Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you are willing to go to a lesser known spot and 'stay / live local', you will cut these extravagant (under $1000) destinations.
I am not sure that the man is living on $1000 a month but Rollins Brooks has been document the last 10-12 years of his retirement in Torreon,

My Life in Mexico

Warning: you can spend HOURS on this website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
I feel there are plenty of <$1000 / month retirement living options in USA also. (Excluding healthcare / owning a 'newer' car)
There are still some homes renting for under $500 / month in rural areas (but then you MUST have a car).

Gardening or gleaning and being creative about NOT spending will govern your level of success.

Basically my spending =

$100 food
$100 entertainment and clothes / supplies.

$100 utilities
$50 house insurance
$500 House payment / rent (that can be dropped in 1/2 or excluded if you own outright)

$30 car insurance
$10 car maint
Fuel = Free (veggie oil)

$80 - $100 for reasonable property taxes (mine are not reasonable)

Just don't get SICK!.

So I can live for ~$1000/ month in USA

BUT healthcare INSURANCE alone is $1300 EXTRA, and my current property tax is $1100 So I spend $2400 BEFORE living on a meager $1000

Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My point was simply to state that some cities are more expensive than other cities.
And this came as a revelation to you? Really?

Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
I feel there are plenty of <$1000 / month retirement living options in USA also. (Excluding healthcare / owning a 'newer' car)
There are still some homes renting for under $500 / month in rural areas (but then you MUST have a car).

Gardening or gleaning and being creative about NOT spending will govern your level of success.

Basically my spending =

$100 food

$100 utilities
$50 house insurance
$500 House payment / rent (that can be dropped in 1/2 or excluded if you own outright)

$30 car insurance
$10 car maint
Fuel = Free (veggie oil)

Just don't get SICK!.

BUT healthcare INSURANCE alone is $1300 EXTRA, and my current property tax is $1100 So I spend $2400 BEFORE living on a meager $1000
but you are leaving almost no money for unexpected home repairs, $100 for entertainment and cloths, come on. Yes, it can be done, but you haven't even figured gas and $100 for food is at the bottom. I can easily see living on $1500 a month,but $1000 that is really pushing it.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This critical question is what I've been asking over and over on CD....for myself and others. Boy it would be wretched to be far, far away from family members at the end-stage of life (unless you didn't like your family to begin with). Many have the resources to move back (or be moved back), while many do not. Our adult kids and growing grandkids have very busy lives and little time off (with which they want to vacation, understandably, not visit us old geezers 1500 mi away.) The cost of air travel and hotels if needed is not cheap. If I had the resources and wanted to spend time in say FLA or CA, I would get a time share there and continue living close to family.
Don't ever buy a time share! Not even for zero (will wind up costing you more than it's worth). Robyn

Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times
Quote:
...Just don't get SICK!...
So how does one avoid that until the end of one's days? Inquiring minds want to know . Robyn

Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but you are leaving almost no money for unexpected home repairs, $100 for entertainment and cloths, come on. Yes, it can be done, but you haven't even figured gas and $100 for food is at the bottom. I can easily see living on $1500 a month,but $1000 that is really pushing it.
I would say we EACH have very different spending habits... I VOLUNTEER usher for entertainment, I have not spent $100 on clothes in the last 5 yrs. No need for 'house repair' set asides, as I assume retiree would have the 2yr living expenses / emergency fund, as well as house paid off,, if not... I have built all my own houses and can't thnk of a repair that would tax my savings... I can do roofs, siding, windows... I do that all the time on my rentals. GAS that stuff is EXPOSIVE! as mentioned, I drive a 50 mph car that burns (free) waste cooking oil, or heating oil, or discarded jet fuel...
Always fed my family on $100 / month.. been using the 'envelope' method for yrs. Run out of money... open the freezer or pantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So how does one avoid that until the end of one's days? Inquiring minds want to know . Robyn
That too is subjective, BUT is actually very VOLUNTARY (your choice of care). I lost 3 friends the last yr who were uninsured / self insured and just made the choice to die rather than spend a pile of dough extending their presence. A 99 yr old friend just passed away this month. She had been told at 88 she needed immediate surgery, and she chose to 'wait it out'. (worked for 11 yrs...) Another friend age 95 was told same 20 yrs ago.. Not all proceedures are REQUIRED, or even DESIRED.

Since I am still well under Medicare age, I will go to Asia if I need major treatment (~$800 flight + medical costs ~ 1/10th USA). Currently I am there every month anyway. For something really serious I will wait it out.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times
Quote:
That too is subjective, BUT is actually very VOLUNTARY (your choice of care). I lost 3 friends the last yr who were uninsured / self insured and just made the choice to die rather than spend a pile of dough extending their presence. A 99 yr old friend just passed away this month. She had been told at 88 she needed immediate surgery, and she chose to 'wait it out'. (worked for 11 yrs...) Another friend age 95 was told same 20 yrs ago.. Not all proceedures are REQUIRED, or even DESIRED.

Since I am still well under Medicare age, I will go to Asia if I need major treatment (~$800 flight + medical costs ~ 1/10th USA). Currently I am there every month anyway. For something really serious I will wait it out.

I agree with you ... to a point. Some people do anything to extend life at ALL costs. Medicine has progressed to the point where they can keep you alive long past when they should. Personally, I am afraid that they'll keep me on a machine ... my first tattoo will be a "DNR" across my chest.

The only problem with the Asia strategy is that all emergencies don't wait for a 20 hour flight.

I am surprised that you don't have a mutual insurance plan ...

Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM

239 posts, read 520,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We live on a little less than $1,000 a month (not including medical). We spend more than StealthRabbit on food, but less on entertainment and clothes. We have an old, very reliable truck that we spend next to nothing to maintain and drive very little. We do have an auto fund and a house fund for emergencies, but so far haven't needed to use either. We live in one of the most expensive areas in the country...Santa Cruz county, California. So, I can easily see how StealthRabbit manages on $1,000 a month. I love that he uses cooking oil as fuel for his car.

Our medical expenses are another approx. $1,000 per month. I'm hoping it will be less once we reach Medicare age.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM

239 posts, read 520,817 times
Quote:

Basically my spending =

$100 food

$100 utilities
$50 house insurance

$30 car insurance
$10 car maint
Fuel = Free (veggie oil)

Just don't get SICK!.

How do you spend only $100 per month on food? I'm always looking for ways to cut back, so I'm curious how you do it. I cook and bake from scratch, stock up when there are sales, etc., but have never had that low of a food bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement