Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone... let's try to stay on-topic and minimize the bickering.

People are free to choose different lifestyles, and it's no one's place to judge what others do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Then you get the books with the large print.
Simply getting books with large print will not solve the problem for all eye conditions. First of all, not all print comes in the correct size and depending upon the print itself, not all are readable. Second not all books come in large print and while we are at it, not all books come in audio versions. But one can get thousands of books on e-readers.

The great thing about e-books is not only the size of the print is adjustable but the type can be too. And with the new white paper, they are easier to read than ever. Also all books that come on the e-readers can be adjusted in this manner. That's why it's great that the libraries can now lend e-books.

Speaking as one who has loved to read from before they began grammar school but almost had to give up reading due to an eye condition, I am so grateful for e-books I can't say praise them enough. For me they almost make the difference between giving up reading and being able to continue reading.

So I will support libraries not only for supplying books but for moving up to the modern age of e-readers and computers and any technolgy that will enable everyone to obtain information and even entertainment in the best way they are able.

Last edited by Minervah; 02-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: my computer is fading out on me.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Must differ by region. I (and sister and mom) have worked in big and small libraries and have noted the increasing lack of use by teens.
Agreed, regional difference could be an explanation. I remember the last time you came to Virginia and were amazed at how different senior centers were down here than in your region. Next time you come down, swing by a library and you might be surprised by the young people there (and if it's like my library, the number of young people reading, not just hanging out).

Getting back to the topic of walkability, I agree that it's great when libraries are within walking distance, although if a community is building a new one I can also understand the need to build on less expensive real estate and the desire to choose a site with a great deal more parking, since lack of places to park seem to be a common complaint. Many of these new "town centers" that are being built incorporate a library, and sometimes a library placed next to a senior center or a community center. I think that's a great plan. Ironically, these new town centers are sometimes a few miles away from the center of town. So the facilities would be walking distance to those who live in the new development, but not so much to those who live in the older parts of town.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-13-2013 at 06:20 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Good points, Caladium. Our new library moved from the old center of town to the new geographic center of town. Over the years, our community has spread out and the old center of town was no longer central to population.

And yes, parking can be challenging. The old library had limited parking and complaints from patrons because of that. Our new library, located in a shopping center and is a re-purposed former supermarket, had lots of free parking, more bike racks and a much higher use for not only books and media centers, but public meeting rooms, concerts, and many other new offerings that the expanded space allows.

Its location is not so walkable as its old location for some, but usage has grown by leaps and bounds...whether patrons come by foot, bike, car or bus...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Agreed, regional difference could be an explanation. I remember the last time you came to Virginia and were amazed at how different senior centers were down here than in your region. Next time you come down, swing by a library and you might be surprised by the young people there (and if it's like my library, the number of young people reading, not just hanging out).

Getting back to the topic of walkability, I agree that it's great when libraries are within walking distance, although if a community is building a new one I can also understand the need to build on less expensive real estate and the desire to choose a site with a great deal more parking, since lack of places to park seem to be a common complaint. Many of these new "town centers" that are being built incorporate a library, and sometimes a library placed next to a senior center or a community center. I think that's a great plan. Ironically, these new town centers are sometimes a few miles away from the center of town. So the facilities would be walking distance to those who live in the new development, but not so much to those who live in the older parts of town.
Thinking about this, rather than diff's in region, I think it's cities vs. towns. The Boston Public Library (BPL) as a big city library is fantastic. The towns throughout New England are another story. They are not well funded, before and after the state gives them a bajillion dollars to build brand new facilities. They (the smaller town libraries ) are really not used by teens, and the graying users are going to vanish. Innovative towns (very very few and far between in NE) are building combined facilities (e.g., library + senior center) instead of totally separate facilities thus wasting many resources. The senior centers in the towns of New England are the pits in general. They are often housed in crumbling defunct schools with leaking roofs. Regional planners need to think more realistically and demographically. In many respects the South and Midwest are much more advanced than many parts of New England.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Hard to say. I know some small towns with wonderful libraries, so it's hard to say it's a case of cities vs towns. Winchester, VA, for example has a great library. I've been to it 4-5 times, which admittedly is not all that much, but every time I've been there I've seen lots of young people. So what's happening in your small town isn't necessarily the norm for every small town. Might be true for a lot of town, I really don;t know one way or the other. But to be honest I think it's simply a matter of libraries being more important to some people than to others, no matter if they live in big cities or small towns.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-14-2013 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hard to say. I know some small towns with wonderful libraries, so it's hard to say it's a case of cities vs towns. Winchester, VA, for example has a great library. I've been to it 4-5 times, which admittedly is not all that much, but every time I've been there I've seen lots of young people. So what's happening in your small town isn't necessarily the norm for every small town. Might be true for a lot of town, I really don;t know one way or the other. But to be honest I think it's simply a matter of libraries being more important to some people than to others, no matter if they live in big cities or small towns.
Could it be a matter of how a library is funded? Here in Mass. some funding comes from the state but you can't do much without town funding. The small towns just can't afford good libraries and the poorer small towns usually have a library in a 100 year old small building that's only open a few days a week.

I've lived in some small towns that were not like the norm: the library got funding from wealthy benefactors or the townspeople got together and voted lots of money for the library but usually a small town library is not very good in this state.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Could it be a matter of how a library is funded? Here in Mass. some funding comes from the state but you can't do much without town funding. The small towns just can't afford good libraries and the poorer small towns usually have a library in a 100 year old small building that's only open a few days a week.

I've lived in some small towns that were not like the norm: the library got funding from wealthy benefactors or the townspeople got together and voted lots of money for the library but usually a small town library is not very good in this state.
Possibly. I suppose it could be a sort of death spiral--I could see an argument that if a building is cramped, there isn't enough parking nearby, and isn't open very often, then people won't tend to use it. And if people don't use it, then residents won't vote to build a better place. And so on and so on.

Another small town with an amazing library is Williamsburg. The Scott Street library has fine art, an impressive collection of books (especially the historic works), wonderful chairs, and even a concert hall with a stage. It's one of the main reasons we're trying to move there. I'm not sure if it was a gift from a benefactor, or voted for by the residents, but it's worth noting that a high percentage of the residents are wealthy retirees who moved there because they love history, as well as students/faculty at William & Mary.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM

555 posts, read 892,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
To answer your question, "walkability" is very important to me. Even though our present location is walkable, my wife and I are planning to downsize to a condo in a couple of years when our child is out of the nest and the new location will hopefully be walkable. I am hoping to sell one of our two cars at that time in order to cut costs (insurance, maintenance, etc.). As I grow older and my ability and/or desire to drive diminishes, living in a walkable area will allow me to maintain some independence without having to rely on friends and neighbors to drive me around. I've seen too many elderly people who are no longer able to drive become virtual prisoners in their own homes. Living in a walkable area would allow me to participate in life to a greater degree if I was no longer able to drive.
A reasonably affordable and definitely walkable small town is Marietta, Ohio, where I lived for twenty years. (We moved to be closer to work, and I still miss the old place, though our current town is fine, too.) The "downtown" area (using the real estate neighborhood definitions) has late 19th-and early 20th-century houses at a variety of price points, a few more recent single-family homes, several small and reasonably well-managed apartment buildings (mostly built between 1890-1970), and three condo complexes (more expensive than many houses, but with great views of the Ohio River).

For me, "walkable" meant within a mile and a half, so within that distance were the following:
a fine small public library
a supermarket and a small local grocery
a discount store and two convenience stores
a farmers market
a hospital and several medical offices
hair salons
the actual downtown with a mix of restaurants and shops
at least a dozen churches
a private college with good programming for the public
a riverside walking trail
a public wetland preserve
a branch of the North Country Trail
a local theatre group

We may move back to Marietta in retirement.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
hey everyone... Let's try to stay on-topic and minimize the bickering.

People are free to choose different lifestyles, and it's no one's place to judge what others do.
Thank you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement