Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:01 AM

130 posts, read 297,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Personally, this does not sound appealing to me at all. YMMV I want to live near services so I can drive myself, walk, or when the time comes, use public transportation, taxis or handicap transportation, none of which are available in rural areas. And I want to be able to attend things going on in town without having to drive an hour and a half one way.
I wonder why people don't consider living in Richmond, VA -- i.e. within city limits, not the burbs, if you like city living. Richmond has a lot of the amenities of city life and I find that I can afford to rent an apartment here in a very nice, central location, without a car, and walk to my doctor's office and the university campus, and entertainment, restaurant and shopping venues. I moved here in 2014 and I'm just scratching the surface as far as discovering its many pleasant surprises. I walk to the Amtrak station, which is a beautiful historical building, and to many restaurants. It has an international airport and many other facilities. I take Amtrak to DC (where I worked before retirement) and get back the same day when I want to visit friends or attend events and art/cultural exhibits. NYC isn't too far either by train.

It is not a crime-ridden city as what local news would have you believe. Every city has those areas, but the sad thing is that the media tend to overemphasize it by making it prime news. Volunteer opportunities abound and, if you really want to work, there are many opportunities for that, too. There are hundreds of Meetup groups -- you just need to take the initiative. I haven't encountered racism or any unpleasant issues. I believe that it is one's comportment that triggers unpleasant behavior from others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 04:21 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I did luck into a buyer. He was on the original crew that built my house and loves the house. It'll be cash.
UPDATE My cash buyer evaporated. I called the realtor who sold me the original property in 1992. She came over, looked around "lots of dog hair!" and said that her handy guy could do the updates in a week or two after I move out and have the house on the market on May 1. I am so relieved, couldn't figure out how to move out of one house, drive 2200 miles, and into the next house and get the updates done. (Just paint, floor finish, bedroom carpet, general cleaning).

My builder in Colorado broke ground yesterday. I will have two mortgages until I sell my current house. Working like crazy to get some cushion going. These are very nice "problems" to have.

Am getting dog #4 today, a bit younger than my usual seniors. A 6-year-old deaf cattle dog. I hope I'll have him for a good long time.

Last edited by volosong; 09-02-2017 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Well, it has been about a year since I moved from Homestead, FL to Lafayette, Indiana. I am sooooo happy here! Life is so much easier for me in Indiana. Food is way cheaper. Insurance (auto and home) is a fraction of the cost in Florida. My supplemental health insurance is $100.00 a month cheaper here. Lots of hospitals here. Traffic is a breeze with good, patient, aware drivers. People are so nice, friendly, aware of their surroundings, polite. It is a world of difference from the chaotic, third world, high crime, scammer filled, expensive, unfriendly area I was living in Florida. While in Florida, I had developed a driving anxiety. Rude, aggressive, unaware drivers are the norm in Miami-Dade county. Just awful!!

I am retired, so icy roads and snow does not affect me. I watch the weather and plan ahead if necessary. I love the four seasons! We only had 6 days this summer with temps in the 90's! Last winter was a mild one with little snow. It is nice to have a variety of weather instead of the constant intense sun, high temps and awful humidity day after day from mid May through most of October. I remember a couple years ago, in south Florida, cool temps did not arrive until December! With climate change, it is only going to get worse. No hurricanes or terrible thunderstorms, day after day, up here!!!

Life is a breeze up here and my stress levels have bottomed out!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:02 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, bullie, those are the reasons I am still here in AZ.

Started the thread to see how many of us WOMEN ALONE have actually made the transition successfully and are happy with their new home. Not many have responded and I am one who is still on the fence. Visited the new town twice; bad ideas about it still plague me. Its the "Bible Belt" and I am concerned about me fitting in. Also I don't know anyone there. I know how to meet people, make contacts, etc. but my daughter is here, not there. The "what ifs" are overwhelming me and I can't decide what to do. Pretty soon my old body will be too old to do it anyway if I keep this up. What's the solution? I don't know.
Hey Barb, I'll "switch" with ya! I'll take the Bible Belt and you can have my little Cape Cod in SE PA with lots of shopping, theatre, restaurants and activites and 10 miles outside of Philly - no state tax on retirement funds.

I'm exactly 60 1/2 and want to retire at 62. Never married, no kids or ties, but will always have dogs (which will always include a Doberman, so the 55+ communities are out for me, as these wonderful canines are BANNED). I'm looking at Southern DE or Lancaster, PA . Looking for LOW RE taxes and low-cost single home with some ground - prefer semi-rural to high-density suburbia and NO interest in city living. And of Course: must have a good Bible church

Old 09-02-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Well, it has been about a year since I moved from Homestead, FL to Lafayette, Indiana. I am sooooo happy here! Life is so much easier for me in Indiana. Food is way cheaper. Insurance (auto and home) is a fraction of the cost in Florida. My supplemental health insurance is $100.00 a month cheaper here. Lots of hospitals here. Traffic is a breeze with good, patient, aware drivers. People are so nice, friendly, aware of their surroundings, polite. It is a world of difference from the chaotic, third world, high crime, scammer filled, expensive, unfriendly area I was living in Florida. While in Florida, I had developed a driving anxiety. Rude, aggressive, unaware drivers are the norm in Miami-Dade county. Just awful!!

I am retired, so icy roads and snow does not affect me. I watch the weather and plan ahead if necessary. I love the four seasons! We only had 6 days this summer with temps in the 90's! Last winter was a mild one with little snow. It is nice to have a variety of weather instead of the constant intense sun, high temps and awful humidity day after day from mid May through most of October. I remember a couple years ago, in south Florida, cool temps did not arrive until December! With climate change, it is only going to get worse. No hurricanes or terrible thunderstorms, day after day, up here!!!

Life is a breeze up here and my stress levels have bottomed out!
Wow, Popcorn...Now THAT was an eye-opener! Very, very interesting. May I ask what gave you the idea to look in Indiana? Family? Friends? "Best Places List?" Never considered that. Thanks for posting.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Wow, Popcorn...Now THAT was an eye-opener! Very, very interesting. May I ask what gave you the idea to look in Indiana? Family? Friends? "Best Places List?" Never considered that. Thanks for posting.
I grew up in Lafayette. Check it out....on Google. It is the home of Purdue University, lots of industry, agriculture, a booming middle class. The only Subaru manufacturing plant in North America is here. People can live on a single income. My next door neighbors, youngish couple with three young children, are originally from San Diego. They moved here because the COL is low enough that they can live on his Post Office carrier's salary.

Lafayette has a beautiful, old downtown area. Lots of the buildings date back to 1850's to 1940's and are beautifully preserved.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I grew up in Lafayette. Check it out....on Google. It is the home of Purdue University, lots of industry, agriculture, a booming middle class. The only Subaru manufacturing plant in North America is here. People can live on a single income. My next door neighbors, youngish couple with three young children, are originally from San Diego. They moved here because the COL is low enough that they can live on his Post Office carrier's salary.

Lafayette has a beautiful, old downtown area. Lots of the buildings date back to 1850's to 1940's and are beautifully preserved.
I'm on my THIRD Subaru - maybe it's a sign - LOL! When and why did you go to Florida? So many of my friends are moving there within the next year or two - and I just don't get it, having been to both coasts several times. Each time I COULD NOT WAIT to get home.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I'm on my THIRD Subaru - maybe it's a sign - LOL! When and why did you go to Florida? So many of my friends are moving there within the next year or two - and I just don't get it, having been to both coasts several times. Each time I COULD NOT WAIT to get home.
I moved to Florida right after graduating from Purdue. I worked there 41 years. Eighteen months after retiring, I put my home up for sale and moved back home.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:09 AM

Default !!

Quote:
Kennett Square - the home of Longwood Gardens. What a gorgeous place!!

Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
UPDATE My cash buyer evaporated. I called the realtor who sold me the original property in 1992. She came over, looked around "lots of dog hair!" and said that her handy guy could do the updates in a week or two after I move out and have the house on the market on May 1. I am so relieved, couldn't figure out how to move out of one house, drive 2200 miles, and into the next house and get the updates done. (Just paint, floor finish, bedroom carpet, general cleaning).

My builder in Colorado broke ground yesterday. I will have two mortgages until I sell my current house. Working like crazy to get some cushion going. These are very nice "problems" to have.

Am getting dog #4 today, a bit younger than my usual seniors. A 6-year-old deaf cattle dog. I hope I'll have him for a good long time.
Bless your heart - you are MARVELOUS!!! Hope the move goes smoothly with all the fur children. Are you mapping out doggie hotels along the way? Just getting my 3 to do a 25-mile trek was an ordeal, and the then-puppy had to be sedated!

Last edited by volosong; 09-02-2017 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: hypertag cleanup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement