors?
This short but hilarious video by a doctor names many of them:

Doctor seeking Illinois Senate seat offers brutal diagnosis of ObamaCare - YouTube

Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Biggest issues facing seniors?
This short but hilarious video by a doctor names many of them:

Doctor seeking Illinois Senate seat offers brutal diagnosis of ObamaCare - YouTube
She'd get my vote. If she wins and can keep up that performance she should think about the governor's race. Illinois can only survive if taxes are lowered and she'd do it. Look at her website. She's both a lawyer and a doctor; that's what I call very high powered.

Barbara Bellar, Candidate for Illinois State Senate, District 18 | Elect Barbara Bellar

Old 10-22-2016, 05:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
I am going on seventy-nine. I need elbow canes to walk and have four stents in my heart, and I most certainly feel old in regard to my physical self. Mentally I am almost as acute as I was at the beginning of my seventies, and intellectually I don't seem to have suffered any erosion at all. I have enjoyed much of my life and the opportunities it presented, and I have seen a large number of things that make life enjoyable disappear. That's the way life works, though we are acculturated to live in constant denial of this, but I accept this this is the way life is.

I emigrated permanently from the U.S. a decade and a half ago. I have no interest in returning there, and feel no connection to that country. I doubt that my U.S. Social Security or U.S. based private pension will vanish before I die, so I am not worried about them. I leave the rest to those who live in the United States and whose lives will be long enough to be concerned with this or that issue.

My only deep concern are the circumstances of my own final illness and care. There is an organization that provides home hospice care for foreigners and there are affordable nursing services as well. I am not adverse to terminating my life if faced with a medical diagnosis and prognosis that I do not wish to deal with, and have already provided myself with the means to accomplish this efficiently.

The issues that concern me are focused on the community in which I presently live. As I live very frugally (by choice) I can annually give several thousand euros to three charities with which I am very familiar. I feel very grateful to have been able to live in this country, and have enjoyed living among the people of my town. When I die two thrids of my estate will go to these charities, and the remainder will go to the two individuals who have provided the most support, both physical and emotional, in times of illness.

Beyond my personal welfare and providing a positive benefit to my town, I have no issues. That time is over.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
I guess I can say that I'm "concerned" -- or at least keeping an eye-and-ear on the interwoven issues of the economy, healthcare, and domestic politics (as regarding policies that affect those first two.) I'm a late wave baby-bommer. So I do have concerns about older boomers draining services and funding for those services before I reach their older age. (And the world's geo-political situation is what it is. Always is isn't?)

Then again I think of how mom elderly aunt and mom -- who died at age 94 and 89 in 2006 and 2014, and worked -- one until 80m the other a retired teacher who retired early at 58 -- but substitute taught until age 80…and they didn't have a LOT of money -- but between their savings and Soc Sec., one had a pension, -----they both had more than enough money to have the retirements they wanted, and had good healthcare.

So I guess….at 56 -- I just need our current system to sustain itself for another….40 years max?

I'm voting for politicians I THINK will be best for my future. What else can I do?
Save of myself, plan for myself, vote the best I can…and pray.
(I'm open to shared housing in late, late retirement, a CCRC, various financial strategies, etc)
We'll just have to see what happens….

Old 10-22-2016, 06:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
The continuing devaluation of the dollar, AKA inflation. My income is fixed and the government denies there is inflation, yet the prices in the stores and at the gas pump continue to rise.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
It has never occurred to me to try to vote mostly for my own self-interests or my own future or the interests of mostly just my own age group.

I have always voted for what I think is the greatest public good and what I think is in the best interests of my country nationally and internationally. (and whatever state I have lived in)

Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
This following link hits dead-center of this thread. Articles like this are out there, but don't get the attention they deserve.

Social Security: Bring on the hard questions - Orlando Sentinel

Hope this discussion gets broader, thoughtful attention- it affects every person in the nation whether we like it or not.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
I think it's important to vote for the interests of our generation. No one else is going to look out for us; we are a cash cow with our enormous numbers and aging needs. The next generation, our kids' (if we have any) is coming right up behind us and so when we vote for our own interests we vote for theirs too. Elders and their needs are not seen. We may have to kick and scream, or at least hold a few WH demonstrations.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:52 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
What would be some examples of "voting for the interests of our generation"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement