Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:31 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,065,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
to move away when they retire. leave eveything they know. why didn't they move when they were younger. i guss i do not get it

People's personal situations are unique and there is no one answer to your question. It is all relative, and is a personal decision based on many factors.

Many who choose to live alone are not lonely....it is much worse to live with someone and be lonely.

You will make your choices based on your personal situation, finances, etc., as we will all do.

I do not question other's decisions because I am not them and can only make those determinations for myself.

Best of luck in the choices you make!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 05:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,238,461 times
Renamed thread title to better match the issue discussed.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 PM

262 posts, read 524,425 times
I think Tek did a good job of naming his and our reasons. Of course everyones situation is different but we are going from Washington state to east Tenn. Property taxes are 1/5th. Real estate is 40% cheaper. Winter here is a month too long on each end. In this era of course family is all over the nation, not like the old days when everyone stayed within a half days drive. We are excited and looking forward to our next adventure. Of course we realize this big upheaval is not something that everyone wants to do. I think that the big 3 traumas in life are divorce, new job and new house. Tenn look out here we come!

Old 10-16-2007, 05:06 AM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times
My career field required that I move every three years, or so. During that period of time, we have lived East coast, West coast, and over-seas. At my last two locations I was the oldest man there, all of my 'work-mates' were younger. While we have made many 'friends' during the years and we have come to like each of the locations where we lived, none of them were 'home'.

So as we prepared to retire, we were living in Italy and we really had to consider carefully where we wanted to retire to.

We had no desire to remain in Italy. We considered each area where we had lived before, but all of the folks we had known had all moved likewise. Everyone that we knew, were work related, so they have all moved when their turns came. For us to return to any of those locations, we would not know anyone.

We considered staying over-seas, and there are benefits to doing that.

We once had owned an apartment building in Northern Scotland, we would have loved to retire there. But we should have kept the property there, rather than sold it when we did.

So we made our decision to move based on: local climate, local taxes, economy, the availability of medical facilities and colleges for our teenagers.

We moved to Maine.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,268,113 times
"why didn't they move when they were younger. i guss i do not get it" As said before in this thread, it is a very personal decision. Why not move when younger, that's easy - I have a well paying job in a place that is all right, but not on my list of places where I most want to live. My first choices wouldn't have paid as well or maybe at all and I wouldn't be having as comfortable or early retirement as is coming up soon. When building a career, a lot of people make sacrifices or compromises to achieve a goal. When I retire, for the first time in my life, I will be able to live where I want simply because I want to. There is no concern about anyone else's desires or choosing a career path and paycheck over a place. To me, it is complete freedom. So the better question is why stay? In our very mobile society, friends come and go in an area. I assume that I will make new friends when I move. I always have before, so why not in retirement?

Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,362,368 times
Mostly health and escape from high taxes.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

335 posts, read 1,209,488 times
Default heres waht I think

I always find it a bit discouraging when people put off their lives for making more money then when they retire they move to where they really want to be. We made the move young, and sure there are money sacrifices but you know what they say about it is all not money> and as for children I have 5 and they are fine not living in an expensive area, I think it is actually better for them and for us. You will always find a way so for some of you who are younger you may just want to try and find your area young and settle in and raise your kids there. Then you don';t have to leave,,,,,,your already there!!!!!

Cheers

Old 10-16-2007, 04:11 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,427,167 times
There are many fields of employment that simply aren't available everywhere. It's not that people are ruining their lives for a high-end style of living- it's that there simply are NO jobs in many areas, or, in the case of many lovely places, the jobs that are there can't begin to support a reasonable adult life or home ownership or a decent rental.
I found this out when I moved (true, in my 30s) to Santa Fe, NM, and Bath, Maine, from my chosen spot of Cambridge. There simply weren't any jobs. In fact, I left Maine and came down to Boston to get my RN with the plan to move back to Maine, and never did so.
Also, a whole lot of places are wonderful on vacation and visiting and all. Living there, there might be all sorts of issues that you don't have when you're not working and having daily life there.
I do think a lot of people have to wait to retirement to live in some places (or two places) because that's the only time they'll HAVE enough money to live in those places.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM

37,491 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
I always find it a bit discouraging when people put off their lives for making more money then when they retire they move to where they really want to be.
In some career fields such is not possible.

In my career, my employer moved me around every three - four years.

For many fields you are rather stuck with a limited number of employers.

I may not have been able to move where I wanted to until I retired, but at least I got my pension and retired at 42 years old.

When you choose your career field, you choose your fate.

A higher-paying career with lots of travel, solid benefits and a 20-year pension; does absorb a big portion of your youth. But at least a person can walk away from it and enjoy themselves in retirement, while they still have a few years let on their bodies.

A lower-paying career where you stay with it for 40 years hoping for a pension, is, well, it makes really old retirees.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,683,291 times
I lived here to get a quality education, have a nice career with decent compensation for my time and effort, raise my family in a safe, friendly, middle class environment filled with decent hard-working people with values I believe in, and to be near my parents as they aged. My parents have now moved to Florida and my child rearing days are drawing to an end. I'm looking forward to retiring and living in a place that's sunny and warm most of the year. I hate winter and have endured enough of them to last me for the rest of my life. I sacrificed a lot to do what was right for my family, so why not move to a place with a climate that I would enjoy and that would improve my quality of life after I retire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement