Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Bella Vista. Been through there a few times on our way to and from Eureka Springs. Nice area. The parents of a guy I used to work with moved to Rogers and they had nothing but good things to say about it.

What a beautiful part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Got Rhubarb ? I can't believe how much I am missing THAT today. Mine was just coming out 4 weeks ago when I left home headed to Asia for a couple months. I will get back before June, but will miss the prime season of rhubarb.

Coming from a prairie kid... gotta have my rhubarb. I did the villages of Van Buren on my last trip to IA. They were very nice. I had met locals at a Co-op training in WI, so we got together, and I stayed in several farm homes of Mennonites. It was a great time, and in May, so you KNOW what I was eating for dessert.

Can't say I will add IA to my own short list, but I can understand why it is on many's, and yes, spring should have extra meaning this yr, as you see what can recover from the late snows. And seeing your favorite stuff POP through the snow / soil. As a fruit grower, I hate losing my blossoms to heavy snow, frost, mildew, hail, wind... (farming is SUCH an adventure ). But losing Blossoms saves a lot of future Maint / spray / thinning / harvest / storage / selling.
I love rhubarb, but don't have any. My mother always grew it and we used to sit in the patch and pull it and eat it. Man, that is a wonderful food! And rhubarb pie, oh yeah!!

And don't put Iowa on your short list, I wouldn't even put it on your long list. It is a wonderful state full of great people, but between the winters and the taxes, no thanks. They are easing the tax burden on retirees a bit, but still...

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-27-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 PM

419 posts, read 656,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are not in TN, but we did think about retiring there and spend several days visiting the small towns between Nashville and Memphis. I think there are a lot of benefits to living in TN. We are happy here in NWA but I think we would have been happy in TN as well. Good luck, remember, the good thing about retirement: if you pick the wrong place, you can always relocate, you don't have jobs to worry about. I do agree with you as for amenities. Yes, it is nice to have them at your finger tips, but having your own, private lot, a little away from your neighbors gives you a little more freedom and flexibility. For us, what we have is perfect right now.

remember, the good thing about retirement: if you pick the wrong place, you can always relocate, you don't have jobs to worry about.

Yes, exactly. That is why we will rent.

We actually were considering Bella Vista at one time, or the Rogers area. Can't remember now why we marked it off our list. Maybe good medical facilities. Have a friend in Bella Vista who told me the medical there can't compete with Vanderbuilt (TN) and Duke (NC). Hubby went to Eureka Springs one year with his motorcycle club and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. He also thought it was amazed that he was not bothered by mosquitos. It was in August when he went.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bristol was my favorite city...
, but yeah, an occasional weird smell in the air. Small price to pay IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Can you tell me more about northeastern TN? The area I am wondering about is Mountain City, the area in the far n.e. corner of TN.
Mountain City is very isolated for retirement, and it gets quite a bit more snow than the rest of the area. I wouldn't consider it unless you are very self sufficient and plan on staying that way for a good long time. What in particular made you look at this city?

Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
...And lagoon or forest will be interesting. I will need to ask about the upkeep on lagoons and narrow down the definition of forest. Perhaps windbreak would be a closer description...

I'm only bothered by over pushy religious types and then rarely...
When it comes to wooded areas - be careful. An awful lot of people who move here to wooded areas don't realize that we turn into "fire country" in the dry winter and early spring. There's a ton of advice written in Florida government websites:

Firewise Communities in Florida: Protecting Your Home from Wildfire: Florida Forest Service- FDACS

It applies to other parts of the SE that have similar vegetation.

Also - as a result of massive fires here in NE Florida during bad drought years in the late 1990's - we now have building/zoning rules about ingress/egress points to communities with more than X houses. Too many people then were caught with their "pants down" (only one way in/out of where they lived - with that one way being blocked by fire).

FWIW - in terms of religion - someone can be very religious without being evangelistic. I don't think you'll ever find a super-orthodox Jewish person who will try to convert you . Robyn

Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Mountain City is very isolated for retirement, and it gets quite a bit more snow than the rest of the area. I wouldn't consider it unless you are very self sufficient and plan on staying that way for a good long time. What in particular made you look at this city?
As far as the snow Mountain City gets, that is fine with me! (see my original post) I'm not planning (or am I even interested) in going off the grid, but I think I would like some isolation. What drew my interest to that area of n.e. TN is the scenery. But, it is true that I could probably be better off living in JC or Bristol and being near the convenience they offer. I could still take "day trips" or short trips in the areas I'm wanting to see. Plus, since I'm looking for a condo or townhome, those are probably only available someplace like JC or Bristol anyway.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:58 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
As far as the snow Mountain City gets, that is fine with me! (see my original post) I'm not planning (or am I even interested) in going off the grid, but I think I would like some isolation. What drew my interest to that area of n.e. TN is the scenery. But, it is true that I could probably be better off living in JC or Bristol and being near the convenience they offer. I could still take "day trips" or short trips in the areas I'm wanting to see. Plus, since I'm looking for a condo or townhome, those are probably only available someplace like JC or Bristol anyway.
I don't live there or visit in the winter, but I do talk to a lot of delivery drivers who have routes in Mountain City. From what they tell me there are times when they cannot do their delivery runs because conditions on the roads up there can get pretty bad when it does snow, not so much in the city itself, but the roads between Mountain City and anywhere else!!
I have a coworker who does frequent day trips to Mountain City from Bristol, so very doable. Asheville isn't far either, and tons of gorgeous places to explore no matter where you live in the area. Have you checked out the photo thread on our subforum?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I don't live there or visit in the winter, but I do talk to a lot of delivery drivers who have routes in Mountain City. From what they tell me there are times when they cannot do their delivery runs because conditions on the roads up there can get pretty bad when it does snow, not so much in the city itself, but the roads between Mountain City and anywhere else!!
I have a coworker who does frequent day trips to Mountain City from Bristol, so very doable. Asheville isn't far either, and tons of gorgeous places to explore no matter where you live in the area. Have you checked out the photo thread on our subforum?
Yes, I've seen the photo thread...the pics are just breathtaking and beautiful! You do live in a scenic part of the country. Thanks for the info on the winter road conditions in Mountain City. I think it probably would work better for me to be in JC or Bristol. Chances are I wouldn't be out driving around on a frigid, snowy day anyway. But I do see the advantages of being in a less isolated place. The photo thread does make it difficult NOT to want to move there when the time comes for that. Thanks for your good information! Tell me more about what Bristol is like. What would major differences be in living on TN or VA side?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:21 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
Quote:

Quote:
I should have clarified in my prior post, Mountain City would not be a good place to retire to. When I saw MC mentioned, I immediately thought of Mike & Lisa's thread, just very interesting IMO. I have a friend from childhood who moved to Elizabethton several years ago. He said if he had to do it over again he would have settled near Bristol instead. Much nicer downtown. The photos that Dubble mentioned on the Tri-Cities forum are gorgeous!

Last edited by smpliving; 04-28-2013 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 AM

Sounds good. And I did see Mike & Lisa's thread, though at the time I didn't know it was near Mountain City. The scenery is just awesome! I guess now I need to research more about Bristol. From what I've read here, it seems like Bristol would be a better location than JC, at least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement