Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

IYO, without getting into politics what are the biggest issues aging retirees and seniors 65+ face as a group/generation in the next few years? Are you worried about, or somehow just concerned about these issues alone? Who else shares your views? Do you know of others who would want to join a discussion group with you?

Where does "concern" become necessary (if at all) to be an activist in some way? I ask this last question because the boomers are one of the most known generations for activism, but that does not necessarily mean sitting down on a sidewalk with a sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Where to even start? Personally, I am not facing any "issues" at age 68. My life is just fine, my fianances are just fine, I can still jog for twenty minutes or walk fast uphill for 90 minutes, and I have plenty of interesting things to keep me occupied. "As a group/generation" we are too varied to face "issues" together. In so many threads over the past two or three years (and certainly before my arrival here too) posters have analyzed, dissected, discussed, quoted experts, argued, given examples of their own situations and that of others whom they know. I am not so stupid as to think that my own situation is necessarily representative, although it is not rare. Some sub-sets of the over 65 population will face these "issues":

1. Worry about the future of Medicare and Social Security, if they do not have the financial cushion to pay higher Medicare premiums or if they depend heavily on Social Security.

2. Worry that the value of their homes has fallen since 2007, if they have been counting heavily on that equity for retirement purposes.

3. Declining physical abilities, especially for those who do not engage in regular exercise, including balance moves such as can be found in yoga.

4. Loneliness as close friends, relatives, and spouses die off. (This will probably hit me to some extent at some point).

Now I'm not sure what "activism" in the traditional political sense can be expected to do about these problems, especially inasmuch as the younger generations are between a rock and a hard place with their own financial situations and cannot afford to continue to support us in the manner in which we are accustomed. Activism in a personal sense, however, will become necessary to deal with these issues. Some of us will have to actively become more frugal, to actively take responsibility for our own well-being, etc. etc.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
one of the biggest facing many is the student loans their children may not be able to pay back with the lack of well paying jobs for those degrees.

those unexpected costs can de-rail a retirement budget in a heartbeat.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
The issue of declining healthcare in the United States. And the lack of moral courage for our society to address the issues of the deficiencies in long term care. Medical management or rather, lack of, in chronic illnesses and terminal illnesses.

These are issues that will impact our seniors, even those with comfortable finances.

The ones without good finances, the issues of lack of money to purchase medication. And hearing aids, visual aids...because those things are not covered by Medicare. Where to turn when you cant take care of yourself and have no money for assisted living.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
The topic of this thread is huge and all-encompassing; already we've had two excellent additions to the thoughts which occurred to me in post #2. As for the future of medical care, it seems to me the "moral courage" will be required to address the enormous expense of providing herioc end-of-life care. We, as a society, will need to ask ourselves if it is worth it to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to extend the life of one already elderly individual for another month or two. The emotionally overwrought term "death panels" will continue to be trotted out, and what a shame. Emotionalism trumps rational thinking for way too many people.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Divorce among seniors is another big issue.

Expensive health issues, bailing out family and friends and the inability to work part time as many felt they would have an option to if needed can be problems.

Many seniors today will fall victim to the above and this is the main reason spending down principal to far can be a recipe for disaster

Old 09-30-2012, 01:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
Declining resources of all sorts, physical, mental, financial etc etc. Up against increasingly complex challenges. Will each of us face a tipping point and if so how will we handle it or how will it be handled for us.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
The cost of assisted living. The cost of long term health insurance.

My inlaws paid $200 a month EACH for 10 years.... and were just admitted to a care center. After 90 days (which means they pay for the first three months) - the insurance will pick up the tab for 2.5 years.

at $7500 a month - for both of them.

How many of us are prepared to pay that?

My mother is in a nursing home - depleting her resources. $5000 a month.

My sister's MIL is also in a nursing home - depleting HER resources. $6000 a month.

There will need to be different options - other than ending up on the street.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I find it interesting that the seniors I work with are not the ones outraged about "death panels". They actually see it as more progressive. These are the "oldest old" over age 90. They don't even want flu shots. One senior told me the other day he wants to catch pneumonia. He is not depressed or suicidal. He is a functional, cognitive adult, who has out lived many of his peers and family. He is ready to go. At age 95....who should argue with him?

Old 09-30-2012, 02:04 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I find it interesting that the seniors I work with are not the ones outraged about "death panels". They actually see it as more progressive. These are the "oldest old" over age 90. They don't even want flu shots. One senior told me the other day he wants to catch pneumonia. He is not depressed or suicidal. He is a functional, cognitive adult, who has out lived many of his peers and family. He is ready to go. At age 95....who should argue with him?
This is my mother. Age 92. Her life in a nursing home is not a life. She's not ambulatory - she lays in bed most of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement