Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM

26 posts, read 72,870 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about retirement and wonder what it will cost my wife and I to be retired and live a comfortable lifestyle. Now exactly what is comfortable is up to the person and the city they live in.

I will go first and say we (wife and I) figured we could live comfortably for about $3500 a month in a regular town down south.

What is your retirement spending budget or how much do you expect to spend per month in 2013 dollars once you retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Going to try to keep it below $3,000 in order to have some for savings and travel in the US in our camping trailer.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,513 times
Forgot to mention we'll be in a very small town down south within 45 minutes of large(r) cities.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Forgot to mention we'll be in a very small town down south within 45 minutes of large(r) cities.
Forty five minutes each way is a long way to drive to get to things like shopping - medical care - etc. - etc. Robyn

Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
We've been retired almost 5-years and live very comfortably in a small Florida 'tourist' town. We easily spend more than the $3500 per month you referenced. But, that is probably as irrelevant as knowing how much anyone (else) expects to spend per month over the next 10-20-years.' Everyone has a different 'monthly nut to crack' (housing costs, etc).

IMO, when most people finally decide to retire, they simply adjust their lifestyle to their assets and expected income (which, unless they are the government, they have already been doing while working) ... and move-on. If they have less than they need, they adjust (going back to work at an advanced age is hardly a dependable option). If they spend less than their income, they either spend more on other stuff or make their assets last longer ... or give money to the kids/grandkids.

The thing many retirees struggle with is the often unpredictable variation between 'Retirement Planning Assumptions' .... and reality. For example, many pre-2005/8 retirees determined that they would be able to indefinitely withdraw 4-5-percent from their savings, but, .... are now spending principle, years before they expected to. Then, there is the equally unpredictable matter of inflation, rising health costs and increasing taxes.

Take a look at your projected budget; build-in a safety cushion and match that against your income, plus the amount you expect to withdraw from your assets. It's not really 'rocket science' ... except when it comes to guessing how long you will live and how healthy you will be. But, even there, one can consult a wide variety of online calculators ('life expectancy'). There is no magic formula. -- Good Luck!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
new york city and about 8-9k a month. but 15k a year or more is going to be just medical insurance until medicare age. .

Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
I think 3,500 is reasonable but I have no idea what it includes. You need to make up a budget. Be sure to cover health care, replacement of cars, home repairs etc.
Did you include income taxes in the 3,500?
The 45 minute drive maybe a problem and a big expense as you get older. Be sure to budget for it.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
As much as I can get, from a wife 8 years younger, who is still working, maybe untill she tips over ! It does make a difference if you are self employed as I was for over 40 years, now it's my turn !

Old 01-15-2013, 06:52 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
If you own your home, $3500 sounds very doable. Travel entertainment and cost of health care will probably be your biggest unknowns. You might have to forego some travel depending on your circumstances and how healthy you are. Figure out what you NEED and then go from there.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
It is not so much a factor of owning your own home as it is improving cash flow by reducing housing expenses.

A renter who goes from a 3 bedroom apartment when the kids lived home to a one bedroom retirement pad gets the same improved cash flow as someone who finishes paying a mortgage.

In fact it can go the other way. We have a two bedroom apartment in nyc. We bought a 3 bedroom 3000 sq ft home in the poconos that we thought we would retire to.

Well that 3 bedroom home was needed now because all the kids would be staying over when they come . Now no one needs to stay over in nyc.

That house cost more a month then our apartment.

The point is home ownership may or may not matter one bit. It is all going to be about cash flow and not what you own or rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement